Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:59:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAduladi: Flo's Awakening
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Aduladi: Flo's Awakening  (Read 8369 times)
Maisnon!
Level 1

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2009, 03:44:31 PM »

Crappy slightly sped up early gameplay video!!

Prelude

What a fancy name! Aduladi sounds like something straight out of Age of Empires. It means strong believer, and this is what the tribe Flo belongs to are. Their world is falling apart: shamanic spirits are sent away into distant realms by the witch doctor Zanal, who's dark powers stretch beyond the material world.

Flo is brought into a state of trance in order to retrieve the spirits from these far away worlds: and it is you, who takes control of her on her journey.

The story is likely to grow and change during development, because it is kind of cliché. Then again, it is going to be a traditional platformer with a few simple twists.

Oh, Flo by the way, means Arrow.

Inspiration

I started working out the idea a week ago or so. I drew most of my inspiration from the likes of Jill of the Jungle, Alladin for the SNES, Addams Family for the SNES and a lot of diffent music groups Tongue

If anyone here has ever played the Addams Family, they know that the game is deadly simple but still loads of fun because of the ability to pick your own path, the difficulty level, and the great level layouts and little secrets.

Reading through the Death in Video Games topic, I kinda stumbled upon this idea of snapping out of a dream: when something bad happens in dreams, you usually tend to wake up.

The thing with Flo is: she's got to stay in meditative state in order to continue her journey. Death will cause her to slightly slip out of trance, and through a few seconds lasting minigame kind of thing you'll have to snap back into trance again.

This minigame, ofcourse, has got to have some interesting replay value, else it will just become annoying after 20 deaths Tongue

Development

I am ofcourse, working on the engine level first. I used to work with The Games Factoy back in the days, then did a little Multimedia Fusion, but it was always this personal fooling around thing. I haven't got a lot of experience to make stuff like Fifth or Hempuli do for example, but I have my ingenuity and I can work my way around things.

Not everything of course: this topic is also a shout out; some stuff I will need help with, and I hope some of you TIGers who are true MMF geniuses can shine their light on this Smiley

I've made the basic platform engine, added a sliding movement, and I am currently debating whether I should make a rope hang/climbing movement, swinging on a flagpole like movement, or swinging on a rope momevement thing.

My passion is graphic design and making music, and I am an product design student: it is the experience and love for a product that thrives me in this, and this I will also try to add to the game: something atmospheric and magical that is rememberable and lovable.

Screenshots

The resizing messed up her eye, eek

Currently developing

Engine level!
New acrobatic movement!
Enemy behaviour!
 - Need help! I want some bats falling of the ceiling a lá Super Mario World. These bats need to detect the player ofcourse. How do I go about this without making seperate detectors? Comparing X's and Y's?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 07:13:42 PM by Maisnon! » Logged

Call me what you want, but don't call me in the morning.
professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 04:15:53 PM »

omg this is cool Grin

is that a foliage at the top? it's too...repeated?
what other kinds of environments are in this - planned or created or trashed?
Maisnon!
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »

I can see where you're coming from with that foliage Smiley it's repeated haha.

I didn't want to give it a ceiling of bricks, but it felt a bit more intimate with some kind of ceiling (you can jump through it, it's layered in front of you. 't was something I enjoyed in The Addams Family. (TAF from now on, haha)

By the way, as soon as my blabbering about TAF becomes anoying, let me know. I just enjoy it a lot Smiley

Other worlds that I have in mind are a cloud world a lá Mr Nutz (SNES), and I've got loads of ideas that never were in my notebook for possible worlds. It kinda grows and creates itself, I don't want too much to be concrete already, else there would be nothing to explore for myself anymore either Smiley
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 04:31:47 PM by Maisnon! » Logged

Maisnon!
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 06:56:03 PM »

I added a gameplay vid Smiley

It's not on the beloved vimeo though, don't have an account their yet Tongue

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 07:06:55 PM »

Wow that looks very nice Beer! maybe you could change the coins for something more in tune with the main theme and the spirituality?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Maisnon!
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 07:13:04 PM »

Yeah they're kinda temporary Smiley

They fill up some type of energy that is used for something not decided upon yet.

How generic!

Anyways, they don't float like coins, they're more like bouncing blobs, I don't like traditional coins at all Smiley

I was thinking about how upon collecting, they burst and whatever mysterious gas like substance is inside, floats towards and inside of Flo.

The gameplay vid show's the way they look now.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 07:19:55 PM »

Mervellous. This looks rather great. Dig the environs. Such a nice blue tone.

The red worm, however... a little over-detailed, I think? Looks almost 3D when compared to everything else.
Maisnon!
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 07:24:42 PM »

It's kinda hard to find an enemy that fit's properly in the environment. I'll just experiment some more until I find the right feeling and type of enemy.

I had a green lizard before this, but he was too dark. Animated him fully, so I'll save him for some other environment Smiley

The worm was too flat at first, then it didn't stood out enough at all, and now it might be too complicated indeed.

Hmm, I could give it less colors. Right now I cheated a little by using a transparent brush on it, which I don't really want to do anyway Smiley

Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 08:02:01 PM »

The scrolling background and moon look really good in action! Also I'm getting a Castlevania vibe from this, by all means a good thing. Keep it up.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 02:51:27 AM »

Yeah I'd definitely go over the worm again manually if you used a brushy thing on it. Smiley The game's looking really nice so far.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 04:51:21 AM »

Thought I'd pop by and say a few words of encouragement.

This is looking pretty spiffy! I like the general color scheme in this area. The colors could maybe use a bit of tweaking to get the foreground and background to pull apart a bit more, but I'm just nitpicking there. I'm really liking the flat shading and clean shapes you're using.

Ha, everyone's picking on the worms! I could see them working well with flatter shading, maybe a highlight color + two red shades. I like the hard lighting along the top edges of the worms, that's probably worth keeping.

It seems like you're having a lot of fun making this, and I always find that inspirational. I look forward to seeing how this progresses.
Maisnon!
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 06:20:08 AM »

I did some brushy brushy cheating to find the color to make the highlight blend well into the red Smiley but it needs to be a bit flatter perhaps.

You know what's annoying too? I'm working on a laptop, small screen, and my refresh rate is not that high. When I run through the level, it's kinda more blurry, tested it on someone elses normal pc big monitor thing and it worked great.

I don't know if it will work in my advantage or against me, we'll see Tongue

Thanks for the support you guys Smiley

I'm gonna see if I can implement rope/flagpole swinging now, wish me luck Smiley

Maisnon!
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 07:07:23 AM »

Wow, I noticed I definately needed ledge hanging too, and I never thought I could make it work, but... I managed to do it  Shocked

Morality +1

professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 07:33:17 AM »

Wow, I noticed I definately needed ledge hanging too, and I never thought I could make it work, but... I managed to do it  Shocked

Morality +1

congrats Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right
Maisnon!
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 07:52:14 AM »

Thanks!

I'm having a hard time though getting a proper animation/pose for the hanging Tongue but at least the engine part works Smiley

mirosurabu
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 08:29:59 AM »

From mentioned video, I can say there is some sweet stuff there. Haven't read your post. Will do that some other time.
The Ivy
Level 1

Offices in Miragia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 05:52:39 PM »

Awesome video! I especially like the sliding motion she can do, and the physics you've incorporated into it. I'll definitely be checking up on this. Smiley
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 02:10:02 AM »

Looks great. One thing I noticed in the video is that you can't slide through low gaps without a bit of momentum, which sounds fine in theory but in practice ... i even got a little frustrated by the mechanic just watching the part in the video where you have trouble getting it to work. It also makes no sense from a physics point of view as there's no way she has enough momentum to get that far through the gap without being able to propel herself while she's in there, so maybe just make her able to go through from stopped?

Just my 2 cents though.
ChevyRay
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 03:13:44 AM »

Lookin' fantaastic! I agree about the sliding. While the need for momentum might seem like a good mechanic, I think it'd end up being a more frustrating than fun one.

I love your colors though, and the gameplay looks great so far! The music is KissKissKiss all the way!

It looks really fast to play, which is great for folks like me :D who love platformers, and beat YMM games in one sitting. But expect lots of complaints XD I'm getting difficulty complaints from skullboy's testers, and the acceleration is probably half of your game's.

Seriously, though, this looks just awesome. Keep updating!
Maisnon!
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 04:08:02 AM »

Looks great. One thing I noticed in the video is that you can't slide through low gaps without a bit of momentum, which sounds fine in theory but in practice ... i even got a little frustrated by the mechanic just watching the part in the video where you have trouble getting it to work. It also makes no sense from a physics point of view as there's no way she has enough momentum to get that far through the gap without being able to propel herself while she's in there, so maybe just make her able to go through from stopped?

Just my 2 cents though.

Yeah there is a treshold speed for the sliding, I could lower it. The thing is, for the video I kind of messed up haha, normally I slide through the first one jump and immediately slide again but I was hitting the wall constantly.

The wall above the small hole. This stopped me, then I had no momentum, then I couldn't slide Smiley

Lookin' fantaastic! I agree about the sliding. While the need for momentum might seem like a good mechanic, I think it'd end up being a more frustrating than fun one.

I love your colors though, and the gameplay looks great so far! The music is KissKissKiss all the way!

It looks really fast to play, which is great for folks like me :D who love platformers, and beat YMM games in one sitting. But expect lots of complaints XD I'm getting difficulty complaints from skullboy's testers, and the acceleration is probably half of your game's.

Seriously, though, this looks just awesome. Keep updating!

The music is by Olafur Arnalds, a song I liked and just put under the video Tongue I put it in the description on youtube too.

There is little chance an amazing composer like Olafur from Iceland would help little old me with the musical score for some game Tongue But I know a few artists that are willing to help though.

And the accelaration and stuff are all up for the tweaking. It's a little bit tooooo fast perhaps :D

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic