Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:54:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessMarketing for one month my latest mobile game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Marketing for one month my latest mobile game  (Read 1194 times)
DjeeGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2015, 01:54:35 PM »

Hi, here is recent article I published on Dev Blog, a post mortem on my marketing effots for my latest mobile game.
----
So about a month ago I published my second game. Never thought I would go this far, but I guess this really makes me an indie developer, no doubt about it. My first game was released last year, just a trial to understand the development and publishing process from start to finish. I outsourced everything. No marketing or promotion of the game. Obviously it did not give tangible results, but I learned a lot, which was the point.

Now with my new game Planet Lander, I really want to go all the way with marketing strategies and tools for a lone indie dev like me. Just listing all my actions from the first month can work as a to-do list, since I’m quite positive these are all necessary things to accomplish for a successful launch. Is my game successful? Can’t say for now, but at least I did have some results. So read on:

There are tons of great info on indie game marketing out there, but if I had to pick something that stands out, it’s this 3 hour video

from http://vgamemarketing.com/ Watch all of it, and check out their site, it is extremely informative.

The specific marketing elements to address, pretty much all at once and as soon as possible:

ASO

First, the name. I wanted two descriptive words. I needed “lander” since it’s a particular genre and checking with the tools listed below it’s not overcrowded. With some trials I ended up with “Planet Lander”, simple and to the point.
Some say ASO is a waste of time; still it does not take too long to gather a list of words to help your store visibility. I used basic free tools from these ASO sites to help me determine what keywords to include in my store listings and how I rank in relation to direct “competitors”.

On-line branding

Built a landing page with a clear call to action for downloading the game on the available platforms.
Made a press kit page, for all the info and assets related. http://dopresskit.com/  for guidelines.
Twitter feed, Facebook page, Google+ page, Youtube channel with demos, LinkedIn page, Pinterest board. Anything and everything posted is spread across all.
Review websites

Emailed over 150 websites that are mobile game friendly, to ask for a review of Planet Lander, mention its release or list the game on the site. Some replied with offers for paid reviews. A couple of posts and tweets about the game, all giving a great instant boost in downloads. I’m sending a follow-up e-mail to all the sites that did not write back since a few weeks have passed and the results are very good if you get coverage.

Youtubers

Contacted over 75 YouTubers that *might* be interested in reviewing mobile games. It’s much harder to record decent videos from handhelds screens, so very few are interested in mobile games.
I got one video review (modest but friendly YouTuber), instant results; nothing else yet except a few followings on my Twitter account.

Press releases

Published a press release for the launch of the game. Using only 3 press sites suggested by vgamemarketing.com/, (two are free, one is only 30$ for two releases) it got me a lot of visibility and added credibility. With this I got a great interview from GameZone about the inspiration for Planet Lander, that was awesome!

Google+ Gaming Communities

Just a quick post on gaming communities, it gets buried fast but you get some exposure.

Game Dev community

That’s where I did not put enough effort. Just started posting on Reddit, already got great feedback. Same with the indie game forums such as this one, it's a great community. I used to write a blog about digital effects and running a VFX studio, I’ll get back to it with a game dev blog.

With all this work I now have around 2,000 Android downloads and 500 iOS downloads; most of them from peaks following the actions above. Daily numbers are low but steady and growing each day. I’m happy to see return users every day and the feedback is good – so all I really need to do is get the game noticed.

It is a lot of work, but I was prepared for it. I am still not certain of the short term results considering my lack of experience in this particular market. But every day I break new grounds, the numbers are growing slowly but surely and the feedback is good. Also I am a very stubborn entrepreneur so I will continue until I have tried everything I can.

I wonder what’s better when contacting journalists and game review sites: send a short, concise message (it worked with the press release to get a thorough interview on GameZone) or throw all the information at hand, links and graphics in the message and help get your word out (it worked for instant coverage and mentions on some game review sites)

What do you think?

--
Marc Bourbonnais
Djee Games
qwetro
Level 0

Werner Zhang

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 07:47:20 PM »

I released my mobile game CHetauGet on Google Play 20 days ago, and I did no effort to market it, and there's no surprise here, I got nearly no downloads.
Your post is great, I'm gonna try all these ways.
I checked your game on Play Store, it says its download is 1000-5000, really great compared to my own. You did a great job.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 05:34:52 AM »

Great post, sounds like it's an even tougher slog trying to market mobile games.

Aniki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 11:49:43 AM »

Wow this is a great post DjeeGames, with a ton of links, valuable information and feedback, thank you so much for sharing !

Marketing a mobile game seems pretty tough indeed Shocked
Wish you the best for your future projects !

Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 07:18:42 PM »

Thanks for sharing!
Insightful to say the least...
✖SantaPunchout✖
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 08:46:16 PM »

@OP, you should publish this post itself to game dev newsletters. This is a gold mine of information.

Santa's got a brand new bag.
Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 11:15:49 PM »

Yup, as said above, you can publish that on Gamasutra, and there's almost no doubt it will get featured! Thanks for sharing.

Programmer at The Game Bakers
3-50.net
Current project: oQo
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic