Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 07:34:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFrog Days
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15
Print
Author Topic: Frog Days  (Read 56860 times)
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: October 14, 2017, 08:01:47 AM »

Sorry if I sounded kinda flatterer.

But I was truly shocked by the 3 hours sleep, no games and stuff.
Mostly because I do the opposite: I sleep 9 hours EVERY day, play Overwatch more than I should, work on college side projects, etc.

My devlog:     My twitter:
Private Party      twitter
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 14, 2017, 10:46:04 PM »

Don't be sorry, I was joking! XD

Well truthfully I go through phases where I can get very little sleep, 3 hours, for about 3-4 weeks straight but at some point my body is like "no no, you're sleeping for awhile now." and miss like 10 alarms and sleep like a normal human being for a couple weeks. And I don't do that as much as I was, it was starting to catch up to me. I do not recommend not getting enough sleep for extended periods of time!

But enjoying entertainment takes so much time, I wish I would have been like I am now a lot sooner and focused solely on making games! Music or talky-videos of people commenting on games can be enjoyed passively so that's the media I consume, while I work on my game! It's just more fun working on a game than playing one. I do from time to time play stuff that a buddy is working on or something that really tickles my fancy but that's like once-a-year rare.

However do what's best for you, it took me awhile to really figure out what works for me...

That's enough about that, I'm not writing an autobiography hehe! XD we can continue through PM's if you want but I'd rather not talk about myself so much(despite having typed all of that self-indulgent stuff)

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 19, 2017, 07:40:19 AM »

Here's an official gameplay video showing multiple worlds in (mostly) complete states. While obviously some things are subject to change, I think this is a good representation of the adventure aspect of Frog Days.

ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: October 19, 2017, 04:43:49 PM »

This is looking killer. I really admire how all in you're going with the aesthetic. I think my favorite detail is the "Okay, got it." response to the flamingo's joke. Laughed out loud at that one.

UberLuber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 19, 2017, 05:55:56 PM »

Seriously fantastic work nailing the aesthetic. Im getting some crazy PS1-era vibes from environments, and I love the total commitment to the humor. Very, very excited for this project. Keep at it!
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 19, 2017, 08:05:12 PM »

Thank you! ActualDog, "Okay, got it." I'm glad you appreciate the humor in that. That's the default response to everything to make the speech bubble go away but it's perfect as a response to being told a "stupid" joke. (I love jokes like that Who, Me?)

UberLuber, thanks too, I have taken a lot of inspiration for the look from PS1-era pre-rendered 3d(especially Final Fantasy 7/8!) and of course many DOS first person adventures(like Drowned God, Lighthouse: The Dark Being, Chaos: A Fantasy Adventure)

I'd recommend checking out the world of first person CD-ROM multi-media adventure games... it's very interesting.

ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: October 20, 2017, 09:20:10 AM »

Thank you! ActualDog, "Okay, got it." I'm glad you appreciate the humor in that. That's the default response to everything to make the speech bubble go away but it's perfect as a response to being told a "stupid" joke. (I love jokes like that Who, Me?)

haha, yeah I figured it was probably the result of some sort of generic response system but that's part of why I love it. Anyways, the rest of the game looks great too. The ketchup and mustard snakes are another particular fav and I'm extremely into the "yes/no" rabbit ear dialogue.

SchriefFighter
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 20, 2017, 09:28:39 AM »

Very nice gameplay video! I love the old-school feel and look to it. Long live point-and-click adventures!!!!! lol
a-k-
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 20, 2017, 09:08:41 PM »

Brilliant! I'd always believed myself to be a power user till I encountered your OS, no command prompt for the uninitiated?

flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 21, 2017, 12:07:10 AM »

this gameplay vidio got me trippin on the lenny kravitz, man  Waaagh! super trippy and cohesive visually. love

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 21, 2017, 05:22:32 AM »

Thanks everyone!

a-k-, that's actually been something I've thought about off and on and how to implement it and what to do with it. I have some ideas for a command prompt but it's in the maybe zone for now.

SC
Level 0

bideo bames

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 22, 2017, 05:31:47 PM »

Excellent, excellent, EXCELLENT work! I'm getting more excited for this game by the second! (By the way, do you still have that earlier gameplay trailer that you did before this one? I still love the startup sound from it.)
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 22, 2017, 08:48:27 PM »

Thank you! Yes the old video is still up:

But if you want to hear the hi fidelity version, here you go! All sound in the actual game is compressed and fuzzy sounding(which means it can take up less space!) but on the OST everything will be the clean, high fidelity versions of the music and startup sounds(and some extras!)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byxpy03yBoVSeUZidFUwd3RpWTA/view?usp=sharing

jb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: January 14, 2018, 12:59:55 AM »

How is the project going? I have been lurking your devlog for a while. You output is quite prolific in terms of content, really love the interface you have designed too. I haven’t watched the game play demos the whole way through - partly because I am afraid of ruining some of the surprise! The whole aesthetic is really cool. I have always wondered if one day old school 3D will become the next 8-bit in terms of popularity and nostalgia.

pixelbarons.com
DOGO - competitive local multiplayer platformer
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 25, 2018, 05:32:46 PM »

Thank you, jb! I have been working hard and progress has been going very, very well. I just finished a world I'm really excited about, it took longer than I would have liked but it'll be well worth it. It's something special that I'm not going to spoil too much of! I've posted some stuff relating to it awhile ago in this thread but it was merely a bread crumb so to speak.

Here's something else related to it though:

I'd say go ahead and watch the gameplay if you want, I haven't really shown a whole lot of the juicy stuff(anything close to that is seen in the most recent video with the ketchup/mustard snake riddle but it's really not a big spoiler) but if you choose to remain unspoiled that's fine too. I think that regardless there will be a lot of surprises for you!

I don't visit here as often as I should(missing a lot of cool devlog updates!) but soon(ish) I'll probably post a big(ish) update. I'm more active on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/swordofkings128

On old school 3d becoming the next 8-bit, it's possible but I don't really see it happening to the extent the 8-bit/16-bit aesthetic took off. There's a few reasons that I won't go into but if you ask me, pixel art styles will remain the face of indie games for awhile longer.

By the way, your game looks really cool! As you might have guessed, I really dig the pre-rendered 3d graphics. :p

interrit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: February 07, 2018, 05:00:20 AM »

Have been silently following for a while and this game is shaping up to be everything I hoped, the videos are looking extremely good.

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 07, 2018, 01:38:12 PM »

Thank you! Glad you like it :D

I might as well post a few things I put on twitter recently while I'm here! I'm working on a museum world at the moment, it's another juicy place I don't want to show a whole lot of...

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 25, 2018, 02:29:37 PM »

Since the last post, I've gotten so much done. Good news is I'm 99% sure I'm on track for a June release. This month it's just been finishing up places, getting things rendered and final world graphics into the game. At the moment, I have 1 final place I need to make a few misc things for and then I'm calling world modeling "done"

Here's some screenshots:

The bad news is that I've decided to cut a fair amount of content. Originally, I planned on having 32 worlds to explore. However, to be quite honest I'm getting sick of working on this game! So the final game will only have 20(possibly 21) worlds. Plus I don't think all the locations I have planned would actually be able to fit inside the game, something I didn't quite take into account when estimating how many rooms each world would be. Adventure Game Studio allows for a total of 999 rooms and I'm using well over 700 of them.

(if you want to be technical there's 5 worlds I don't count mainly because they're mandatory that the player sees them. So add that to the count if you want.)

Part of me feels like it won't be good enough without everything I have planned. But another part of me takes a step back, looks at all the stuff that's in the game and says "This is a lot of content..." and I'm starting to listen to that part of me more.

So as I said earlier, I'm getting sick of working on this game, I'll explain a bit more on that... It's been almost 4 years now, working on the same thing for so long, so many hours at a time. Don't get me wrong, it's been fun most of the time but Jesus do I want to work on something else for a change. I'll talk about this more after Frog Days is done as now is not the right time for discussing this but I want to take my work in a different direction. I want to work towards a more modern work flow and more modern visuals. There's more to it but that's all I'll say for now.

Next update I'll make about how all the OS stuff has been finished, polished and has it's final graphics(it's pretty close to that right now but there's still a little chunk of work to do on it)

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 15, 2018, 11:16:03 AM »

Can't wait! Where are you planning on releasing it? Is there a mailing list I can sign up to so I can be alerted?
stix
Level 0

Night of the Blood Moon Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: June 15, 2018, 11:37:37 AM »

You've captured this esthetic so well. Awesome.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic