Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:44:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsB-GamesWeißer Punkt in der Schwarzlücke [Finished]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Weißer Punkt in der Schwarzlücke [Finished]  (Read 31266 times)
Movius
« on: September 03, 2007, 04:38:35 AM »

Edit: Game Finished, Download here.

This thread announces that my entry for this esteemed 'b-game' competition is nearing completion despite my loss of almost 2 weeks to some horrid cacophany of flu-like symptoms.

The game shall be known as Weißer Punkt in der Schwarzlücke: Special unrated unedited deluxe director's cut edition and is best described as a cross between The Marriage and House of Leaves.

It has the following fantastic features:
  • a game
  • director's commentary
  • making of
  • bonus previews
  • special interactive menu
  • director profile
  • images and text

This game is serious business. so serious in fact, that no preview pictures can do it justice. However, a quote from the director's commentary is appropriate.

It is of course immediately obvious that there is a great palette of artistic expression afforded by the concept of Jumping Smileman.

I hope that you will be moved and enlightened by the finished product.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 01:14:07 AM by Derek » Logged
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 01:54:39 PM »

Finally, a pretentious German art-game! Where have you been all this time?
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 05:18:28 PM »

Weißer Punkt in der Schwarzlücke

"White Point in the Black Space"

Hmm, interesting...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Movius
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 07:52:11 AM »

The game is now complete. Depending on your interpretation on midnight september 13 PST, it's either a few hours late or the best part of a day early.

Get it here.

In order to meet my artistic vision, I've had to sacrifice a few things along the way. Including but not limited to:
  • Sound
  • Graphics
  • Gameplay
  • A plot
  • fun

I hope you'll find the game as profound and as moving as I do.

Here are some links to images that may or may not be related to the game...
here
here
and here
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 08:22:25 AM »

This is a truly humbling work, whose importance I think we will only be able to attempt to grasp decades hence. This game redefines everything we know - from video games, through interaction, ideas about space, and Australian rules football, to the very screen.

(I laughed my arse off. My stomach hurts. Cheers :D)

Movius
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 08:54:47 AM »

Thanks, I'm hoping to get more sporting licenses in the future. Extreme International Cricket perhaps.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 09:03:31 AM »

I must admit, I have laughed very hard at the game too! :D
Cheers!

MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 10:31:04 AM »

I'm sorry to tell this to you, but on my Notebook your work was spoiled, and the atmosphere broken, by a stuck green subpixel in the lower right area of the screen. This involuntarily introduced point of familiarity in an abstracted world became a focus of closeness and emotion, breaking the emptiness and taking from me all ability to understand your great vision. :D
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 11:00:17 AM »

I'm sorry to say, but I didn't find this funny.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 12:15:36 PM »

I'm sorry to say, but I didn't find this funny.

That's because it's meant to be a serious alegory on the human mind's stupid and futile search of meaning in our world. It's art, not comedy.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 12:36:19 PM »

Learn some respect! Wink

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 12:59:59 PM »

I love that you put "House" in House of Leaves in blue!
Movius
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 10:04:43 PM »

Thank you all for your kind comments. It is pleasing to know that there are others who recognise the true gravitas of this work.
captaincabinets
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 12:34:24 AM »

Finally, an artist who can identify and extrapolate on the Sysiphean struggle of soul's inherent loneliness. To experience and engorge my own internal metaphysical landscape on such an avant-garde work was as refreshing as white wine on a cloudless summer day. While my own opinions of MS Solitaire deviate from your thesis, however convincingly your central posits are argued, I feel that I have finally found an equal in this serious business of what I call the "falsification of fun".

P.s. On a serious note I am looking forward to AFL 2020, just so I finally can guide the saints to a flag! The "research"/soccer screenshot was hilarious.
Movius
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 02:38:47 AM »

One has to recall that when Solitaire was released, the union of visual stimulus with user interaction in serious art had progressed little beyond 'Thag turn page' or even 'Thog press play'. Certainly there were 'games' around but they were mere tools of distraction for the great unwashed to fill their 'leisure' time with.

What Solitaire did was penetrate to the very core of the working man/woman's soul at his/her workplace. Revolutionary for it's time.

It may be legitimate to claim that it 'hasn't aged well'. I disagree, there are still those shocked and ultimately consumed by it's bold proclaimations.

Also, a Saints flag in 2020 would indeed be a dark and terrifying future. I recall travelling to Melbourne in 1997 to witness this horrifying prospect be narrowly averted by 21 brave souls from Adelaide. The world is lucky to have avoided such a cataclysm.
captaincabinets
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 03:37:33 AM »

Is it perhaps no small coincidence that soon after the 1966 grand final Walt Disney, the original "Merchant of Fun", kicked the bucket? Were they to win another, I would not be surprised to hear of the demise of music and dance in all forms.

The thing we must consider, and my problem with Solitaire, is that despite the rife biblical subtext (cards "ascending" to the top stacks), it still attempts to provide the player with a thinly veiled simulacra of "fun". It is a trojan horse - if you will - displaying that its feeble attempts to engage with the active thinkers among us are only skin deep, and that Solitaire's beating heart contains only a desire to please the plebeian masses.
See for example the end cinematic of the supposed "win" state. The green grass of the background, which represents the freshly cut lawn of spring time, is coupled with the metaphorical "birth" of each card from the top stack. Each card then proceeds to to gambol and frolic across this "lawn", seemingly conveying an innocence and freedom of heart that will never ring true in this Age Of Terror.
Movius
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 08:32:23 AM »

An interesting interpretation of the text. The obvious response to this though, is that Solitaire was originally released into a supposed era of unprecented peace, between the end of the paranoia related to the cold war and the alleged terrorist menace that infests the subconscious of the zeitgeist today.

This peace was of course both superficial and fleeting. Much like the 'joy' provided by the playing of Solitaire. Yet while the dream of fighting for everlasting peace is long gone, Solitaire remains. Why? The fact that their is no deception in Solitaire's shallowness and this is why it is such a momentous achievement.

While on the subject of terror. This segues nicely into the other discussion. I seriously doubt that chance alone is responsible for Osama Bin Laden's re-appearance occuring in the same week as Collingwood's progression to the preliminary finals.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 11:01:02 AM »

When I was first introduced to that attempt of yours, I commited the error of thinking that it could well be the first satisfactory foray of modern dialectic in the world of interactive computer behaviorism -vulgarly called "the video-games".
But How wrong I was. I quickly unveiled your fraud.
The obvious error of leaving the experimenter with the option to move the white pixel diagonally when two orthogonal directions are selected on the keyboard interface, reveals an utterly disgusting concession to the lower forms of intellectualism referred to as "entertainement", by giving the experimenter the possibilty to go faster than in any single orthogonal direction.
I am here to reveal your fraud, because I will not accept this as a "programming error". I am accusing you of trying to subconciously influence the experimenter with the notion of cheating and overcoming the social rules by moving diagonally at greater speed than what could be obtained during a posed rational thought, therefore turning your program into a vehicle for the mentally deficients. I was personally affected as I unwittingly wasted one minute of my time doing what couldn't be described better than by the terms "madly moving the pixel around like a drooling retard"...

I will be deleting this program from the memory of my computer, and returning this computer to the merchant that sold it to me, as a display of protest.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 11:09:33 AM by moi » Logged

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
captaincabinets
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 12:33:58 PM »

Could it not be said that this "speed" you speak of is a satirical take on man's inherent desire to move with more haste? And that this flawed wish of the id, which does not result in any apparent gain within the strictures of the experimental field, is also intrinsically meaningless when applied to a world of reality, a world in which we must partake willingly or unwillingly?
Movius
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 10:28:53 PM »

Such arrogance to refer to the use of 'cheating' as if the supposedly traditional set of directions ('up', 'down', 'left', 'right') are the only true vectors for movement. One could just as easily say that the user is 'punished' by being forced to move at a slower velocity because they are merely following the arrows on the keyboard or the boundaries of the screen, rather than truly thinking about the direction they take.

Your fear of diagonals is understandable but unfounded. Man has traditionally associated diagonals with evil. The speed attained by the diagonal movement in this work (sqrt(2) pixel widths per move) is close to the supposed golden ratio ((sqrt(5) + 1)/2) and usually referred to as 'phi') which is intrinsically linked with satan (consider that -phi = Sin(666) + cos(6x6x6)). The speed of movement in the 'traditional' directions is a mere 1 pixel per move, which is closely associated with the perfect unity of 'god'.

There is no shame in fearing these things. However it is best that you move beyond these superstitious beliefs before it clouds your judgement of serious works even more.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic