Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:12:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAduladi: Flo's Awakening
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Aduladi: Flo's Awakening  (Read 8368 times)
ChevyRay
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 04:10:05 AM »

It actually isn't too bad of an idea, but maybe don't put the slides right on tiny ledges.  think it'd be fun to chain your moves to get through the levels as smoothly and quick as possible, but when you gotta jump around like that because of some technical reason, it kinda draws you out of the game a bit, I find.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 05:51:04 AM »

Yeah, I too think that Mirror Edgy momentum-based movement could really work, especially for a game that fast and dynamic. It would also be something new in retro platformers, which tend to be pretty basic. It would obviously require some extra consideration in level design (like removing that wall), but could ultimately help the game in getting some distinct character. It also fits the character's name.

Anyway, it looks really nice. Keep us updated. And if you are looking for a composer, I might know two that could be possibly interested.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 12:32:48 PM »

This looks lovely!  Great style and animation.  Did you create the music too? Hand Thumbs Up Right

Light criticism: I'd like to see a quick transition animation between running and standing and (I dunno how reasonable you'll find this, but) I think you should steer away from collecting hearts and coins and think of a different way to propel the player.  Something more... dream-like?

Anyway, keep up the good work!  Smiley

- Need help! I want some bats falling of the ceiling a lá Super Mario World. These bats need to detect the player ofcourse. How do I go about this without making seperate detectors? Comparing X's and Y's?
Yes, that's right.  A simple box check should work.  (A box based on the bat's position that extends downward vs. the player's collision box.)

ChevyRay
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 01:24:35 PM »

The music is by Olafur Arnalds, a song I liked and just put under the video Tongue I put it in the description on youtube too.

There is little chance an amazing composer like Olafur from Iceland would help little old me with the musical score for some game Tongue But I know a few artists that are willing to help though.
There are lots of composers hanging around TIGS looking for a delicious project like this to write for Smiley Just put up a request. I think you should show your musician, when you do get one, the music in the preview, though. It correlated strongly with the game's visuals, and I think a soundtrack written with the same mood would be spectacular!
Maisnon!
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 12:06:14 PM »

I don't want it to be tooo physics based Mirror Edge like though Smiley

I think a game like that would work, but I don't consider myself proficient enough with MMF to really get a sense of freedom (and perhaps MMF is not the best 'language' for it either)

I would like to add some acrobatic elements though. Like in the Super Nintendo version of Aladdin Smiley

The transition frame can be done easily I think Smiley good idea

Call me what you want, but don't call me in the morning.
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 12:13:11 PM »

I thought A Game With A Kitty 2: Darkside Adventures did a pretty good job with the whole "running up walls" type deal. And that was made in MMF2.

You should try it when you feel you can warrant it, Mais.

Currently brainstorming for a project
Super-Dot
Level 1

hup hup

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2009, 09:54:15 AM »

First, I wanted to say that this looks absolutely delicious. Kiss

That said, the gameplay video makes Flo look a bit weird sometimes. The running animation keeps going when she's running into a wall; it'd be good if it stopped.

She has the ability to stand with one leg on the platform, one leg off; that looks weird, and could be remedied with a "whoa I'm falling off" sprite, like in Spelunky.

She doesn't recoil or anything when she lands. It might be a good idea to have one or two frames where she bends her knees, with a variant for when she's running and one for when she's standing still.

Finally, I reiterate: Kiss

Kelsey Higham, student at SJSU
Maisnon!
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2009, 03:12:18 PM »

Smiley Yeah all those little things I will do when finalising the engine level. I just didn't have any time yet (and busy with my internship work at the moment WTF )

Thanks for the feedback however :D any critique is welcome ofcourse

Call me what you want, but don't call me in the morning.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic