Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:57:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTime Break Chronicles - Retro JRPG-inspired roguelike with 100+ classes
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: Time Break Chronicles - Retro JRPG-inspired roguelike with 100+ classes  (Read 38809 times)
WGCorndog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2017, 10:44:20 AM »

Interesting concept and very cool art - would look right at home on the SNES. Gave you a follow on Twitter, too.

In my head this is sort of a Suikoden meets Chrono Trigger with Roguelike mechanics - does that jive with your own vision?

I'd say those are definitely influences. I loved Suikoden. You'll be able to see even more influence when we start detailing the city building aspects of the game, they are very reminiscent of Suikoden. Thematically, the game is similar to Chrono Trigger as well, we've discussed many ideas, and have tried integrating things that make it feel like time itself is weird and broken.

DuskedSky
Level 0

Jack of many trades, master of none

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2017, 05:35:10 PM »

This game is easy on the eyes. I love JRPGs so I'll be following this!

WGCorndog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2017, 02:14:40 AM »

This game is easy on the eyes. I love JRPGs so I'll be following this!

Glad you like it!

We are planning on posting dev updates more frequently, potentially leading up to a kickstarter.

oddcat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2017, 07:17:23 PM »

Retro, JRPG, Roguelike, and over 100+ classes. With the Chrono series influence and pixel graphics, I feel like you're speaking to my heart.
WGCorndog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2017, 09:30:26 AM »

Character of the Week

Leon the Knight:
Well armored and good with a sword, Leon can valiantly protect his allies from attacks.

Sample Skills
Leon may not be the flashiest of characters, but his solid offensive and defensive abilities aren't something to be ignored.

Guard Strike
Deals Physical damage and
increases Toughness.

Chivalry
Passive. Protects allies in
a critical state.
Joust
    Deals Physical and Stun
damage to enemies in a line.
Duty Bound
    Passive. Reduces damage taken
while protecting allies.

Leon's Sword (Relic) - Physical Attacks occasionally taunt enemies. Grants Guard Strike skill.

Planchton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2017, 10:19:17 AM »

Nice game! Good luck in the future Smiley
foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2017, 10:25:12 AM »

Interesting concept and very cool art - would look right at home on the SNES. Gave you a follow on Twitter, too.

In my head this is sort of a Suikoden meets Chrono Trigger with Roguelike mechanics - does that jive with your own vision?

Or like Romancing Saga 2 but with more classes? (Hint: It's one of the best and most underrated games ever)

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
WGCorndog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2017, 01:39:51 PM »

Nice game! Good luck in the future Smiley

Thanks! We have thoroughly enjoyed the development process. We are very passionate about the genre, and think it will really show in the final product.

WGCorndog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2017, 03:00:13 PM »

I was going to make another character post (and I likely will in a few days), but decided to do delve deeper into some game mechanics. Those mechanics, being how we handle death, and how the "roguelike" elements come a bit into play.

The system for death we have settled on is akin to a few other games. We have a "bleed out" or downed system in place once a character reaches 0 HP. This effect lasts for three turns, and once the timer runs out, that character is permanently removed from your party. However, if you can manage to resurrect him, with various skills or items, then he is back to fighting shape. In addition, if the battle is finished before the downed timer finishes, the character is automatically restored to low health. You'll never end up dragging dead guys around with you.

It should be noted, that resurrection skills are also...intentionally clunky. Whether it be a spell that has a random delay, permanent stat reductions to the character, or limited uses. They tend to be skills that you don't want to completely rely on. In most instances, finishing the battle within a round or two will be the much preferable option.

WGCorndog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2017, 10:08:06 AM »

Character of the Week

Amenemhet the Jackal:
Powered by the ancient god Anubis, Amenemhet controls sand and souls.

Sample Skills
Amenemhet has a mixed bag of skills, letting him support, tank, or deal damage as needed.

Sandstorm
hides allies for three turns.

Spirit Shield
Some damage taken is taken
from MP before HP.
Guide Souls
    Passive. Gain HP and MP when
an enemy or ally dies.
Locust Strike
steals MP over time.

Anubis Stone (Relic) - Increases Toughness and Discipline. Grants Spirit Shield skill.

WGCorndog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2017, 10:19:44 AM »

In addition to the new character, I realized recently that I haven't specified what each of the attributes do. Basically, we have them separated into three "groups" of three, each representing the standard strength, intelligence, and dexterity. While they all have their primary effects, there's numerous abilities, traits, and relics that have secondary effects based on them.

Strength
Power - Increases damage of attack based skills.
Toughness - Decreases physical and stun damage taken
Endurance - Increases maximum HP

Intelligence
Focus - Increases damage of non-attack skills (spells, gadgets, etc).
Discipline - Decreases non-physical damage taken
Wisdom - Increases maximum MP

Dexterity
Speed - Determines how soon you get to act in battle
Technique - Increases chance to hit
Agility - Increases chance to dodge

WGCorndog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2018, 04:08:52 PM »

Exciting news everybody!

We are making fantastic progress and we hope to have a video to showcase soon. So many new enemies, characters, and animations to see. First look at features and mechanics hinted at and discussed already, as well as some new ones. Stay tuned!

sbeast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2018, 01:38:42 PM »

Exciting news everybody!

We are making fantastic progress and we hope to have a video to showcase soon. So many new enemies, characters, and animations to see. First look at features and mechanics hinted at and discussed already, as well as some new ones. Stay tuned!

Great, looking forward to the video update!

Sbeast - Composer / Cover Artist / Guitarist
http://luxbellator.com/portfolio
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: April 18, 2018, 12:10:08 PM »

This is beautiful...

slimehunter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2018, 02:57:47 PM »

This looks exciting. Good to hear you are working on it still. I just followed you on Twitter. Smiley
Also that plague doctor looks amazing.

ACTION-52-05DE4DA9
WGCorndog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2019, 03:12:27 PM »

Hey guys, took awhile to get the video finalized, multiple iterations and some changes to core mechanics that we wanted to include in it along the way, but we think it's finally ready to be posted.

WGCorndog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2019, 01:38:21 PM »

Character Review

Zane the Fire Mage:
Determined and passionate, Zane casts fire magic fast and furiously.

Skill List
A lot has changed since Zane was originally posted, and recently he has received an update to a more modern, more robust version of himself. His strength is primarily focused around his Overheat mechanic, but Combust has been added to his repertoire and many skills have gained unique interactions with Overheat. With Zane being unlocked early, it seemed fitting that a lot of his more complex synergies are unlocked at higher level skills to help stop new players from building too many stacks of Overheat too quickly with no way to deal with it.

Overheat (Passive)

• Level 1: Fire Skills increase your damage but take Fire damage over time
  • Level 2: Taking Fire damage causes you to gain Overheat
  • Level 3: Reduces Fire damage taken

Overheat can stack indefinitely, as long as you can mitigate, or otherwise handle taking more and more Fire damage. However, if you fail at your endeavors, there's always Combust...

Combust (Passive)

• Level 1: When Downed, deals Fire damage to all enemies based on Overheat
  • Level 2: Deals Fire damage to all enemies while Downed
  • Level 3: If an enemy is killed, instantly Revive

With Zane's low HP pool, and self inflicted damage, Combust helps give him a reward as such for excessive Overheat. At later levels, it even works as a survivability option against weaker enemies.

Flame Shield

• Level 1: Absorbs Fire damage taken. Consumes Overheat
  • Level 2: Deals Fire damage when hit by Attacks
  • Level 3: Gain Overheat when absorbing damage

Flame Shield serves as an Overheat management tool for Zane, to save you from self damage, and at later levels helping to build up huge stacks of Overheat. This is for when you don't want to blow up.

Dragon Breath

• Level 1: Deals Fire damage to front and back row enemies
  • Level 2: Deals Fire damage over time to enemies
  • Level 3: Gains Overheat when it deals damage

While Dragon Breath isn't particularly exciting on it's own, it really helps quickly building up Overheat stacks. A single use at the beginning of battle can instantly give three stacks, then an extra two every turn.

Ember Bolt

• Level 1: Deals Physical damage and regenerate MP
  • Level 2: Deals more damage based on missing MP
  • Level 3: Consume one Overheat to double strength

Ember Bolt primarily serves as a way to regenerate MP when low, but also helps give Zane a Physical damage option against enemies strong against Fire. The Overheat charged version can actually be quite scary.

Melt Armor

• Level 1: Deals Fire damage based on Toughness
  • Level 2: Takes Fire damage when hit by Physical damage
  • Level 3: Consumes one Overheat to last twice as many hits

Melt Armor provides Zane with an exceptional single target damage option. It really punishes enemies who would normally be resistant to your physical damage fighters.

Relic List
Reminder: Relics can potentially be shared with and bound to other characters, up to 4 equipped at one time

Zane's Passion (Relic) - Spells can sometimes grant a Free Turn.
Inferno (Relic) - Increases Fire damage. Grants Fire Blast skill.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:46:41 PM by WGCorndog » Logged

WarriorGeneral
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2020, 01:09:32 PM »

Hey all! We've had to take some time away for a bit, but I'm excited to announce the project is very much still alive, and in fact is coming to early access on Steam very soon!

You can wishlist and follow on Steam here:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1393500/Time_Break_Chronicles/

We even have an updated trailer for the release, finally with music and sound from the game.

We'll be updating with some more character bios soon to highlight some of the heroes you'll be able to find when you play the game on Steam.

Earworm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2020, 12:40:33 PM »

Wishlisted! This looks amazing. Combines some of my favorite types of games. Thanks for posting!
WarriorGeneral
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2020, 09:31:52 AM »

We've been posting developer updates on Steam as we continue our early access, but we realized this devlog thread could use some love for those who had been following it as well. So here is today's Developer Update!

We are getting very close to the release of Frozen Tundra (Act 2), so we've got another upcoming character teaser for you today, to whet your appetite.

You can wishlist, follow, or purchase in EA on Steam here:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1393500/Time_Break_Chronicles/

Brand, the Cleric
The Frozen Tundra abounds with evil and undead, so a holy man of strength and conviction will be invaluable in your efforts to defeat the cult's minions. Brand wields a blessed Holy Mace, ready to smash evil with holy damage. He can Consecrate the earth, and read the undead their Last Rites to banish them from the battlefield for good. As a man of the cloth, he also provides healing and holy protection to allies.

Kiara, the Banshee
Speaking of undead, Kiara is our first undead hero. Cursed to an existence as a ghostly banshee, Kiara mourns the loss of her allies with piercing screams and wails, dealing Sonic damage to the enemies who felled them. As a ghostly spirit, she is incorporeal, making her hard to hit, and she can also possess an ally to empower them with her own abilities. Kiara works fantastically with heroes who fall and are revived regularly, such as Carlos or Javed.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic