Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:44:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFrog Days
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Frog Days  (Read 54893 times)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2016, 08:36:59 PM »

Good meat, keep it up
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2016, 10:41:42 AM »

Thank you! :D

Haven't logged in here in a while (my computer broke) but I'm glad to see you're still working on this!

Can there be a secret mode where everything is meat?

The dreaded moment when a computer breaks! I don't think of a computer as just a tool but rather an extension of ourselves, like an extra limb. Well except when it breaks(depending on how it breaks) it doesn't hurt physically! :p

A secret meat mode would be neat, and certainly something I'd like to do for a real-time 3d game, everything is pre-rendered and adventure game studio places a limit on how many backgrounds there can be per room(max is 5). But there will be a ludicrous amount of secret things! Some big secrets, some microscopic secrets... but lots of them.

Been working on houses. I've modeled 14 large suburban houses, here's a taste:

AC units to go next to them:

I figure having 3 different types is enough. Maybe I'll make more if too many of them are visible in the suburban area. While making outdoor ac units, I thought "Should I even bother? Who will notice if there aren't any present? Who will even notice if all houses have the same ac units?" but to me the important part is I know someone out there would see a lack of ac units, and think "*chuckle* what a lazy chump! Couldn't even be bothered to install air conditioning to these houses." and now, instead of this reaction it might be "wow, the developer thought of everything! Wait, why are there no power lines!?" Wink

HIDEJI
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2016, 01:58:40 AM »

I love this thread. So nostalgic. So vaporwave.

If you like what you see, please help spread the word on twitter! Thank you! Beer!
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 30, 2016, 08:15:42 AM »

Thanks HIDEJI! I've loved vaporwave ever since someone awhile back in this topic mentioned it and it's what I'm usually listening to when working on the game. I don't think Frog Days can be called a vaporwave game though as I'll be selling the game when it's done, which isn't very vaporwave-y to me! And there isn't much to do with vaporwave subject matter, it's more about satirical conspiracies but more on that... eventually.

And a late merry Christmas and an early happy new year! I've been busily modeling many computer cases.

I've made a couple more since this picture but all the cases in their view port glory:

Anyone looking at this who makes music, Korg is offering their VST plugins for 50% until Jan 5th, 2017. Hurry and snap up some great VST plugins for half price! I purchased the Korg Wavestation VST for a mere $24.99. The Korg Wavestation as well as the Korg M1 were two popular keyboard synthesizers back in the 90s. The SNES soundchip sampled some of the Korg M1 sounds such as the famous Korg slapbass, which was was also used in the theme song of a little known sitcom called Seinfeld.
http://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_legacy_collection/

A quick test tune with the wavestation and a yamaha DX7 harmonica preset loaded in FL Studio's Sytrus VST:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byxpy03yBoVSbnBINlhHM3FOUFE/view?usp=sharing

I own both the M1 and Wavestation VSTs and they are great! Perfect for newagey music.

Also to those looking for Frog Fractions 2, it seems to have been found! Further proof my game isn't Frog Fractions 2.

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2017, 07:23:24 AM »

Made it so my dissolve transition now works with 8 pixel chunks and 4 pixel chunks:

It will only happen on smaller areas though. This dissolve transition it already kind of pushing AGS pretty far and the 4 pixel one is a little too fine to work for full screen dissolves. Next game it might be a good idea to change engines, there's some more advanced effects I'd like to do in another first person adventure that would be a breeze for a more mainstream engine.

I've been doing some more modeling of objects but last week I decided to make some more cars:

And maybe I won't be using this sky texture in Frog Days, but I made a couple more skies. Made by combining and manipulating several images from http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/

I haven't been making as much stuff as I'd like to be but I've been catching up on some sleep. The progress made on these areas the last couple of months, the one with the houses and the one with the computers, has been very, very good!

kuubaas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2017, 01:23:49 AM »

The material works pretty well on other objects too:

I am so in love with this game.

technical artist for no truce with the furies
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2017, 09:23:52 AM »

Thank you! You know the piano was going to be a regular looking one where it's going to be located, but looking at it again I think I'll be sticking with the meat piano, it's more stylish.

And while I'm here, I had the idea for a couple radio drops in the game when interacting with a radio in one of the worlds and finally got around to it last week:
KFROG radio

there will be multiple of them, but it won't really be too involved. Basically click on the radio and get a joke drop.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2017, 09:53:37 AM »

And while I'm here, I had the idea for a couple radio drops in the game when interacting with a radio in one of the worlds and finally got around to it last week:
KFROG radio
this is so good!!

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2017, 10:08:09 AM »

Wonderful
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2017, 10:25:09 AM »

Thanks! I was surprised how decent it came out to be, especially considering how horrible I am at voice acting. Not broadcast quality but good enough for inside a game.

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 01, 2017, 05:05:45 PM »

I've uploaded all the images from this topic to . Previously I was using dropbox for images but they'll be changing how they do public file sharing and are also dropping bbcode which means that when the changes they're making takes effect, the links would be broken! But now they're finally all fixed so that won't be an issue.

Anyone who would like to see the images from this topic in album form, this album on imgur contains them.

I've been doing a lot of work on getting some special stuff working properly, but I had a break through discovery today...

The illusive per-pixel transition I've been struggling to make is now working! Now the problem isn't programming a per-pixel dissolve transition, but rather it's actually getting it to be usable. With my previous attempt, which was draw various pixels in spots around the screen and mark them "drawn" in an array, there came a point where it was just too much for Adventure Game Studio to handle.

When it's in the help files, you better believe it...

So that bummed me out and I gave up. There's no way around it. However...

Thanks to a wonderful font editing too for adventure game studio fonts by Pieter Simoons aka Radiant, I was able to devise a work around. Thank you http://crystalshard.net/!

I've been working on a part of the game that's an MS-DOS kind of interface that requires a lot of draw text commands. The game engine has no problem with drawing tons of lines of text very quickly. So it I thought what if I used a font where all the numbers are various images of random dots to draw the erasing color? And just after changing drawpixel to drawstring, its an instant improvement. After some tweaking, it's usable! Even for full screen pixel dissolve transitions!

*Pizza lobster, now in pixel dissolving format!*

I'm very pleased to have this working... it won't replace the blocky transitions from before, but it will be used in various places where a finer dissolve will look nicer than big blocks.

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 01, 2017, 11:29:52 PM »

So I thought what if I used a font where all the numbers are various images of random dots to draw the erasing color? And just after changing drawpixel to drawstring, its an instant improvement. After some tweaking, it's usable! Even for full screen pixel dissolve transitions!

Holy frick that's brilliant

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2017, 07:11:50 AM »

Thank you! I find it so interesting that there is basically no problem drawing a bunch of "numbers" on the screen, but doing the same thing as pixels is blasphemy to AGS.

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2017, 01:08:06 PM »

It's hard to for to believe that the last update was 5 days ago as the past 5 days have been fantastic! I've been working on stuff for variations on the ending. There is still quite a bit left to do, but as I might have mentioned earlier the near end/end game/post end game stuff has been my primary focus.

A lot of the times, to me at least, it feels like the ending in games has the least amount of TLC. Now I can't say for sure that Frog Days will have an exemplary-status ending(I think it'll be great but I'm quite biased Wink) but the final moments in the game will have some of my best programming work yet, a long with some of the coolest stuff in the game if you ask me! A couple big things:
-Finished the "title screen" interface(it's quite special!)
-Implemented several special details about the ending sequence.
-Dynamic file icons with the text drawn on them instead of being already on there(only for a certain part of the game)
-Dynamic plain-Jane Windows 95 like program windows(only for a certain part of the game)
-Not programming, but finished animating this:

*it's nothing naughty, just secret!

My first animation in 3d with voice in it! It's about one minute of someone talking to you. With Blender it's quite easy to animate a simple mouth very quickly, much easier than I though it would be. You know maybe I'm just so old fashioned but I think having 3d FMVs in the game is the coolest thing ever! Anyone here ever play Nigsek: A Monster Tale? Ever since I played that so so long ago I wanted to have FMVs in my games... now, like 15 years later, it's happening! I'm very happy :D

Also this:

Old style Window dragging!

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2017, 01:51:04 PM »

simply spectacular
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2017, 10:59:07 AM »

Thanks Spectacular Joe!

The old style Win95 thing from the last is 99% done, it still needs more actual content, but the menus and interface are done! That's a pretty big chunk and a nice thing to scratch off the old "need to do" list.

After that I've been working on replacing a lot of old graphics in some of the regular desktop windows and trying to polish things up here and there.

A lot if it has been fixing some bugs, redoing some code, making button graphics. However for some of it I've had to model some food... so I hope you're hungry! Wink

And the most delectable of my offerings thus far:

*The infamous Blue Chicken Breast*

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2017, 06:52:52 PM »

This is beautiful and I really want to play it
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2017, 07:04:06 PM »

Chicken Cordon Blue?

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: February 16, 2017, 07:46:03 PM »

Lookin' good as always. Something about the texture and color of that broccoli is creeping me out though.

EDIT- I just sent you a PM.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:08:45 PM by Quicksand-T » Logged

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2017, 06:50:25 AM »

Thank you everyone! DireLogomachist, yes chicken cordon blue! Haha very nice, don't know how I didn't make the connection...

Quicksand-T I'm about to check my PM's! Maybe its a case of the uncanny valley but for vegetables. I've come to see that the uncanny valley could apply to all objects, maybe not so much in a creepy way, but in a way where an image of an everyday object has all the qualities of realism and the models are very realistic, but has some tell tale signs of being computer generated, maybe a stretched texture here, some crude bump mapping there... There's a certain "beauty"(well, IMO of course!) when an image has realistic qualities but is ultimately fake looking.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic