Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 07:11:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesJonathan Blow and The Witness
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Jonathan Blow and The Witness  (Read 22302 times)
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 28, 2016, 09:14:43 PM »

Idk, I really like the whole “variations on a theme” motif this game has. It's a really interesting practice in minimilism, and I find the constraints make the game much more focused, and almost zen-like imo
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2016, 09:20:53 PM »

Yeah, well I already really hate it. Between the fluctuating framerate and resolution (because yes, the resolution changes dynamically to accommodate for shitty computers) and the puzzles that I could not understand for the life of me, I found myself unable to have a good time. This is one game I'm not playing again.

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 29, 2016, 02:48:55 AM »

So I got about halfway through and decided I have better things to do so I used a walkthrough. Paid $40 gonna see all that art. No spoilers but the ending sucked, felt like a big fuck you, even for someone like me that put in half effort. Funny thing is I can't get the second ending (I'm assuming there's a second) cause the game is so hard no walkthrough is complete yet. Tongue

So this tape is weird. I remember the ending the first time you hear it but the full thing is kind of bizarre and it seems like Jonathan Blow is quoting himself.

Also this totally should have played out the game:

BTW (semi-spoiler) the video files really caught me off guard and visually were very beautiful. I've never felt something quite like that in a game. Regardless, the messages in most of them were pretty terrible imo. I think I only enjoyed two of them really.

Okay there is a second ending and it's also really dumb. Is this a joke?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 03:11:17 AM by Armageddon » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 29, 2016, 05:41:25 AM »

(because yes, the resolution changes dynamically to accommodate for shitty computers)

hahahaha wat a heck
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 29, 2016, 05:48:09 AM »

Yeah, that was really jarring for me. Made the game really nauseating too.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 29, 2016, 06:39:42 AM »

(because yes, the resolution changes dynamically to accommodate for shitty computers)

hahahaha wat a heck

It's actually common practice in games, WW on wiiU does this too

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 29, 2016, 06:46:43 AM »

I've never seen this done until now, and it's not fun. I kinda wish I had a better computer too.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 29, 2016, 07:18:47 AM »

hahahaha wat a heck

Actually happens way more commonly than you would think. Tons of games do this. Especially on console.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 29, 2016, 08:09:05 AM »

such as?
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 29, 2016, 08:23:46 AM »

"dynamic resolution"

halo 5
Star ocean 5
witcher 3
killzone
wipeout
doom3 bfg edition

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: January 29, 2016, 08:24:13 AM »

why drop frames when you can drop pixels

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 29, 2016, 08:26:19 AM »

hey the witness is still really good

fuck the audio puzzled tho.

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 29, 2016, 08:30:33 AM »

http://kotaku.com/five-years-ago-jonathan-blow-knew-just-what-the-witnes-1755777462

The video is an interesting one; don't let the splash pic caption fool you. I think he actually explains rather well why I don't like puzzle games much anymore.

Bearing that last statement in mind, I don't have any immediate plans to shell out the $40 for this one.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 29, 2016, 09:44:24 AM »

such as?

halo 5 is one I was actually just looking at yesterday. It can drop to 800 width.

EDIT : There's also of course the standard method of having some of your render passes at fractions of the final resolution that are then scaled up to match the final render target but many passes don't have much visual difference at a lower resolution so it doesn't really matter.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 09:49:56 AM by InfiniteStateMachine » Logged

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: January 29, 2016, 08:02:02 PM »

Has anyone tried

1) The konami code
2) Drawing on your shadow

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: January 29, 2016, 10:08:02 PM »

Unfortunately, this is an example for "talk the talk but not walk the walk". I agree with the key points in this vid but when I am playing the game they aren't reflected. A lot of puzzles are based on weak disjointed abstractions, like literal line-patterns in shadows. They are not powerful concepts but messy child-level of thinking with little intellectual reward(some people might be fine with that and it is ok if they enjoy it). And then the more challenging puzzles are rather achieved by "hacked-in" rules, and not by a clean efficient rule set that can generate diverse challenges by its own.

I agree that adventure games lack clarity. However with Myst you at least got a more interesting adventure. But with this game you get a weak adventure and also a weak puzzle game. Personally, I see more value in focusing and do at least one thing right.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2016, 05:57:59 PM »

Unfortunately, this is an example for "talk the talk but not walk the walk". I agree with the key points in this vid but when I am playing the game they aren't reflected. A lot of puzzles are based on weak disjointed abstractions, like literal line-patterns in shadows. They are not powerful concepts but messy child-level of thinking with little intellectual reward(some people might be fine with that and it is ok if they enjoy it). And then the more challenging puzzles are rather achieved by "hacked-in" rules, and not by a clean efficient rule set that can generate diverse challenges by its own.

I agree that adventure games lack clarity. However with Myst you at least got a more interesting adventure. But with this game you get a weak adventure and also a weak puzzle game. Personally, I see more value in focusing and do at least one thing right.

Some of the puzzles do feel easy mode. That said, a few have stumped me and I think the game does something interesting in regards to teaching the player its language (insert quote about "games should be a tutorial always teaching".. forget where I first heard this but heard lot of designer interviews talk about this).

I disagree with you about "weak disjointed abstractions". I'm thinking of the forest temple when you talk about the lines in shadows. I thought it was cool how the trees are shown, then you do puzzles with the trees, then you realize you use their shadows to solve the next thing. It's just a (non-so) secret.

That said.. at least 1 of those forest tree shadow puzzles I swore I followed the shadows.. and the correct solution was a slightly different alignment. That felt slightly arbitrary (could have been more explicit with the shadows) and frustrating.

I do think the game is doing something interesting tying its core mechanic (drawing lines through mazes) to the "story" of unlocking new areas - the mechanics are a miniature more detailed version of the over-arching process. I find it interesting the game makes a core puzzle mechanic its mechanic in the context of an adventure game, as opposed to just puzzle to puzzle.

Weather the game hit the points in that video is subjective, but I think they at least made a good effort. If you disagree I am curious, how would you have done the Witness, assuming the core concept of solving mazes?

Dragonmaw
« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2016, 06:22:06 PM »

j-snake has already created a superior version of the witness, at least according to his own principles
jeremiah
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2016, 06:25:52 PM »

I'm really afraid the narrative conceit is gonna be art is pointless, science objectivity = best. That'd be rich coming from an art game.

Funny you say this. I was really struck by a specific part that said something very similar and my immediate reaction was like yours.

Minor spoiler:

There's an in-game video you can watch of a James Burke program. It's from the video here starting at 44:00
"
"At best the products of human emotion: art, philosophy, politics, music, literature are interpretations of the world that tell you more about the guy who is talking than the about the world he's talking about. Second hand views of the world made third hand my your interpretation of them."

Anyway, I beat the game today. It's an absolutely beautiful game. The island, while always seeming to me to be a bit tacky when viewed from overhead, is so wonderful to explore on the ground level.

The game really is an epiphany producing machines. It gives you vague or sometimes even misleading notions about what various symbols mean. Much later, it guides you to figuring these errors out one by one. So it does the job. I did feel like this class of puzzle was quite separate from the environmental puzzles. Often they felt repetitive and at other times arbitrary.

The biggest letdown is the total lack of story. The world really begs for an explanation. But you're constantly reminded that you're not really a character in a world that has its own backstory. No, you're just a player playing a video game made by Jonathan Blow and friends. Nothing to see here.

There was a part immediately before the end "cutscene." That area, the puzzles there, the subtle music. It was sublime. I kind of wish the game had ended right there.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike - dev log
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: January 31, 2016, 06:51:08 PM »

man whatever you think about the puzzles or story in this game, the island's design is simply brilliant. not even from a level design perspective, but an artistic one as well. it's gorgeous, not a single part of it feels pointless and everything connects in a clear logical way. I love it

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic