Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:39:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Best game engine for 2D fighting games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Best game engine for 2D fighting games  (Read 7810 times)
filosofiamanga
Level 1

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2015, 07:39:27 PM »

Ok guys, my dream is to make a 2D fighting game, but my problem isn't the art, but rather to found an easy way to code it.

It's not that I am afraid to code it, because I learned to code in Java/C# and got a basic roguelike with A* and quadtree collision in monogame.

Problem is, I wanna have an engine focused on 2D combat, so I can relly on features made by better programmers.

I know about mugen but I can't stand it's weird pseudocode.

I also know about 2DFM2k2 and even if I like it, I stumbled with problems, the lack of english documentation is pretty frustrating.

Also the fact these engines are way limited and can't use 3D backgrounds and online.

I'm not afraid to learn new engines, but I just want something easy to use that uses a real scripting language like C#, python or lua or javascript.

I would love if there's one with a basic input manager for fighters and basic platformer tools.

I tried unity, but I don't see how can you make a fighter without some convoluted spaggetti in the animator.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 06:16:17 AM »

Yeah, this is why I'm actually writing an engine for 2D fighters from scratch. Well that and general education.

At the rate it's going I'll let you know when the first release is (circa 2020 :D ).

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 07:14:10 AM »

Ok, so the list of features you want for your engine comprises:
- Customizable movement and collisions
- Good integrated scripting language
- 3D Backgrounds
- Live online combat

I don't know if you've tried Game Maker yet, but if you haven't, you might want to consider using it. Collisions are pretty easy to manage with instances, GML is all around pretty good for this kind of thing, basic 3D is doable in GM:S even though I've never personally messed with it and, even though it's a bit advanced, online multiplayer is possible with enough coding. There might even be networking libraries available for that. There's no visual editor for fighting moves though, so if that's a factor then there you go.

Chaoseiro
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 05:32:54 PM »

I've never tried it, but there's this framework for Unity: http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php

Making Games Like A Sir!
X-UniTMX, a Tiled TMX Importer for Unity3D
X-UniTMX Forum
pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 06:34:45 AM »

I wrote with an open source DiveKick clone (never really "released" it, because I couldn't find art for it that wasn't the ripped sprites I was using). It's a similar engine to a 2D fighter, but less complicated.

But once you have the hitbox/one hit KO; you can then expand to add health and other types of hits (knockdowns, stuns, throws, etc.)

The hardest part will be the netcode. Despite spending ages getting my network code working nicely, there's still the odd random desync.
Janionano
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 04:51:23 AM »

A friend of mine has been making a 2D fighting game in Unity. Since I started with GameMaker Studio 2 and explained to him how it is easy to create, he went to experiment. But he stated that in GM you don't have a interface (neither in GUI or code) to define individual hitboxes for each frame. Can be done via code, but it is more complex than in Unity.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic