Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:49:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsARENA GODS - A Vicious Local Multiplayer Arena Game
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: ARENA GODS - A Vicious Local Multiplayer Arena Game  (Read 6824 times)
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 02:37:57 AM »

Prototype

Called 'Uproar', the original prototype was developed in GameMaker: Studio. It was a trial to see how the feel of Hotline Miami's combat adapted to a local multiplayer arena.

It didn't turn out to be much fun. I felt the problem was the shooting. While there was no reloading, even the smallest gun could still fire 7 shots before running out. With one hit kills, the result was players strafing around and firing frantically at each other, unleashing waves of bullets. When you did manage to hit someone it wasn't very satisfying. It didn't really convey a sense of achievement, skill, or power.

"It's dangerous to go alone! Take this."

Rodrigo and I had been working together for half a year. We had both quit our jobs the year before to pursue independence, but after several months and a handful of prototypes our pockets were light and our hands were empty. Morale was pretty low. Playing Uproar made it worse for me. I was unsatisfied and disappointed with it. I wanted to shelve it, but Rodrigo liked it. He got excited at the idea of a local multiplayer game. I think he may have been more in love with the idea than the game, but his excitement got to me. So I decided to give it another shot.

The 'Bullseye' Effect (also known as "BOOM! Headshot!")

I kept thinking about Quake III Arena. The machine gun was always the least satisfying weapon to use, but the rocket launcher was extremely satisfying, especially when you landed direct hits. I loved intercepting people who strafe-jumped around the giant statues in Q3DM1 with rockets to the face. The combination of reflexes, timing, limited opportunity, and prediction required to pull off such a shot, coupled with the crystal clear feedback of success from your target exploding into a shower of giblets, like some horrific piƱata, wasn't just satisfying, it was memorable.

Iteration

I'm a devout believer in the MDA framework. Every design choice I make is intended to achieve or enhance a feeling. I knew I had to limit the rate at which players could fire bullets, but it had to make good sense. Why does it work this way? Is it exciting? Is it meaningful?

TowerFall became a pivotal influence. I admired how:

• You're limited to 3 arrows, but you can pick up used arrows off the ground.
  • The controls emulate the tension and release of firing an arrow in real life, but still allow you to shoot intuitively as a gamer. On button press, X allows you to aim your arrow and on button release it fires. You can tap X to quick fire or hold X to aim and fire when ready.
  • Arrows have slight homing which allows players to think more rather than struggle with the controls.

Archery is cool. It could definitely work, but (A) it probably works better from a side perspective with gravity and (B) TowerFall already did it. I kept thinking about javelins. I've always been a huge fan of gladiators and I've always wanted to make a video game about gladiators. I've even built a couple of prototypes in the past. The dynamic of having to retrieve or acquire a new javelin every time you threw it was exciting. The theme was also very well suited for the excessive blood that I'd hope to have. So I stripped the game of all guns, added the javelin, added the sword, added the ability to catch and deflect projectiles, and added slight projectile homing.

Playtest

I walked over to Rodrigo's place, we booted up the game, and played. There we were, round after round, gleefully harpooning each other like sadistic idiots. We looked ridiculous, but we were having fun. We wanted to win. We wanted to show off. It was the kind of experience that left you wanting more.

But I had to be sure it wasn't just us who felt this way.

We held a playtest at my favorite coffee house, invited a bunch of friends, and bought everyone a cup. Most of the playtesters were gamers, but we also got a couple of non-gamers for good measure. In total we had a dozen people play the game.

The non-gamers struggled. The game speed was too fast for them. They had to constantly ask about the controls.

The gamers, on the other hand, hollered, trash-talked, laughed, and mashed buttons like their lives depended on it. Rematches were demanded and arms were raised. The sword was overpowered, room looping was buggy so sometimes players never came back (my bad), and executing was too fast (it was instantaneous on button press because I never made an animation).

I knew. Rodrigo knew. This was it. This game needed to be made and we were going to make it.

The sword was pretty overpowered in the prototype.

The ability to catch projectiles has been in from the start.

This is really inspiring Smiley

Your thought process about quick action games is the same as mine - I also try to make my game "mimic" Q3A in terms of feedback (explosions, gibs, effects, sounds) and game style (quick movement, responsive controls, skills)...

This is a really awesome game so far Smiley

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 03:46:44 AM »

I would really love to playtest this game!

bestmarkever
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 08:32:24 AM »

Your thought process about quick action games is the same as mine - I also try to make my game "mimic" Q3A in terms of feedback (explosions, gibs, effects, sounds) and game style (quick movement, responsive controls, skills)...

You're making us blush! Q3A is definitely one of my favorite games of all time. Have you seen

by Jan Willem Nijman? What did you think?

bestmarkever
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 08:35:17 AM »

I would really love to playtest this game!

We're hoping to make this possible very soon Wink

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 12:04:29 PM »

You're making us blush! Q3A is definitely one of my favorite games of all time. Have you seen

by Jan Willem Nijman? What did you think?

one of the best gamedev videos i've seen - this is how games should feel, IMO, no wonder all their games feel extremely satisfying. it's also one of my guidelines at my own gamedev.

no wonder i find your game so funny and extremely cool, can't wait to play it. something that will be perfect for those friday night drinking sessions with friends :D

bestmarkever
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 09:20:21 PM »

Arena Gods DevLog #2 - The Execution of Execution

A hot topic throughout our

this summer has been 'execution'.

Now

In Arena Gods, you can execute a knocked down opponent by standing over them and pressing B before they start getting up.

Like all moves in the game, once you start an execution you are committed to it until the animation ends or you're killed or knocked down. On average, attack animations have frame counts in the teens, but execution animations average 40 frames. They're considerably longer.

Each weapon has a unique execution animation. Currently, there are 3; unarmed, sword, and spear.

With Good Intentions...

Here is what I set out to achieve.

From the beginning I wanted execute to be its own button and not a contextual action of the attack button. I wanted to avoid scenarios where the game performs a different action from what the player intended. X is attack, Y is pick up/throw, and A is dodge so I used B for execute.

I wanted executions to be extravagant kills like in Hotline Miami which is why we made them long in comparison to the attack animations. I also wanted to implement some kind of feature in the future where you could earn 'glory' by performing spectacular feats, but had to risk exposing yourself while performing them. Glory would persist across rounds and could be spent to trigger things like having a weapon thrown into the arena or loosing tigers.

It was also important to me for each weapon to have a unique execution animation for visual variety.

Friction

Things don't always turn out the way you want them to...

Just about everyone complains that using a separate button for execute is unintuitive. While they all grasp it after a couple of matches, it is still an unpleasant stain on the game's input accessibility.

Being a 4-player game, what often happens now when a player tries to execute is they get knocked down or killed by another player who zeros in like a vulture. This is beautifully illustrated at 0:16, 0:21, and 0:46 in the video below. Funnily enough, the original victim often gets away. Because of this we've seen our playtesters wise up and reconsider executing at times. Our smarter playtesters will often knock a player down only to retreat if danger appears too close.

Arena Gods Pre-Alpha Playtest Highlights #3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL9dKVG9MW3eoulNpvbHSP1NTvl3X72B7Q&t=30&v=pF2iUCLWycQ
Sam owns everybody, but not before Mike makes a spectacular play in The Pit!

Because weapon attacks kill and don't knockdown, weapon executions don't happen. I've only ever seen 2. Currently, to perform a weapon execution you have to knock an opponent down by punching or throwing a sword at them and hoping the hilt hits instead of the blade. Then you have to go pick up a weapon really quick and move into position on top of the downed player and press B to execute before that player starts getting up.

Truth

Sooner or later you gotta face the music.

Using the B button for execute is clearly causing more trouble than it's worth.

I like that executing has an especially clear risk versus reward dynamic now because of the lengthy animations, but I dislike players complaining about feeling sluggish when they aren't supposed to be. Furthermore, a single stomp taking twice the amount of time of a sword swing doesn't make sense. There also isn't any point holding onto this idea of 'earning glory with spectacular feats' when it hasn't been thought out and I have doubts about whether it can even work. It would also be a mistake to dictate to players that an action is impressive because it has a long and cool animation. That would be completely artificial. Rather, the game should highlight feats as impressive because they truly are difficult to achieve. What's impressive in this

isn't Chun Li's wonderfully animated ultra, it's Ken's parry which is practically a single frame.

Since weapon executions pretty much never happen it's questionable whether they should even exist much less be lengthy and extravagant.

Iteration

So this is what I'm going to do next.

I'm going to deprecate the B button as execute and add execute to the X button as a contextual action. Pressing X will execute when standing over a downed opponent while there are no other opponents standing within range. If a standing opponent is close enough then X will attack instead.

I'm going to simplify the animations of all executions and shorten them to be roughly the same length as their corresponding attacks. Hopefully, the risk versus reward dynamic will still remain, but players will no longer feel sluggish.

Weapons executions will still remain for variety's sake, but they'll be visually efficient instead of extravagant.

I'm looking forward to our next playtest to see what effect these changes will have. I'll be sure to do a follow up post after.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:29:10 PM by Mark Parrish » Logged

Alex Strook
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 11:34:00 PM »

Looks so fun !! It's like niddhog on acid (if that's even possible)

I just the shadows projected by the wall to be really confusing, but maybe it's not as bothering when playing  Smiley

bestmarkever
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 01:33:35 AM »

Looks so fun !! It's like niddhog on acid (if that's even possible)

I just the shadows projected by the wall to be really confusing, but maybe it's not as bothering when playing  Smiley

We agree about the wall shadows. It hasn't sprung up as an issue with our playtesters, but for those who haven't played the game it looks confusing. I think our next art iteration should solve this completely. Really looking forward to unveiling it soon!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2015, 03:22:09 AM »

Really great insight on the execute button, thanks for sharing! I can imagine the context sensitive button is slightly less impactful and could be used accidentally at times. Was there a visual queue previously when the execute was available? Like a B icon? Not sure if it would help all that much but might increase players' reaction times.

I love the concept of glory being a feature between rounds. It really reward the more defensive types who stay alive even if they only get a few kills.

bestmarkever
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2015, 05:20:28 AM »

Really great insight on the execute button, thanks for sharing! I can imagine the context sensitive button is slightly less impactful and could be used accidentally at times. Was there a visual queue previously when the execute was available? Like a B icon? Not sure if it would help all that much but might increase players' reaction times.

I love the concept of glory being a feature between rounds. It really reward the more defensive types who stay alive even if they only get a few kills.

Thanks for reading!

Currently, the only way to see if you can execute a gladiator is if he is laying flat on his back. Once a gladiator starts getting up, once you see him moving, the execute opportunity is gone.

I'm personally not a fan of having icons in game space unless there is a very good explanation. I feel it's a cop-out. Why go through the trouble of making characters, objects, animations, and building a 'game world' if what matters to the player is an icon? A game's characters, objects, animations, and world should clearly communicate what is happening in the game, unless the intention is to be unclear.

I'm pretty confident the issue is solely due to the excessively long animation times. A lot can happen in 2/3 of a second. We'll know soon enough and I'll definitely follow up with how it all worked out.  Wink

FreakOrama
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2015, 05:25:16 AM »

This looks really fun with high tension rates xD

Games/Gamedev Hunter, currently developing Stitch
@FreakOramaXD
bestmarkever
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2015, 06:49:09 AM »

This looks really fun with high tension rates xD