Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:34:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralThe Doom Comic
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Doom Comic  (Read 6027 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2007, 02:58:36 PM »

In the spirit of the B-Game Competition, I come to you bearing a link to what is quite possibly the most hilarious thing in the internets (at least for me). I bet some, if not most of you have heard or read it, but for those few who have not seen true art, here is it:

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/doomcomic/

The Doom Comic

Be enlightened.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 05:56:16 PM »

Oh my god...

I wanna be a man and a half!

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 09:17:13 PM »

Rip & tear, kiddies!

Movius
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 10:04:45 PM »

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 10:30:28 PM »

win

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 02:48:46 AM »

Imps? Zombies? You think you can get me?!?  (Wait, maybe they don't think.)  Well I do! And I think you're dead!

I heard that Shakespeare plagiarised them.

But, you know, it's easy to laugh at this comic, but it does perfectly capture the, um, plot of the game: get bigger and better guns, kill bigger and badder monsters...  I just don't think all that many people were producing a constant babble of stream-of-consciousness insults as they did so.

At least, I hope not.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 07:12:34 AM »

Some concepts can't be translated to other mediums. Try to make Space Invaders - The Movie staying as true to the original game as possible and you'll get something very silly, most certainly. If you're going to make a Doom comic, you should try and think up a storyline in the Doom universe, and not perfectly translate the game into comic format, or else you get this.

That is, if you do include speech bubbles and some kind of plot. Maybe a completely silent Doom comic with only good artwork on its pages would work much better.

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 07:45:20 AM »

There were also Doom novels. You can imagine the quality of those.

GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 09:04:14 AM »

I think this comic was fully successful at what it set out to do.  Large parts of it are clearly tongue-in-cheek, like the environmental rant.  Most of the commentary I've seen on the comic has been redundant and unnecessary.  Yes it's ridiculous!  What else could it be?

Also, you know they're making a Joust movie?  I mean the arcade game, with the ostriches.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 09:26:04 AM »

I think this comic was fully successful at what it set out to do.  Large parts of it are clearly tongue-in-cheek, like the environmental rant.  Most of the commentary I've seen on the comic has been redundant and unnecessary.  Yes it's ridiculous!  What else could it be?

I agree - anyone thinking that was serious has been trolled. It's pretty funny :D

Also, you know they're making a Joust movie?  I mean the arcade game, with the ostriches.

What? Are you serious about this?

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 01:58:12 PM »

Yeah, they really are making a Joust movie.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 02:19:31 PM »

I'm gonna have to see that one. I bet it'll perfectly exemplify my Space Invaders - The Movie theory.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 02:30:26 PM »

Laws for Kids comics are just as funny as their spoof bretheren (Lawls for kids, I believe?). Wink

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 02:54:21 PM »

This knowledge fills me with an indescribable joy. I suppose I should reserve my tickets now because there's probably only going to be one showing.
wonderpus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 04:34:08 PM »

I actually OWN that comic ... never read it just cherished it like a small child

GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 09:05:37 AM »

I'm gonna have to see that one. I bet it'll perfectly exemplify my Space Invaders - The Movie theory.

Well they are reinventing it.  It's set in Las Vegas 2025 or something like that.  If you ask me, this will not make it a better film.

Additionally they're planning to reboot the series or something; launching a new game around the same time.  This somewhat mitigates how awesome it is likely to be by my reckoning.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 10:46:53 AM »

Well they are reinventing it.  It's set in Las Vegas 2025 or something like that.  If you ask me, this will not make it a better film.

Additionally they're planning to reboot the series or something; launching a new game around the same time.  This somewhat mitigates how awesome it is likely to be by my reckoning.
the fuck? Future LA? WEAKSAUCE! I always imagined joust to be like in medieval times with knights on birds. In fact I recently had an idea for a game called "Joust Quest" where you'd be a knight on a bird exploring the Joustworld. I started pixeling for it and everything.
But the movie's probably gonna be some ass-lame tournament. And I always hate tournament movies.

The Doom Comic = Greatest comic ever(!!!)

GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 12:28:24 PM »

In fact I recently had an idea for a game called "Joust Quest" where you'd be a knight on a bird exploring the Joustworld. I started pixeling for it and everything.

Haha, I've done this before too.
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 01:43:39 PM »

In fact I recently had an idea for a game called "Joust Quest" where you'd be a knight on a bird exploring the Joustworld. I started pixeling for it and everything.

Haha, I've done this before too.

Well c'mon, someone has to make that game! It sounds awesome!
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2007, 02:01:58 PM »

I bet you $20 they are going to Bomberman: Act Zero the shit out of that movie. It'll be all about angsty square-jawed American Gladiators who ride on robot birds with sweet under-lighting.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic