Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:52:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFrog Days
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Frog Days  (Read 54876 times)
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2016, 07:01:19 PM »

Still working on desktop related things, there's a lot of stuff on the desktop! It's been a lot of fun to work on, but I don't want to show all the stuff as it could spoil puzzle solutions. So instead I'll give a run down on how a lot of the non-3d sprites are made for Frog Days. For the record, I'm using Photoshop CS6 for 2d stuff.

I needed to make an explosion for a desktop puzzle. I thought of giving it a shot in Blender by learning how to use the smoke sim, but I thought maybe trying my hand at 2d animation again. It's been some time since I've done any serious pixel animation, but I take some short cuts everyone might want to behead me for to over come my rustiness.

First, the basic shape I pixel out. I usually don't do grey scale, but I wasn't sure what colors I wanted at this point so I figured that will come later.

Next, this is where every pixel-person will want to kill me! I scale them down by 1 pixel using the bilinear filter, then scale them up again with the bilinear filter.

Next, using groups and layer masks, I use a layer above the explosion to color them with the blending mode set to hard light.

Finally, this is where I will be murdered by pixel artists around the world again! The above image is used to create a color table for all the frames of the animation. When you do this, you'll want to use multiple frames of the animation so when the table is created, it has more even color distribution.

*the magenta and cyan colors were used as borders on the sprite sheet*

This is what the explosion looks like with the above color index:

And finally, here's an animation:

It's not the best explosion, but it'll do just fine for what is required in game. I like this method because it gives me freedom to color how I want, quickly and easily, without having to worry about technique too much. The first pixel iteration is basically a scribble I did very quickly, not getting too bogged down in dithering, banding, all those other tedious pixel art principles. This process is a real time saver for me, and fits in with the game's style.

The same thing applies to stuff where I don't have the patience to pixel it out absolutely perfectly. Such as this burger and spilled soda cup cursors:

I just pixel up something, scale it down, then up, sometimes draw over them in photoshop, and index the colors. Clean them up if necessary, most of the time it is, but this step saves me a lot of time.

I'm going to probably update a lot less frequently since, as I mentioned, a lot of the stuff I'm doing now relates to ways World Access Points(WAPs) are discovered, and since that's such a big part of the game, I can't really show off all the animations and interactions that can be done with them!

However, here's a little fan art of good old bonzi buddy I drew in the FlamingOS paint "program" awhile ago.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:12:09 PM by swordofkings128 » Logged

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2016, 09:17:04 AM »

I had to repair Windows the other day due strange slow down and lock ups my new monitor was giving, which meant having the "joy" to install everything again and restoring my back ups(luckly I didn't lose anything, not anything important anyway!) So I was going through the old images in some folders. This isn't much of an update as it is a bit of comparison to how much Frog Days has changed over it's development. I can't believe it's been this long! Decemeber 14th seems to be the day that the desktop-exploration concept(and the default wallpaper) for what would be Frog Days was born, as they're the earliest dated files I seem to still have.

*Last modified: December 14, 2014

*Last modified: August 17, 2015*

*Last modified: June 1, 2016*

For the most part what you see is final, except for a couple icons and that "Test World" short cut. I'm hoping this is the year Frog Days is finished, and it looks like it could happen... sometime before the New Year, as long as strange setbacks like the one I had stay at a minimum.

I wish I would have changed the OS from being a Windows clone to it's own thing entirely earlier on, who knows where I'd be now! But I'm very happy with how things are shaping up, especially with all the neat stuff I've been working on. Today I was able to record some voice stuff for various bits in the game, only a couple, but they turned out nicely. Here's one for a volume control joke:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byxpy03yBoVSTE93aURjUlFfTUE/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:14:37 PM by swordofkings128 » Logged

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2016, 11:08:32 AM »

Love your frequent updates. Seriously, keep it up! Staying in touch with your fans on absolutely every detail is fantastic.

I can't wait to send this to my future brothers in law. They're a fan of playing with vintage systems just for the games. This will give them reason to upgrade to a new device xD

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2016, 06:53:07 AM »

This looks fantastic! I'm glad you're veering away from a 1:1 windows clone. Part of the magic of these pseudo-OS games is recapturing the feeling of delving into alien software for the first time.

Next, this is where every pixel-person will want to kill me! I scale them down by 1 pixel using the bilinear filter, then scale them up again with the bilinear filter.

I'm a pretty staunch Pixel Art guy but I feel like it fits perfectly within the context of your game.

Dropsy!

Hypnospace Outlaw - You're a cop/moderator of the future-internet, which looks suspiciously like Geocities. Also you have a sweet car.
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2016, 08:33:38 AM »

Thanks you two! amanfr01, I hope soon your brothers in law will be able to play this one day, I wish that there was a more practical way of making games the same way they were made in the multimedia hayday so it could be playable on say win95 or something... that would be neat XD

Jay Tholen, preach it! I will say there needs to be a balance between familiar and unfamiliar, that's the challenge. Alien enough to be fun to discover and explore, but familiar enough so that it's not frustrating or too confusing. In the beginning, I wanted it to feel just like using a real winX OS with word processor, a fake emailer, fake websites, but a lot of these things aren't feasible in adventure game studio. But it wasn't until maybe 8 months ago(I think?) that the idea of taking things in an alternate direction came into mind... it's a lesson learned, as more careful consideration could of lead to a much quicker turn out(and months saved by not making fancy stuff that won't be used or work well)

*and thanks for not nailing me to the cross on that scale up/down! I admire anyone with the patience to perfectly pixel every piece of art in their game... I love the art in Dropsy so much for that*

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2016, 12:42:33 AM »

release the paint program as a standalone plz

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2016, 09:06:35 AM »

I'm reluctant to do that for two reasons: 1- removing everything but the paint program would be a pain the butt, removing all the graphics, scripts, rooms, would take sometime since taking away since I don't really have a classification of "this is okay to let people play before it's done/this isn't" if that makes sense...

If there were demand for it later on, maybe, but 2- I'd like everyone to go into the game never experiencing messing with anything you know? I realize its not like flocks of people will be downloading it but I'd really just rather release it all when it done, all or nothing.

However, if you would like I could send you a recent build!

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2016, 04:43:02 AM »

Following because I firmly believe this could be Frog Fractions 2.

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2016, 09:52:06 AM »

Sorry to disappoint you but unfortunately, this has nothing to with Frog Fractions 2! And that is not a reverse psychology kind of answer. I swear I have nothing to do with Frog Fractions!

The quest for the real Frog Fractions 2 continues... our frog is in another castle.

PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2016, 11:41:54 AM »

What the heck are you doing? In a good way! This looks insane and fun and nostalgic. Following!

Twitter: @pbergmar
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2016, 08:04:31 AM »

I barely know what I'm doing hehe XD thank you though!

I figure I'll show this since it's not really a secret, but I finally made the final inventory window.

Or pretty close to final! There's a couple details I'd like to add like doodles in the book, or fixing the numbers on the calculator, but this is 99% final inventory window.

Also I made a song for a club area, but then figured I'd do a mix for you vaporwavers out there:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byxpy03yBoVSX0tRNEt6UE81cU0/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:15:52 PM by swordofkings128 » Logged

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2016, 08:30:15 AM »

Omg I'm dying over the brownie image. I love it! Your updates are always a joy :D

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2016, 09:26:02 AM »

This is my fave DevLog right now. Those 256 color dithered renders are so sleek. Also, our games must be in a bundle together when they're out.

Dropsy!

Hypnospace Outlaw - You're a cop/moderator of the future-internet, which looks suspiciously like Geocities. Also you have a sweet car.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2016, 08:42:21 AM »

sending more encouragement, this is easily my favorite devlog here. can't wait to play the finished product!

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2016, 07:33:27 PM »

Thank you very much everyone!! I'm glad you like the brownie amanfr01, it was a fun icon to make! But really making icons is one of my favorite things to make hehe!

Jay Tholen, glad you like the 256 color look! To be honest there are most likely many more colors than 256 on screen but don't tell anyone! As for bundling, perhaps once it's on steam or something! But half of the battle is getting greenlit, I will be holding off on that until everything is nearly done.

And Tanner the encouragement is appreciated :D really thanks everyone, man I'm looking forward to people playing this... Once again, I don't want to spoil what I have been working on as they are related to world access points. But here's a couple of things:

*paperboy, 2x*

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:16:54 PM by swordofkings128 » Logged

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2016, 01:08:11 AM »

I'm reluctant to do that for two reasons: 1- removing everything but the paint program would be a pain the butt, removing all the graphics, scripts, rooms, would take sometime since taking away since I don't really have a classification of "this is okay to let people play before it's done/this isn't" if that makes sense...

If there were demand for it later on, maybe, but 2- I'd like everyone to go into the game never experiencing messing with anything you know? I realize its not like flocks of people will be downloading it but I'd really just rather release it all when it done, all or nothing.

However, if you would like I could send you a recent build!

Aw hell I would love to get a sneak peek!

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2016, 06:45:27 AM »

Sure thing! I will send you a link Smiley

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2016, 11:33:47 AM »

omg That inventory window is killing me (in a good sense), hahahahahahah
Too good

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2016, 06:55:36 PM »

Maruki thank you very much!! I wanted it to really have a "smart" feel to it, even though I don't think someone would be very smart with a book, protractor and calculator so close to their brain XD not to mention a puzzle cube scraping that blue matter.

And a proper update, I have been working on a part of the story telling in Frog Days that I've been trying to get working on and off for awhile now, which is diskmags!

*ignore all that text, it's got many typos and it's not cut properly*

There will be 5 diskmags in the game, 4 of which will be difficult to get... the first one will be fairly easy though. Most of the "concrete lore" will be told through the diskmags, and I personally am not a fan of uninteresting codex encyclopedias, but I can assure you it will be done in a fun and engaging way(with the occasional picture!).

I say concrete as places, events, and important things are written down. But, that doesn't mean that all the story is in the diskmags. Quite the opposite- the majority of story telling is done through the file worlds you explore.

Diskmags won't be essential to finishing the game, mind you, no important puzzle information or clues are hidden in them.

I am almost done pulling my hair out of getting this diskmag system to work, but I have taken a break to work on more fun things. Like this:

*Are aliens invading my computer!??*

And this:

*Someone's got a leak, huh!*

Also it's been awhile since I shared music, here's a puzzle theme I finished up today:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byxpy03yBoVSbzNVcTdka3JTRDQ/view?usp=sharing

And this isn't for Frog Days, but my best online friend(who has also been a big help with suggestions and ideas and listening to me blather on about progress on Frog Days) is making a game engine, and asked me to make graphics for the first demo. So here's one of the screens:

The game after Frog Days will most likely use this kind of technique where I make a basic 3d scene, then draw over it and edit it in photoshop, and while working on small tech demos for this engine I'll be experimenting with this technique.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:06:32 PM by swordofkings128 » Logged

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2016, 12:32:35 AM »

oh my god i need this in my stupid life

edit: are you sure this isn't frog fractions 2
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 12:43:00 AM by rj™ » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15
Print
Jump to: