Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411475 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 02:16:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsViolent Sol - Worlds
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Violent Sol - Worlds  (Read 4125 times)
F1tZy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2015, 07:21:02 PM »

Violent Sol:Worlds takes the player and his friends to the edge of the universe. You have been recruited to start a colony on a planet more than 4 light years away from earth to save the human race from overpopulation and a severe lack of resources.  The entire game is played in a top down view and allows for item, vehicle, and structure crafting, building and use. While a portion of this game is growing farms there are also other forces at work. Using a script-able and dynamic AI to change the conditions, animals, and even npcs around the player gives Rim Worlds a highly dynamic and re-playable experience.

• A nearly infinite living world with a rugged sci fi theme.
  • Mod the game from release 1.0 and craft your own experience.
  • Cars, planes, and all manner of things that move can be built and used in combat or daily survival.
  • Craft most items in the game including  vehicles, weapons, equipment, and building materials to shape the world around you.
  • Who likes things stock? Customize vehicles, buildings, and even weapons to your liking and style.
  • Top down shooter fun, using high paced action mechanics to create exciting battles.
  • An AI overlord in game that will always injects fresh and new events into the world based on player interactions. Giving the user endless and random events to pour hours of time in to.
  • Base building and resource gathering, it's no fun fending off bandits if all you have is a tree in a field. Expansive construction system that allows you to survive in custom built style.
  • Single Player or Multiplayer, join your friends or go it alone and take on the harsh world with nothing but your guts and side arm.

Feel free to track us IndieDB http://www.indiedb.com/games/violent-sol-worlds
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:34:47 PM by F1tZy » Logged
F1tZy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 07:36:23 PM »

Spending time setting up early design and some marketing info.We have this crazy idea of getting validation before moving on with a project.
stupidrat
Level 0

I love Game Development

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 01:45:17 AM »

Putting some time in on an animation for our crafting.  In game there is a maker that allows for the player to create different items from components.  Here you see the start of the animation when the machine glows.  I'll post the final animation when it is completed.

stupidrat
Level 0

I love Game Development

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 05:19:45 PM »

Made a first pass at the light pulsing from the maker as it creates your item.

stupidrat
Level 0

I love Game Development

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 02:00:48 AM »

Today our team is meeting and discussing the rough draft of our kickstarter page.  A lot going on here recently.  It is exciting.  I really gotta get that crafting animation done. 

stupidrat
Level 0

I love Game Development

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 06:16:21 PM »

Had an awesome meeting.  We fleshed out the content for Kickstarter and Greenlight tonight.  Now we have to put those two pages together.  It is amazing how much goes into a game that is not game development.  But we love this stuff.

stupidrat
Level 0

I love Game Development

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 02:03:11 AM »

Creating spritesheets for the different maker states so that we can get a good visual for the maker working on your crafted items.  I have animations done for the drawer opening and closing as well to collect the item you crafted.  This is all coming along nicely.

stupidrat
Level 0

I love Game Development

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 07:36:50 PM »

We just launched our website at ViolentSol.com Go check it out for a look at our team and a great showcase on what Violent Sol Worlds is. 

stupidrat
Level 0

I love Game Development

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 04:12:24 PM »

Starting to put this awesome creature in the game-play demo.

stupidrat
Level 0

I love Game Development

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 07:33:19 AM »

The Automated Miner
In a survival game, like Violent Sol: Worlds, you will find yourself in need of resources to craft, build, and survive off of. One way to get resources is to mine for them. In most games you walk around with a pick and chop at stone and other substances and gather resources by hand. In Worlds, you will be able to place down a miner and it will work while you stay engaged in building and exploring on the vast planet you are settling.
What is the miner?
A miner is a machine that you can craft and place in an area of the planet. It will gather resources, such as iron, on your behalf in the area of your choosing.

What does this mean for game-play?
You will be able to gather underground resources without wasting your time mindlessly clicking everywhere. You will be free to deal with events, explore, and tame the planet you were placed on. All you will do is find a great place to put your miners and periodically check on them. While they are mining they will gather resources based on their location. You will have to pickup the resources from the miners so if they are placed in a harsh remote area of the planet, although rewarding, the precious resources will be that much harder to bring home.
What can happen to a miner?
Miners are craft-able machines, so they are made out of component parts. Each part can break. So you may find yourself fixing a power supply or a drill, and not just fixing the miner as a whole. This adds to realism and makes maintaining your equipment something you need to think about. Do you create spare parts? do you simply trash that one and make a new one entirely. We also think it will be possible that a miner gets destroyed in combat, or by a creature, or even stolen.

We need your input
We are a development team that will listen to the people who love Violent Sol: Worlds as much as we do. If you have any ideas, concerns, or questions about the game, we want/need to hear them. This game will only get better with your participation and getting involved early will make it that much better for you. Thank you in advance for all your wonderful input.

stupidrat
Level 0

I love Game Development

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 03:29:57 PM »

Been putting work in to get a herd of Cow-like animals to move away from each other and a car so they seem natural.

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 07:04:17 PM »

This kinda reminds me of the game Notrium, from quite a while back now:

http://www.instantkingdom.com/notrium/

stupidrat
Level 0

I love Game Development

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 07:20:59 PM »

We are trying to re-capture the joy of a top-down action game from the past only with survival, building, crafting, and driving.  I can see the similarities to Notrium. 

stupidrat
Level 0

I love Game Development

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 02:55:38 PM »

have our first pass at our crafting device interface, rough but functional
What do you think?

stupidrat
Level 0

I love Game Development

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 01:22:15 PM »

Working tonight to make the game-play video have a fuller world.

stupidrat
Level 0

I love Game Development

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 02:32:42 AM »

Started to put work down into defining our worlds Biomes for automated world generation. 

• Aquatic
  • Desert
  • Forest
  • Grassland

Just like in reality though there will be many different types of each that will dictate which kinds of resources, animals, and other types of things are present in the area. 

stupidrat
Level 0

I love Game Development

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 01:50:01 AM »

Pond Worm
General Description - This is a worm as big around as a small dog.  It is slow moving and can burrow under the ground.  I generally spends most of its time underground helping to till up the soil around and under the ponds and lakes of this new world.

stupidrat
Level 0

I love Game Development

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 04:53:04 PM »

We have started to write the details about the Universe for Violent Sol Worlds.  We are starting with some key corporations that play a massive role in the universe.  We started with the Avrio corporation.  You can go to our website to read up on the history here

We even created a logo that matched the corporations feel.  What do you think?

stupidrat
Level 0

I love Game Development

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2015, 05:06:33 PM »

Violent Sol Worlds needs you help.

Introducing Violent Sol Worlds Kickstarter and Greenlight

Help us promote our funding and greenlight projects by spreading the word.  We are very happy with the support so far. 

stupidrat
Level 0

I love Game Development

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 04:33:53 AM »

I put in a ton of work yesterday to get a ton of back end systems working together.  I started out getting a texture displaying to the screen which was not hard as I have done that millions of times...

I then got the image displaying in the proper position with Farseer physics simulation so that we could use a physics engine to determine collisions and motion etc.  From there I got the input system which uses an action queue to take in a few key presses to get the image to move...

Now I plugged in a physics debug view and had some fun problems with the view matrix.  The circle is the physics body for the cowboy, you can see it is not correctly matching up with the image...

So after some work and a good nights sleep, I finally tracked down the issue to two things.  The physics engine was not being properly setup with its conversion scale, and the view matrix for the physics debug was not in simulation scale it was in display scale.  So I fixed that and made the cowboy be able to turn and now I have this...

All in all a ton of awesome stuff got figured out and tested yesterday as we dive into our true game code base.  I am so happy to be out of the POC stage, we proved the game was fun and now we are designing something that is highly expandable and modifiable, love the victories here.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic