Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:53:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionUNDЯWATЯ[CANCELLED-ISH]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: UNDЯWATЯ[CANCELLED-ISH]  (Read 3885 times)
genericuser
« on: February 22, 2009, 02:06:43 PM »

You, [SUBJECT NAME], have volunteered to test our glorious new underwater vessel!
Now, you must perform simple tasks to satisfy our research needs!
Do not fear! You will be guided during these tests!
But you must be careful! The equipment is experimental!

[HELPFUL PROVERB]!

This is gong to be my first "proper" game/entry, made in Blender. It will most likely be one or more "spatial navigation puzzles" Tongue

Right now, I'm currently in the planning/prototyping/GAAAH-WHY-WON'T-IT-WORK stage.

Screenshots:

First screenshot, 22/02:

EDIT: I'm probably going to focus my attention on Super Cockpit Football Fighters instead of this. I might make this game later, but ATM, consider it cancelled.  Sad
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 09:48:14 AM by genericuser » Logged
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 02:11:04 PM »

I was thinking about making an underwater game... I ended up not, but I'm glad someone else is! Good luck, this could be real cool!

genericuser
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 02:13:56 PM »

I was thinking about making an underwater game... I ended up not, but I'm glad someone else is! Good luck, this could be real cool!

I'm not sure how much you're going to notice the underwater aspect during gameplay; if you eff something up, you WILL notice it, though  Corny Laugh

But thanks, I really hope I can make a good game out of this  Smiley
genericuser
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 12:17:08 PM »

Haven't accomplished much yet, except for adding mouselook, which unfortunately has a small problem; when aiming up at a certain degree, the mouse control flips, so that moving the mouse left makes the view move right, and vice versa. (I'm still undecided as to whether I should advertise this as a feature to the "hardcore"/IWBTG gamers.)

I'm also having problems with the Blender Game Engine and pixel shaders, limiting me to using version 2.45.  Apoplectic

I have worked out the basics of the (first?) puzzle, though, and I've also figured out (roughly) how to implement it.  Smiley

genericuser will now resume planning/prototyping/GAAAH-WHY-WON'T-IT-WORK-ing UNDЯWATЯ.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 12:24:49 PM »

Haven't accomplished much yet, except for adding mouselook, which unfortunately has a small problem; when aiming up at a certain degree, the mouse control flips, so that moving the mouse left makes the view move right, and vice versa. (I'm still undecided as to whether I should advertise this as a feature to the "hardcore"/IWBTG gamers.)

That's because when you're pointing the mouse straight up the look vector and the world up vector are both [0,1,0], which makes dot and cross product calculations... problematic. Anyway, depending on framework the result can be that the up vector in inverted (from 1 to -1) etc, which generates the effect you described. Restrict the mouselook look vector from straight up and down to solve this.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
genericuser
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 12:35:42 PM »

That's because when you're pointing the mouse straight up the look vector and the world up vector are both [0,1,0], which makes dot and cross product calculations... problematic. Anyway, depending on framework the result can be that the up vector in inverted (from 1 to -1) etc, which generates the effect you described. Restrict the mouselook look vector from straight up and down to solve this.

I'm not sure if it's going to work, seeing as there isn't supposed to be any constraints on the mouselook(which actually is intended). I guess the only way to find out is to try.

But anyways; thank you, I'll definitely look at this.    Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 02:13:45 PM »

<tech>
You can work around this, but IIRC (it's been a while) you'll have to manually create your camera view and projection matrices since you can't automatically generate an orthonormal coordinate system when you allow the look vector of your view matrix to be aligned with the world up vector ([0,1,0] or [0,-1,0]).
</tech>

Looking forward to screens and demos and a hot dog!

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
genericuser
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 02:36:53 PM »

<tech>
You can work around this, but IIRC (it's been a while) you'll have to manually create your camera view and projection matrices since you can't automatically generate an orthonormal coordinate system when you allow the look vector of your view matrix to be aligned with the world up vector ([0,1,0] or [0,-1,0]).
</tech>

Looking forward to screens and demos and a hot dog!

I'm not that skilled with Blender, but I'll try to keep that in mind when I'm looking at the game Tongue

I did find a quick fix for this problem; however, it makes it a bit awkward to control. When I get time, I will fix the mouselook properly. I MUST FIX IT.

*ahem*

I'm not sure about screens, but I'll publish the demo when I get the first puzzle working. Assuming that I get more ideas for puzzles.

As for the hot dog; will this E-hotdog do?  Corny Laugh

genericuser
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 03:09:47 PM »

I really haven't done much since the 23rd. Real life has kind of...interrupted my work on UNDЯWATЯ. I'm also still struggling with the mouselook.  Angry

However, I did get one thing done; Super Cockpit Football Fighters, a "TOTALLY AWESOME" football game. By getting that game done, I hope to learn stuff about Blender and game development that will help me finish this game.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 03:48:14 PM »

Holy hot dog, Batman, I'll never need another! Also cool to see that you're behind TWO of the more interesting games in this compo! IMO Blender is a fine app but it takes quite some time getting used to.

genericuser
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 09:46:17 AM »

I'm not sure if I'll manage to complete this game  Sad

I'm probably going to focus my attention on Super Cockpit Football Fighters instead. I might try to make this game later, though.

As for the spatial navigation puzzle I thought up, it worked something like this:

You're inside a spherical submarine, with a button in each cardinal direction. These buttons are marked with letters indicating what they do(N for the "go north"-button, for instance). The player is guided through an underwater course through the HUD, being instructed on which buttons to press. However, things soon go awry, and the submarine collides with a big object, causing the letters to disappear. The player must then remember which button does what, and what direction they are facing.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic