Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:19:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRe:creation - action adventure game about undeads
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Author Topic: Re:creation - action adventure game about undeads  (Read 27271 times)
eliasdaler
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2016, 08:48:02 PM »

This looks like a really fun game Smiley Following and can't wait to play!
Thank you! :D
kheftel
Level 0

Indie gamedev and aspiring pixel artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2016, 09:30:11 AM »

replying to subscribe! I read the entirety of your devlog on the SFML forums and am excited to follow your progress.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you get the character to face up while on the ladder, no matter if going up or down?
eliasdaler
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2016, 10:20:29 AM »

replying to subscribe! I read the entirety of your devlog on the SFML forums and am excited to follow your progress.
Awesome :D

If you don't mind me asking, how do you get the character to face up while on the ladder, no matter if going up or down?
I just lock character's animation direction to "up" when player is in OnLadderState. Smiley
kheftel
Level 0

Indie gamedev and aspiring pixel artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2016, 10:41:12 AM »

And I'm guessing the ladder is an entity, and when the player collides with it, that's when the climbing state gets set?
eliasdaler
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2016, 02:02:17 PM »

And I'm guessing the ladder is an entity, and when the player collides with it, that's when the climbing state gets set?
Yep. To be precise, if player collides with it and goes in the direction of the ladder. Smiley
eliasdaler
« Reply #125 on: July 04, 2016, 01:20:13 PM »

Hi, everyone, I'm back!
I recently finished my bachelor's degree and now I'm free for some time so I'll work on the game as hard as I can!

I've published new dev log about what I did in the recent months. There's some new stuff that I didn't write before (especially Action Lists) so be sure to check it out.

Today I've also made some awesome changes to input handling. Input was previously hard coded in C++ and this wasn't very good. But I've moved all input handling in Lua and finally separated input from game logic which is awesome:

Code: (lua)
playerCallbacks = {
    usePrimaryItem = {
        action = ButtonPressedAction(self.buttons.PrimaryAction),
        f = function()
            playerEntity:usePrimaryItem()
        end
    }
}

inputManager:setCallback("Press_Primary", playerCallbacks.usePrimaryItem)
So, I register callbacks and bind them to different actions. Suppose that I entered the menu and now pressing Primary Action button does some another thing.

It's pretty easy to change, I just do this:
Code: (lua)
inputManager:setCallback("Press_Primary", menuCallbacks.select)

Very easy and clean. Still, it may not be perfect, so feel free to advice some stuff I may do better. Smiley
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 04, 2016, 10:47:03 PM »

Welcome back! And congratulations on getting your degree! Coffee
eliasdaler
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2016, 10:31:18 AM »

Welcome back! And congratulations on getting your degree! Coffee
Thanks a lot!
eliasdaler
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2016, 10:23:46 PM »

I drew new walking animation and made some slight changes to Renatus' design.

I think it's much better than all previous iterations. :D

It looks very clean. :D
The coolest thing about it is that it was pretty cheap to make. 2nd and 4th frames are idle frames and 1st and 3rd just mirror each other.

I've also made some random tile tests to figure out how much "nature-like" I can make roads and the result looks pretty good:

That's only 5 road-grass transition tile variations (some tiles are just mirrored and rotated). Now I'll have to draw something like that for Re:creation :D

Don't have much time to work on the game atm but hopefully I'll soon get some!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2016, 11:55:17 PM »

Nice. Much more corpse-like too.
eliasdaler
« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2016, 02:56:08 AM »

Nice. Much more corpse-like too.
Thanks! Yeah, and there's so many details in the sprite which is almost equal in size:
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2016, 03:26:05 AM »

Wow, side-by-side the difference is pretty impressive  Shocked. Nice progress on your artistic skills! Coffee
Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2016, 04:33:17 AM »

Following!

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
eliasdaler
« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2016, 01:23:41 PM »

I've started working on the game really hard again two weeks ago and I've made a huge progress since then. Most of the things I did can be considered refactoring and repairing broken stuff, but doing so, I've managed to improve the quality of the code and easily implement some cool things I previously couldn't.
Most of the work was done by porting some stuff from C++ to Lua, because Lua provides great simplicity and wrappers for difficult stuff which I write in C++ and then can call from Lua.

There are still lots of things I have to do before I stop doing "invisible" work and repaying my programmer debt... But I feel like I'm on the right path and things have been going very well for the last two weeks.

What makes me especially happy is that I move on pretty quick and work on very important things. Things that let me implement new game features. Things that let me fix bugs, make the game easier to expand and modify.

Yes, I could have made a game with lots of bad code and then I could have made another one where the code was better. But this isn't a case for my game, because I don't want to have many limitations which will limit me.

Here's an example of the thing that probably increased re-usability of the code and allowed me to implement very complex cutscenes in no time: action lists. Yes, I've managed to do similar stuff with state machinest... but can you imagine how difficult it would be if I had to do big cutscenes with primitive tools? This would have hurt my desire to make cutscenes really awesome and I'd be looking for a easy way out. This is not the approach I want to take.

Hopefully, I haven't been doing lots of wasteful work which you would consider as overkill. (Well, I can think of one thing: Meta serialization/deserialization system). But I think that most things I do are made to make me build the game, not just some random engine. YAGNI is an important principle which I follow and there haven't been a thing I've made for the game which I don't use.

I realize that the progress hasn't been as quick as some people want it to be. But you have to understand lots of factors which cause this: I'm a solo developer, I develop my engine from scratch (almost), I have other things to do in my life, as well as several others (which I'll explain in an article I plan to write soon).

I'll explain in detail what I did in next post which will summarize all the things I did in the previous 2-3 months.
Let's see what I'll have to say in a week or two. Hopefully, things will be very optimistic by then and I'll start working on a new content, of which there haven't been much lately.
I hope that this will be kind of a "reboot" of the thread and I'll be able to deliver more stuff.
And I just want to thank everyone for all the support and encouragment in this thread. All of it fills me with great pride for my work and makes me work harder and make Re:creation the best game I can do.
eliasdaler
« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2016, 12:35:11 AM »

Just got my game's gifs stolen on 9gag: http://9gag.com/gag/a25X7P9
Some guy claimed that he's been developing the game, but he's not me, of course.
The game got lots of attention and praise, so it's pretty good, I guess. But the OP acted like a jerk and said he's going to open e-mail account which may be some scam/phishing deal. Any thoughts on this?
UPD: made a post here and on reddit as well.
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2016, 01:01:15 AM »

Damn, that's weird as fuck.  I mean, 9GAG is one of the shittiest websites in existence, but posing as the developer of a game is just so out there.  I guess he wants attention, but, it's not like he's going to be able to deliver on anything he said obviously, and his 5 minutes of fame will mean nothing.

eliasdaler
« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2016, 01:11:30 AM »

Damn, that's weird as fuck.  I mean, 9GAG is one of the shittiest websites in existence, but posing as the developer of a game is just so out there.  I guess he wants attention, but, it's not like he's going to be able to deliver on anything he said obviously, and his 5 minutes of fame will mean nothing.
Yeah, 9gag has very bad reputation for stealing other people's content, but that was a little bit too much.
And I have no idea why he did this. I would understand if there was some demo/alpha of my game, but there isn't! So maybe all this was just for some karma? xD
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 06, 2016, 02:34:49 AM »

It's fucked up but since you're the one who is in the right, I say ride the wave, drop everything except PR for now and fix up a proper website! Well, hello there!
eliasdaler
« Reply #138 on: October 06, 2016, 02:55:08 AM »

It's fucked up but since you're the one who is in the right, I say ride the wave, drop everything except PR for now and fix up a proper website! Well, hello there!
Working on the Re:creation info/press kit page for my blog right now! :D
eliasdaler
« Reply #139 on: October 15, 2016, 09:41:50 AM »

The temporary official page is here
I'll later add some art, more info and gifs! And maybe I'll make "Re:creation technical info" page where I'll write some coding stuff and will like to dev logs. What are some things that you'd like to see here?

And here's just a little thing I did in 3 minutes. But hey, it made such an improvement!

This works extremely simple: I just start playing "idle" animations from the random frames. :D
This will work really great for making the world feel more alive, especially when I'll add more animations to the scenery.

P.S.
The things with 9gag has passed. I've made some threads on /r/gamedev and lots of people supported me and said that my game looks pretty neat. That feels me with passion to work harder on the game and gives me confidence that it can be somewhat successful if I do it right. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 09:48:00 AM by eliasdaler » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic