Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:21:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGraybles - A game about many perspectives
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Graybles - A game about many perspectives  (Read 9256 times)
dmarqs
Level 0

Making Graybles

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2015, 04:20:01 PM »

A multi perspective game, where you play with mixed screens of different angles and views, in a 3D/ 2D environment.

check more on twitter

Multiple perspective brings an unique way to play and understand the world. It all happens in a 3D environment but with different 2D views. You can move our hero by touching any screen, allowing to access certain areas that cannot be reached with only one view. Because of that, a lot of mixes can be made: top-down with side views, diagonal perspectives that hides objects or even first person view with 45º angle.

Right now Graybles has 8 fully playable levels with the 'many perspective' experience. It took me 8 months to develop, including art and everything game design and programming. I expect to release in 2016 and have some help with art and sound.

It has been very hard to build every level, but very rewarding! Each one has it's own way of undestanding, requiring time to mix perspective puzzle design and level design. I've been using some game design principles like kishōtenketsu as showed by Koichi Hayashida and something I'm calling “pattern ‘two and a half’”, which I would like to talk more about it later.

It'll have 40 levels, and 10 playable characters. Each character can be played in 4 levels. We will learn about each character in the beginning and at the end of their worlds. I want something more humorous for them, so expect some jokes on the way!

Outside the main game, I want to implement something like collectible cards. Cards can be exchanged when the player collect enough 'Red Gifts', that she gets in the main game.

I'm Daniel Marques, I've been doing games for fun for the last years on my own, while keeping my full time job, here in Brazil, doing mobile apps. I'm the only one doing the game, including programming, game design and art. As you could see, I'm really not good at art and I need help.

Summing up:

- A lot of screens with each one showing a different angle of the level. Got it.
- 8 levels ready.
- The name Graybles is a tribute to an 'Adventure Time' episode.
- As I'm a huuuuge fan of AT show, I'm dying to make a funny game.
- 40 mind-bending levels and 10 characters.
- Collectable cards.
- A lot of work to complete.
- Definitely not good at art nor composing. (Yes, I need help)
- Still doing in my spare time.
- Still want to release in 2016.

That’s it, I hope you're liking what you're seeing! It has been a great experience as game designer to develop Graybles and a real pleasure. (besides all work)

More to come in the next months! =)

check more on twitter
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 01:02:49 PM by dmarqs » Logged

Mr. Levich
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 08:50:10 PM »

Hey, looks really good! I like your art-style and I think a puzzle like that would work great on mobile. I would certainly play it Smiley
Do you plan on adding more mechanics, except dice and buttons?
Is there only one sideview or you can switch through all of them, like in Fez?
As for that top-down screenshot - it looks more or less understanable (good job on that), but I would add more hatching types to make different ground even more distinguishable - like, a cross pattern, or waves, or something else.
Good luck with your game! Smiley

dmarqs
Level 0

Making Graybles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 02:32:35 AM »

Hi Mr. Levich,

Thanks for the comment! Our Way Up! Devlog was one of my inspirations to build this. =)

Do you plan on adding more mechanics, except dice and buttons?
Is there only one sideview or you can switch through all of them, like in Fez?

Yes, I plan to add more mechanics, not just moving terrains. One of them is to have some kind of portals too. My main focus is the puzzle with the perspective. Things that you can do with this multi views and what it can be did with it.

In this first level will be only one sideview. Yes, I want to implement something where you could switch through views, but it's not something controllable like in Fez. It will be part of the puzzle, just where it's needed, depending the level that needs it. The first one in the image for sure does not.

Fez is one of my inspirations to build this game! =)

As for that top-down screenshot - it looks more or less understanable (good job on that), but I would add more hatching types to make different ground even more distinguishable - like, a cross pattern, or waves, or something else.
Good luck with your game! Smiley

I tried some different patterns, and want to try more yet. Part of the job of building this kind of puzzle is: Players, you will be confused, but not so much. Is that enough? So, it's hard to find the sweet spot. And I like your hatching idea, will try it! =)

dmarqs
Level 0

Making Graybles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 02:52:17 AM »

Update #1

Hi everyone, first update here. Have been given some attention to the second level. This one will be totally side view. It's going to be a building with two sides of it. The puzzle consists of changing from one perspective view of the building to another to go down to the main objective. It's still just art yet, no implementation in that moment. Hope to post something in the next update. =)

As promised, here are some gifs of the movimentation and some animation of the hero. It's all in the first level.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 02:58:27 AM »

Update #1

lol, looks like he is taking his pants off via the platform.
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 03:31:32 AM »

This is so, so wonderful! It looks beautiful and the mechanics seem incredibly solid, the fact that you do not control the perspective a la Fez is a huge bonus too especially with mobile as a target. I really look forward to the future of this devlog! I had a question about the shadows. You are somehow creating shadows that have a pixel perfect edge, how have you achieved this in Unity? Rather than them being smooth, it makes the whole thing look very nice. Is there a screen effect darkening the edges too?

dmarqs
Level 0

Making Graybles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 04:44:55 PM »

Hi JctWood!

Thanks! I'm working really hard to make everything beautiful and entertainment at the same time, and our fellow devs here has been such a great inspiration. =)

About the shadows: I didn't had a lot of trouble with that. It's actually not thaaaaaaat pixel perfect, I still want to work better on that yet. My main concern was avoid shadow acne.
Here's my implementation of the light right now:

Hope it helps! =)

dmarqs
Level 0

Making Graybles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 03:25:12 PM »

Update #2

Hello again!

It took some time but I'm close to finish the second level. Still not happy with the main hero of the level. I think I'll work a bit more in him before show here. =)

Today I'll like to show my tiles in voxels. There is some unused tiles there too. I need to organize all of this yet some day. =D

All of this work was done in photoshop and copy-paste in Qubicle, so it could be voxelized.

One last thing: I'll start to use twitter more often for the game, so, I hope to find you there! twitter.com/dmarqsp

(First level)

(Second level)

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 06:25:09 AM »

I love the variety in the new level! How do you actually place the voxel objects in Unity? Are you using a tilemap system?

dmarqs
Level 0

Making Graybles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 03:15:06 PM »

Thanks JctWood!

I've been using TileTool from Unluck Software, it's in the Unity Assets Store. It's a nice tool, I thought a lot about it before start the game, if I should do something by myself or use an asset. After exporting from Unity, I still have to create prefabs for every voxel object and link everyone to be readable by Tiletool. It's not really a tilemap system, but it do the job.

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 01:47:34 PM »

Looks fun!

I am enjoying the dual level perspective and the art style. Will be following. Smiley

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 05:32:24 PM »

Wow this looks spectacular. I'm loving your art style.

Perspective-based gameplay has been quite a trend lately but to me it's never caught my eye, but you certainly did. Your gameplay looks really fun and interesting, and the way it blends with your artwork is so amazing, as it look so simplistic, but refined and adorable. I'm following you now, great work  Smiley

dmarqs
Level 0

Making Graybles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 02:55:48 AM »

Thanks for the kind words Ashtonmorris and Vaasm. This really inspire me to keep working. =)

Update #3

Ok, still not finished, but here it is an image of level 2. I'm still implementing some mechanics like a third camera that shows off with a switch activation. I'm still studying if the art is going to be pink-sh (like how it is right now) or not. And still want to play a little more with hero's art.

As previously explained, this level will have two side views: when you pass through the door, you'll be in the other side. That gives me a lot of different puzzles to have with a simple mechanic as that.

Hope you'll like it! =)

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 03:34:50 AM »

WOOO looks loveluy!!!

dmarqs
Level 0

Making Graybles

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 02:42:40 AM »

Update #4

Hello everyone! Here's a small update: a third "hidden" camera from level 2! It's activated when the hero is in a different special floor. When working with 2 views you can't see that special area, which makes a lot of opportunities to have hidden places.

Oh, and I made a Vine too https://vine.co/u/908082516475387904

dmarqs
Level 0

Making Graybles

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 02:44:18 AM »

Update #5

Hello everyone! Finally finished level 2. As you can see in the image below, made a change with the background. I was loving the pink background, but I it not feels right. 100% sure I'll make a level in the future with pink BG. =)

old                                                    new

This another image is the planning of the level 2. There is a lot of hidden paths on purpose because, I wanted to see how much of the multi-view way of thinking the player got.
This week I'll make a lot of test with my friends testers, see if everyone understand how it works this time.

It's been a great pleasure work in this game. Hope everyone's enjoying it. =)

dmarqs
Level 0

Making Graybles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 05:02:25 PM »

Update #6

Hello everyone! This week I decided to focus on some material art for, like icon and a cover. Finally updated my avatar, my first post with new gifs and my twitter cover. =D

Here's some color test for the cover, and the chosen one.

And here it is a new gif of level 2. Hope you'll all like it! =)

dmarqs
Level 0

Making Graybles

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 02:25:01 AM »

Update #7

Hi everyone! In this week I started to build level 3. Again, it's going to be very different from lv1 and 2. I still have a lot to explore about multi views - as you can see how things going in the images below. =)

Anyways, I decided to send to IGF. It's going to be a long road to submit everything that I want until the deadline.

barley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 04:04:08 AM »

This is looking really good so far Smiley

ThilDuncan
Level 0

Indie Developer at Ghost Town Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 04:53:41 AM »

Really liking what I'm seeing, I can imagine some really difficult puzzles where you're having to keep an eye on all 3 view at once :-) Liking the picture-in-picture stuff too, gives it a sort of interactive comicbook feel. great work!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic