Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411472 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 11:26:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSOLUS
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: SOLUS  (Read 4943 times)
doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 09:22:11 AM »

The art style is fantastic!

Nice style, somehow reminds me of the Dig.

Looking forward to see more content coming, keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Just wanted to say I'm really digging the mood you've got with this. Best of luck...

Cheers guys!

Just a little something Ive finished today.

If you approach a character or an object you can interact with you will see this icon.

This guy likes to smoke alot.

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
charliecarlo
Level 1

The Duke of Dementia

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 10:21:49 AM »

This looks like my kind of game.
The story so far reminds me of some dream-related Lovecraft stories.
The graphics are like a deep painting of pixels.
There's no way this could go badly.

doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 12:04:25 PM »

This looks like my kind of game.
The story so far reminds me of some dream-related Lovecraft stories.
The graphics are like a deep painting of pixels.
There's no way this could go badly.

Alot of things could go bad. But Ill be trying my best to fix them. I guess that's just game development.

Thanks. I hope you check it out when it is released!

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 02:59:33 PM »

+Note pickup

You can pickup notes now that fly in from the bottom of the screen (I thought it was more appropriate than fading in)

Sorry about the low quality gifs. Im using Gyazo at the moment although on the lookout for anything else.

Notes are jumpy as hell but I'll be fixing that tomorrow.  Durr...?

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
charliecarlo
Level 1

The Duke of Dementia

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 03:10:40 PM »

I really like that paper texture.
Except the perforations should have a line of paper after them.
It's hard to explain what I'm saying.
Here's a picture I found on the internet:

The torn, dangly bits on the right would give it more interest.

Maybe have silhouetted hands holding it, then have it return to the bottom of the screen.
So it looks like you're holding it up.

Might be weird considering you can see yourself/the world behind it.
But that's the kind of thing that falls under "video game logic".
And doesn't really ruin immersion.
Not any more than a paper flying in your face does to begin with.

doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2015, 09:48:49 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.

There will be a few different types of notes you can pick up so Ill keep that in mind when I revisit them. I was thinking about potentially overlaying a room which covers the entire window which is a POV of the character holding the note with some environment in the background. Although I am still deciding.

+ Fixed the shaking

Ive added your players hand on the side of the note when it is picked up (although im not sure if I like it at the moment so I have left it out for the time being) Im also just about figuring out how to make it return to the bottom after you put it back down.

I doubt this pickup system will be in the final game though. I'll definitely be revising it.

I am also thinking about making big weekly updates instead of making updates when I get things done. I've noticed this DevLog is looking a little unprofessional at the moment. But we will see!

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2015, 10:20:32 AM »

how and why do you keep bumping your devlog without new content ? you're not the only dev here and it's selfish.
doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2015, 10:28:10 AM »

how and why do you keep bumping your devlog without new content ? you're not the only dev here and it's selfish.

I made a few changes to my last post. Reason I didnt just edit the last post is because it is new content as I changed the gif.

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 09:02:05 AM »

Outside of the shack.

Inside the shack. I may rework the colors of this one.

I have been working on more art over this past week as the week previous to that was very programming heavy. It takes a full day to finish one scene like this and although it takes alot of time out of my day - I hope they are worth it. This is another key scene I have finished which will be playable in SOLUS' upcoming demo.

Any feedback is always appreciated. (And I apologize for the really bad gif)

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 10:37:03 AM »

Looking great. I like the use of the foreground assets, which (I think) is pretty uncommon in traditional pixel art. It adds a lot of depth to the scene. Nicely done.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2015, 11:58:09 AM »

From the GIFs you've shown us - the art direction is wonderful. Gritty, gripping - I really like that we don't see any distinction among the people; they're all just dark images. I think you're building a very cool world here!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2015, 09:29:51 AM »

Looking great. I like the use of the foreground assets, which (I think) is pretty uncommon in traditional pixel art. It adds a lot of depth to the scene. Nicely done.
From the GIFs you've shown us - the art direction is wonderful. Gritty, gripping - I really like that we don't see any distinction among the people; they're all just dark images. I think you're building a very cool world here!

Thanks alot guys. The lack of distinction from each shadow is something I was hoping people would notice. Its basically to portray them as just shadows with no real personality, or unique features. Although this isnt the case as you will find out. Shadows have families that they go home to when they are no longer needed on Earth.

The shadows you will meet in this world are the spitting images of their human counterparts. Although you are the only one who isnt and you feel trapped to an identity you have no relation to.

(Some more description on the story there) Smiley

I am also thinking about making the intro to the game in Earth where you play as a human and you meet all of these interesting characters and some enemies of yours too (while at school, or something). Then when you are transported into this other world as the humans shadow (main character) you will meet their shadow counterparts too. Which I think could be a great way to set up some enemy characters)

We will see.

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2015, 12:56:26 PM »

DUAL DUAL DUAL monitor hype

Here is some of my most recent art I finished today. As I have previously said - I wont be releasing every bit of art I make in this devlog as whats the fun in that.

I just want to apologize for the really short updates on this devlog. Producing this art take alot of time especially when I have planned to do other things and with all the other work I have to do to this game as I am a one-man team.

My week has been full with story planning/decision and working out what exactly I have mainly to do on the programming side. I'm gonna be working on switching rooms w/transitions and branching dialogue this week so hopefully a few updates on all that good stuff will be coming soon.

LOOKING FOR A COMPOSER
I am still looking for a composer to do some music for the demo! If you can offer your magic to a poor 18-year old for reasonable prices then email me - [email protected]

Mainly dark, ambient stuff. Cause that's how I roll.

Thanks.

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2015, 01:02:27 PM »

I really like that we don't see any distinction among the people; they're all just dark images.
The masculine form of the Latin word that is the title of the game (as well as the general shape of the silhouette) would suggest the character is unambiguously male tho, if you want to get really picky in that regard.

It would actually be rather cool to see if that could be left ambiguous as well (not necessarily for all characters, but just the one you're playing as) — in fact I've been considering doing just that with a section of my game (ambiguous silhouette), so it would be cool to see someone else's take on it as well.

Just a random thought that struck me when I saw your post, PN, as I'd been considering this myself.

Anyway, this looks gorgeous. Lovely details. Lovely art.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic