Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:59:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTime Break Chronicles - Retro JRPG-inspired roguelike with 100+ classes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Time Break Chronicles - Retro JRPG-inspired roguelike with 100+ classes  (Read 38800 times)
WarriorGeneral
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 06:11:27 AM »

It's Saturday, time for a screenshot of something recent! Recently we've set up some handlers for battle-mode backgrounds, and we've been working on some more character animation and effects for skills. Below is the Dark Knight class getting ready to use one of his dark magic spells, finally with a background for the battle scene to match the grassy tile set.

I've been working on a new tile set as well (snow/ice) to start showing some variety, since we want a lot more than just a grassy environment. More on that later, though.

WGCorndog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 05:37:16 PM »

Character of the Week

Yukiko the Assassin:
Striking with great skill and guile, Yukiko excels at quickly eliminating her target.

Sample Skills
Being an assassin, Yukiko has a wide array of skills
that help her quickly take out a single target

Ambush
Passive: Gain increased damage every
round that you are not targeted
Hide
Prevents enemies from targeting you
and decreases damage taken until next turn.

Kill
Attack that deals bonus physical
damage to a near death enemy
Throw Knife
    Attack that can hit the back row
    and is guaranteed to hit

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 04:28:24 PM by WGCorndog » Logged

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 05:33:24 AM »

This looks like balancing is going to be a nightmare. Cool idea though. But dang, lots of art is needed.

WGCorndog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 01:40:01 PM »

This looks like balancing is going to be a nightmare. Cool idea though. But dang, lots of art is needed.

Oh yes, balancing is definitely one of my concerns, and always has been. With so many moving parts it will be difficult to balance correctly.

However, the design/format of the game kind of alleviates a lot of the burden of balancing. There's a great deal of randomness during every journey through a time rift. A good portion of your party will consist of whichever survivors you find, whether they be combat powerhouses or more support oriented. If you happen to find the perfect party, that run may turn out to be easy. However, the next run you might find a handful of weaklings and struggle to get out alive.

A lot of that design philosophy is coming from playing lots of Binding of Issac. It's far from balanced, sometimes you'll find combinations of items that just make the game laughable, but at the same time, there's a lot of combinations that make that particular run more difficult than it should be. Finding the broken combinations of items ends up being just as fun as struggling through with no speed or damage.

I have a general template on "where to aim for" with characters when designing them, and spend a lot of time compiling and going through a floor or two with every skill of every character, at both level 1 and max level.

WarriorGeneral
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 08:15:03 AM »

From this week's Screenshot Saturday, I recently worked on a snow tileset. Here I am testing it out, after adding some code to generate footsteps as you walk:

« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 09:16:33 PM by WarriorGeneral » Logged

WGCorndog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2015, 04:28:06 PM »

Character of the Week

Zeke Stunning the Wrestler:
Shiny and sunglassy, Zeke is a high adrenaline fighter
who can taunt enemies into attacking him.

Sample Skills
Zeke is a glutton for punishment, being able to dish out as much of a beating as he takes.

Taunt
Taunts an enemy to target you
and reduces their damage
Anger
   Passive: Gain increased damage
   every time you take damage

Adrenaline Rush
Staggers taken damage and
increases damage dealt
Shake Off
    Remove negative effects and
    gain health for each removed

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 06:47:53 PM by WGCorndog » Logged

WGCorndog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2015, 06:17:33 PM »

Character of the Week

Caleb the Dark Knight:
Dark knight with heavy armor, Caleb overwhelms enemies with debuffs.

Sample Skills
As a heavy armor class, Caleb excels at taking a beating. However,
he also has an array of debuffs that help weaken his enemies.

Provoke
Taunts all enemies to target you
Dark Bond
Redirects a portion of taken damage
to an enemy as Dark damage

Eclipse
Spell that deals Dark damage to
all enemies and lowers their HP
Crush Soul
    Attack that damages the MP of the target
   and lowers their spell resistance

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 07:53:55 PM by WGCorndog » Logged

Gunlap
Level 0

Composer, Conductor, Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2015, 06:52:51 PM »

Ooooo. I love me a good Roguelike. I'll definitely be following this one.

From an audio standpoint - is each class going to have a unique kind of sound/musicy bit to represent them?
Dub J
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2015, 11:00:40 AM »

From an audio standpoint - is each class going to have a unique kind of sound/musicy bit to represent them?

I'm with ya, brother.

I like the wrestler class but am really interested in a troll class.  Is this going to be available?
WarriorGeneral
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2015, 10:24:09 AM »

Recently I worked on an update to the grass tile set, because I wasn't fully happy with my original base grass "texture." I also added some trees and more variations, and started to design the game's first real map sections, as opposed to the basic stand ins we had been testing with.  Here is a still and a lowish-frame-rate (to keep the image size small) animated walkthrough:

Also, to answer your question:

There will certainly be plenty of unique sounds for the various skills and spells and whatnot of each class, but I'm not sure it would be feasible or even really fit to have over 100 different music themes for each character. You can have up to six characters in your party at a time, so it might be kind of weird to pick a tune for just one of them.

As of now, we the plan is just having a general chiptune style soundtrack, with some unique themes for battles, boss fights, and certain special encounters.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 10:33:12 AM by WarriorGeneral » Logged

WGCorndog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2015, 12:42:58 PM »

Character of the Week

Gabrielle the Spellblade:
Swirling with mystical energy, Gabrielle weaves both sword and spell.

Sample Skills
Being able to use both spells and attacks, Gabrielle has skills to always get the upper hand.

Enchanted Blade
Passive: Attacks cause your next
Spell to grant a free turn
Mirage
Prevents enemies from being
able to target an ally

Soul Burn
Burns a portion of target's MP,
dealing Arcane damage
  Spell Absorb
    All Spell damage taken for
    the next turn is converted into MP

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:15:15 PM by WGCorndog » Logged

mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2015, 08:01:06 PM »

Holy shit that's a lot of classes, your artist did a great job.

However my only concern is that with this many classes you will lose focus and resulted in too many repeatable classes. Personally I would like to see a medium number of unique, balanced classes instead of many different classes with similar skills.

I can see great potential from this game, good luck and keep up the great work!

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
WarriorGeneral
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2015, 01:12:13 PM »

Holy shit that's a lot of classes, your artist did a great job.

However my only concern is that with this many classes you will lose focus and resulted in too many repeatable classes. Personally I would like to see a medium number of unique, balanced classes instead of many different classes with similar skills.

I can see great potential from this game, good luck and keep up the great work!

Yeah, I could see that being a concern. However, a good chunk of the characters to find are non-combat related characters, more designed around building up your survivors' town, so they are sort of a different part of the game. The town allows you to unlock power ups, items, and special events. These are characters such as a farmer, a banker, a blacksmith, a scientist, etc. I haven't gotten around to the art for many of those yet, simply because the combat-related classes are a lot more fun and interesting to show off.

Thanks for the comment!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 01:42:25 PM by WarriorGeneral » Logged

WarriorGeneral
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2015, 01:57:49 AM »

Last week I finished seven new character designs, for a total of 47 so far (which can be seen in the OP). Here are the new ones:

Gabrielle, the Spellblade, was outlined by Corndog a few days ago; she was a new design.

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2015, 07:19:41 AM »

Really excited to see 100+ classes of stereotypes. Please include a feisty woman, someone from Brooklyn that likes pizza, and a stingy Chinese person.

edit: That was kinda mean. Depth and nuance and specificity really help make your characters. Nobody likes playing a stereotype unless its a specific stereotype. Also accidentally objectifying someone is like one step away from intentionally objectifying someone.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 07:25:35 AM by xix » Logged

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
WarriorGeneral
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2015, 12:51:06 PM »

Really excited to see 100+ classes of stereotypes. Please include a feisty woman, someone from Brooklyn that likes pizza, and a stingy Chinese person.

edit: That was kinda mean. Depth and nuance and specificity really help make your characters. Nobody likes playing a stereotype unless its a specific stereotype. Also accidentally objectifying someone is like one step away from intentionally objectifying someone.

Hm, I guess I am confused on how you think I am objectifying anyone? I mean, yeah, a lot of our characters are based on certain real-life jobs or classic RPG tropes, but with limited pixel art, of course I'm going to highlight certain elements that "define" those things. How else am I going to show that X character is a knight or a doctor, in a way that is easy to comprehend for a player on first glance? Nothing there says the Chinese guy is stingy or the woman is feisty...unless you're reading into things from your own ideas.

Each character in Time Break will have custom dialogue for certain situations and interactions, to help flesh them out some, but it isn't "*insert stereotyped accented language here*" type stuff or anything like that. We are also attempting to a do a bit of lampshading on some of those classic JRPG tropes, with a bit of self-referential humor here and there.

However, a good roguelike game lets the player create his or her own narrative. It's not about pushing a heavy-handed story on the player, or injecting too much of your own voice into too many things. The player needs to have enough freedom to invent their own story, because the role-playing is what makes the whole genre fun. We're definitely trying to keep that in mind, and let the player do a lot of exploration without a forced storyline constantly injecting itself and dragging you away from what you want to do.

WarriorGeneral
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2015, 02:19:37 PM »

Recently I've been working on skill/spell animations and FX. This week's Screenshot Saturday shows the Viking's Lightning Hammer skill, cropped to show the relevant parts. I've also updated the battle background generator to use the new grass tile set.

WGCorndog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2015, 05:23:39 PM »

Character of the Week

Ralf the Jester:
Dressed like a buffoon, Ralf distracts enemies and entertains allies.

Sample Skills
Ralf tends to be a mixed bag, with some support, some offense, some defense, and some just...weird.

Erractic
Passive: At the beginning of every round
you gain bonus to random attributes

Throw Knife
Attack that can hit the back row
and is guaranteed to hit

Anthem
    Increases Power and Toughness
    for all allies for three rounds.
Acrobatics
    Passive: Gain increased Agility
    every time you get hit.

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2015, 05:46:39 PM »

That's an awesome concept. The way the terrain floats in space reminds me of toejam & earl, though I doubt there is much inspiration from that its a fun (and sort of awe inspiring) scenery nonetheless.

thecolonygame
Level 0

thecolonygame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2015, 09:09:12 PM »

Reminds me of Secret of Mana! Cheers to the sudden nostalgia!  Beer!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic