Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:31:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFrog Days
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Frog Days  (Read 56992 times)
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2016, 06:03:51 AM »

Haha yes I am 100 percent sure this isn't Frog Fractions 2! Think of it this way- wouldn't it be a little too easy if a hidden sequel had "Frog" or even "Fractions" in the title? Wink

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2016, 09:48:47 AM »

Haha yes I am 100 percent sure this isn't Frog Fractions 2! Think of it this way- wouldn't it be a little too easy if a hidden sequel had "Frog" or even "Fractions" in the title? Wink

It's all a trick! You're trying to mislead us by hiding in plain sight!

The inventory looks lovely, btw. Remember me of those old "encyclopedia" CD-ROMS, way before wikipedia. They always had funky UIs.

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2016, 11:40:49 AM »

Great to see more progress toward the final experience! This engine sounds neat, can we get a link to their twitter?

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2016, 11:40:39 PM »

Thanks you two! I'm glad you mentioned encyclopedia CD-ROMs, those are something I love a lot for the funky UI but also because the content in them was more unique. I really love Wikipedia, it's really great, but there were CD-ROM encyclopedias that had 3d exploration, voiced articles, cool FMVs, fun easter eggs...

Jctwood, no twitter that I know of, however I will most likely post something here once something playable is done! Thanks for the interest :D

I have been getting around to a lot of content I've had in my head for awhile, most of it I don't want to show yet but today I modelled, rigged and textured a cockroach:

Also animated, rendered, and prepped for in game:

*Ironically, the roach behavior code is 100% bug free.*

Here's a little closer up. This bug won't just be viewed in the game from far away, but also closer up!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:44:59 PM by swordofkings128 » Logged

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2016, 05:04:20 PM »

I've been working on a lot of 3d stuff, mostly scene fodder. A little taste:

*Spaghetti!?*

*Poster-fodder*

*and a brand new car!*

What I'm really focusing on at the moment is modeling cars(again) as I will need at least 5 cars for various places. I've decided to throw 100% accuracy on car models out the window because it's... well, honestly it's not really worth it in my case and it was driving me mad when modeling cars before! Same with just about anything... things become much simpler when you take a couple liberties here and there.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 05:31:55 PM by swordofkings128 » Logged

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2016, 07:15:15 AM »

Still working on a lot of 3d modeling, one of the big things is a complex animation which I don't want to spoil because it'll be a surprise hehe! I had modeled and rigged a monkey awhile ago but never got around to texturing it, so I textured and animated something I've had in mind for awhile. Here's a little screen shot of it:

And some more 3d stuff:

*After a few bananas, he is ready for his close up*

*Workstation design based on SGI computers.*

*More transportation!*

You may notice the car in the previous post doesn't have door handles or rear view mirrors! That'll be fixed... I'm getting around to it eventually hehe!

And a little music too. I don't recall mentioning this, maybe I did but I purchased a sweet Korg M1 vst that has a massive amount of instruments to it... It's truly a great deal for it's price. But I mainly bought it for the holy, legendary Seinfeld slap bass Wink
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byxpy03yBoVSRWp3ZlFOZ2lNWkU/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byxpy03yBoVSaVpJTkgzS3lSMk0/view?usp=sharing

Here's is a link to the Korg M1 to those interested. Many classic instruments from the SNES soundchip come from this baby:
http://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_legacy_collection/page_4.php
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 05:35:20 PM by swordofkings128 » Logged

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »

holy craaap, I'll be ordering this OST as soon as it goes up. i just downloaded all of the music in this thread.

also, do you take commissions? I'm considering pre-rendered stuff now for my game in a limited scope.

Dropsy!

Hypnospace Outlaw - You're a cop/moderator of the future-internet, which looks suspiciously like Geocities. Also you have a sweet car.
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2016, 02:19:46 PM »

Thanks hehe! I glad you like it :D As far as commissions go I've never really thought about that! It all really depends on the complexity of what it is. I already have a lot on my plate, but pm me and I'm sure we can work something out!

ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2016, 04:52:32 PM »

I probably should've commented to follow earlier because I check in on this thread whenever I see it pop up! I really love the aesthetic you have going on; every one of these renders is great. This world looks like it'll be a lot of fun to explore.

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2016, 12:47:20 AM »

I appreciate it ActualDog! I know a lot of people dislike prerendered graphics, or the old CG look, but it's nice to know some people enjoy it XD I recall years ago, around 2009, the general opinion was "pre-rendered graphics are ugly relics of an ancient time" but that was a much different time.

Sometimes, you open yourself up to a can of worms! I had a joke with clicking on a button that says "Run" making a pair of shoes run by the screen. But that monkey from earlier leaves behind a banana peel! What if the player clicks that button and it runs by the peel? They would expect them to slip. So whipped this up quickly.

It doesn't do anything, as the shoes solve another puzzle, but it's to show that desktop stuff can interact with each other in weird ways, so maybe try something you think might not work! Obviously it would take years(decades!) to make a little animation for every single possible combination of things you can do with other things, but I will make special stuff for ones that seem obvious but aren't the correct solution.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 05:36:08 PM by swordofkings128 » Logged

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2016, 12:59:43 AM »

pre-rendered graphics aren't ugly, but bad ones are. they're for sure dated, but only as much as any other technique or style inevitably is; they place this game into a specific world, and i love that.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2016, 04:11:04 AM »

OMG These 3D models look so bad.

I love them! You perfectly captured the essence of 1995 3D graphics. Smiley

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2016, 07:45:21 AM »

Thanks rj, good point! Most people probably don't really care if it's real-time 3d, pixel art, pre-rendered, stop motion, hand painted or whatever as long as it looks okay.

Tuba, indeed! It's difficult kind of walking this line of old 3d graphics, as sometimes it looks too good for the time, or it looks like bad stuff from that time... the goal is to have it look good but working within the style, if that makes sense!

I am still working on cars... but finished-car-count is getting where I want it to be steadily! :D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 05:36:41 PM by swordofkings128 » Logged

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2016, 10:56:52 AM »

Worked on space stuff lately, mostly for some jokes in the game:

*me going to work after modeling stuff 20 hours straight*

And the last car I'll model for awhile, feeling a little burnt out on them! (no pun intended Wink)

And while modeling something else,

*My face when realizing how much more 3d content needs to be made*

On the programming side, I finally got proper boot up fake loading done. I had done it some months but lost the progress after a power outage corrupted the version I was working on. So now starting up, it's wallpaper, then the icons start popping in, then the quickies tray, then other stuff.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 04:40:26 AM by swordofkings128 » Logged

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2016, 11:07:17 AM »

aeiou

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2016, 12:40:30 PM »

aeiou
aeiou

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2016, 10:29:14 PM »

bcdfghjklmnpqrstvw(and sometimes)yz! Smiley

I have been working on mostly fixing up a lot of FlamingOS related and gameplay related things. Now, the right click menu has a different pop up animation than before. Before it pops up from the top left to bottom right. Now, it pops up from the bottom left to the top right:

*in slomo!*

Also a more "realistic" boot up so menus and other elements appear quickly and sporadically(or not, it works on randomness so sometimes it might a a second or two wait for the next element to "load")

Also also, finally the cut and paste system is working as intended:

*Maybe you should try combining the clock with the glass of water in the final game? Hehe!*

One thing I was really kicking myself in the butt for was this asinine way I was(and still am, for the sake of time) calculating two things moving in opposite directions across a straight line. It's messed up, so I wrote new, much simpler stuff for the clipboard item/target item moving across the menus. It's a bit spaghetti but redoing it all would be a headache I'd really not like right now, and it works fine.

Because my current headache this:

If you're considering doing a very basic text editor in Adventure Game Studio... don't. It's a pain in the ass... but at least the text insert cursor can be positioned correctly(that was a big problem in my attempts a long time ago using different methods for this sort of thing), and it can be an image! Right now back spacing is a little off, it's doesn't work across lines yet. That's coming next... But the good news is it looks like I can have the world entry point into my text-themed world be very related to the world!

And a more better looking image:

I've been fiddling around with the apartment the game takes place in a little, adding in some scene fodder to make less barren. It should be a lot more cluttered and interesting in the end(and the wall on the right will look less ugly!) the apartment is a very important place in the game... you don't spend much time exploring here, and there isn't much to it, but it's important! so a lot of stuff will be in here in the end.

Also it's been a little while since I posted some music. Here's a recent music:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byxpy03yBoVSMzN6b1VGWmlYaWM/view?usp=sharing

And I've been contemplating a vaporwave special edition soundtrack, but that's for another time. I'd like to do it justice, like the album wouldn't just be a vaporwave edition, it would be a part of the story itself. Anyway here's some songs slowed down and reverbed together:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byxpy03yBoVSaXVmTC1pSjAxWEU/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 04:44:23 AM by swordofkings128 » Logged

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2016, 08:10:24 AM »

*The final interface for the typing will have a lot more character*

The previously mentioned text editor thing is now working pretty well. It still needs a couple features such as hitting enter for a new line, but that's about as far as I'll go with it. This is just for the email program and well, honestly what you type in when sending an email doesn't matter a whole lot... it's just to give the illusion of a working application.

I've also been steadily progressing through this:

My list of file worlds + how to access them. The highlights is where the name is, and the color is how functional it is. Green is 100% implementation(but possibly with placeholder graphics), yellow is unfinished, and red is not even started. So far, 15/30 are green, but there are some I'm still trying to come up with better puzzles to gain access to the world... a good thing is I have some finished puzzles, but not much of a connection with a file world... but there is something to them. Given enough pacing around and brain storming things will fall into place.

Once all the world access points are in the game and functioning, then my focus can be squarely on the remainder of 3d modeling needed, adding in final graphics, rendering, and adding in the graphics and setting up everything.

*What's going on? Only I know hehe!*

And a very special message:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:13:50 PM by swordofkings128 » Logged

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2016, 05:03:10 AM »

I love the completely unhelpful help from the flamingo.

Do you plan on revealing outside details about the world this game is set in, or is it more of a bizarre OS that exists in our reality?

Dropsy!

Hypnospace Outlaw - You're a cop/moderator of the future-internet, which looks suspiciously like Geocities. Also you have a sweet car.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2016, 12:14:27 PM »

First time I saw this thread: "am I really looking at this? This is too good to be true."

Best video games in development in 2016: this, CRTTR, and Hypnospace Outlaw. Good things happening.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic