Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:34:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesJonathan Blow and The Witness
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Jonathan Blow and The Witness  (Read 22299 times)
Dragonmaw
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2016, 06:46:32 PM »

*they

and it's like that because that is daphny's aesthetic.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2016, 11:54:22 PM »

I love the Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff aesthetic tbh.
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2016, 03:58:30 AM »

Ill prolly chekc it out. Looks cool.
Some drongus spoiled something about it on a podcast tho. Goddammit.

About the 100$ thing, yeah. I mean I wont love spending 100$ to get into greenlight, I dont have a lot of money.
But without that 100$ the flow of games on greenlight would probably be much, much worse. Its already really bad.

There is always itch.io. No fees there, just put it right up.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2016, 09:52:28 AM »

About the 100$ thing, yeah. I mean I wont love spending 100$ to get into greenlight, I dont have a lot of money.

The idea that if you don't already have money you'll never be worth money is cancerous. It is one of the few most single destructive thoughts a person can ever have about themselves, their career, or their life.
There's no other way to put it.

And Blow thinks that's valid.

Mr. Blow may have some interesting ideas, valid thoughts or philosophies. But that one quote alone should raise a big red flag that you should verify any pearls of 'wisdom' that Mr. Blow decides, in his magnanimous beneficence, to offer.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2016, 11:05:30 AM »

itch.io

back then desura

even trapthem is there

its not a situation where if you are not in steam dont get any hopes to sell your game

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2016, 11:25:12 AM »

its not a situation where if you are not in steam dont get any hopes to sell your game

well, it kinda is tbh, those other platforms represent a tiny % of sales, and at indie-style scale that's not any real money.

But, again, if your game is going to actually generate revenue for you on steam, you can afford greenlight. The marketing you need to do in order to make that happen costs a hell of a lot more in either money or good will than $100.

JWK5
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2016, 12:03:38 PM »

In another perspective...

"$100 might not seem like a lot to someone in the US, but in some countries that could be a substantial amount of money for an indie developer," Zeboyd Games' Robert Boyd told Ars when we asked about the issue. "I think a smaller fee would probably be a good idea... say a $30 fee to start an account would be enough to keep most of the non-game garbage off the service while being less of a drain on actual developers."

That said, Boyd said he didn't think the new fee structure would be a significant deterrent to someone who is devoted to making a living at making games. "I think if you're really serious about turning indie game development into a legitimate career, you're going to find a way to pay the fee, whether that's by using your own money or borrowing some money from friends or family or asking for donations from fans."

That was a common theme among the independent developers we talked to about Greenlight's new fee structure. "Making a game for somewhere like Steam, that people are going to want to pay for, is a lot of work," Braid developer Jonathan Blow told Ars. "If someone is able to do that much work, it's hard for me to think they can't come up with $100. Maybe you can think of some extreme case of someone in the developing world who is using a computer they got for free or something, but I think if you show someone like a publisher, Indie Fund, or a site like Kickstarter a strong game, it is pretty easy to get $100." And even in cases where the developer can't pay the fee, Dejobaan Games and a number of other more established indie developers have already pledged to loan the $100 fee to promising projects that want to get on Greenlight.

World of Goo developer Ron Carmel particularly sympathized with Valve's need to do something to prevent a glut of free submissions that were obviously not suited for Steam. "When we had an open submission process for Indie Fund, we were also flooded with submissions, the majority of which were very far from something we'd consider funding," he told Ars. "Requiring a developer to donate a hundred bucks ensures that people think twice about submitting a game, and I'm sure it will raise the quality of submissions significantly.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2016, 12:09:51 PM »

I'm just waiting to find the correct combination to make the raspi a valid dev machine and we will rediscussed the matter

100$ is 1/4 of what I get each month

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2016, 12:42:18 PM »

It totally is. Direct sales as a thing have plummeted in the recent years, even for more niche stuff that tends to have more dedicated fans. Steam is very close to monopoly on PC downloadables.

There are the consoles of course, but those are even more expensive to develop for.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2016, 12:49:03 PM »

Not to be mr invisible hand of the marketplace, but I think an indie divestment from steam is probably a good thing in the long run. Other marketplaces are so much better, and if they were something other than an afterthought by developers the game scene could move in some really cool directions.

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2016, 01:10:42 PM »

Not to be mr invisible hand of the marketplace, but I think an indie divestment from steam is probably a good thing in the long run. Other marketplaces are so much better, and if they were something other than an afterthought by developers the game scene could move in some really cool directions.

I'm pretty sure the invisible hand of the market is what forces indies to use steam tho, despite other platforms being better in every way to both consumers and developers

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2016, 03:23:43 PM »

I'm kind of excited for it, but moreso just because I like puzzles and exploring. I also liked Braid's hidden stars, and hope this game features something similarly well-hidden.

If it winds up being transcendental, bonus.

In an interview he affirmed the interviewer "so there's basically these iPad like terminals around the world.. it's very obvious where the puzzles are."

Later in the interview he said,

"We're building these areas and not hiding anything from you - it's right under your noses. But when you come back over many visits, you may see more."

So maybe there are secret mechanics like Braid, if he's not referring only to story motifs.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2016, 09:48:06 PM »

I'm just waiting to find the correct combination to make the raspi a valid dev machine and we will rediscussed the matter

If you ever need that fee paid for you, Gimmy, message me.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2016, 10:32:25 PM »

I think an indie divestment from steam is probably a good thing in the long run. Other marketplaces are so much better

How so?

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2016, 11:14:26 PM »

I think his reason might be that he doesn't want steam to get too big of a share on the marketplace. Steam asking for a fee means that quite a bunch of developers will look for other places to put their game up which is healthier for the industry.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2016, 07:20:04 AM »

If you ever need that fee paid for you, Gimmy, message me.

Oh! thanks!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2016, 10:26:34 AM »

so is the witness basically the first good myst game in umpteen years? i need OPINIANS.

also will i like it if i admire myst but find it incredibly annoying to actually play?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2016, 10:47:55 AM »

review are online

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »

i don't care about jon blow's opinions. i am going to play the shit out of this game

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2016, 01:22:51 PM »

So, the game doesn't blow? :^)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic