Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:22:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeStudy on color scale for loot rarity
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Study on color scale for loot rarity  (Read 1022 times)
MrHelmut
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 15, 2015, 01:30:01 AM »

Hey there,

I am trying to collect data regarding the color scales used in games where item/loot rarity is involved (most commonly hack'n'slash and RPG games, but not limited to).
To this purpose, I started a public google spreadsheet which I invite you to contribute. I would really appreciate some help.

This study is going to help me have inputs for a paper I am writing about game accessibility (inc. colorblindness) and (to be fully transparent) will also help us choose a relevant color scale in our ongoing project.

Also, if you are colorblind and/or had some bad experiences with colors in games, I'd greatly be interested in hearing your stories.

Cheers!

DanglinBob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 01:42:57 PM »

I don't know exactly - but you should probably include notes for which of these games

a) Has color blind mode specifically (and what changes)
b) has textural differences as well as colors.  IE: Some games have like big spiky borders around more valuable items in addition to color.

Gonna mess that clean and neat spreadsheet up though Smiley Still, interested to see we have collectively decided "Purple and gold/orange" are more valuable than Green and Blue. Doesn't surprise me given Purple and Gold are typically associated with royalty.
MrHelmut
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 02:10:07 PM »

Your comment is totally relevant and these are definitely features which should be highlighted.

You are also probably right about the gold/purple. I am currently making some research on color signification in most cultures to go with this spreadsheet. I am also wondering if the majority of games did some research or considered the Blizzard colors as a consensus.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic