Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:21:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesJonathan Blow and The Witness
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
Print
Author Topic: Jonathan Blow and The Witness  (Read 22275 times)
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 24, 2016, 01:41:10 PM »

My only exposure to soulja boy is from that one clip they show of him in "Indie Game: The Movie".

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: February 24, 2016, 02:32:32 PM »

^ pls

If Soulja Boy and Jonathan Blow meet in real life it might cause a matter-antimatter annihilation that destroys our universe.

Wow there have been articles about this.

oh i thought you were riffing on that! i was all about that article hahah. if only soulja boy were still popular...

My only exposure to soulja boy is from that one clip they show of him in "Indie Game: The Movie".

soulja boy and indie games are inextricably linked. back in the day he did video reviews of XLA games with him and his friends just hanging out and goofing around, right when indies were getting on there. i remember the indie game people i knew at the time saying that it was stupid, now every single one of those people have twitch channels, lmao

Dragonmaw
« Reply #222 on: February 24, 2016, 02:50:57 PM »

the soulja boy review of braid is one of the most important indie game reviews ever, honestly.
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 26, 2016, 03:00:28 AM »

http://sarahburrini.com/en/comic/a-biyutiful-mind/
jeremiah
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: February 26, 2016, 06:54:40 AM »

spoilers https://twitter.com/jonathan_blow/status/626524982982504448

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike - dev log
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: March 03, 2016, 05:01:58 AM »

I dreamed that Jonathan was in my kitchen while I cooked (along with 2 asians who were sitting at the table). I pitched him "The Witnessing" -- an MMO based on the 10 seconds of Witness gameplay I first saw a few weeks ago, using beer bottles to demonstrate.

I woke up and loaded The Indie Fund to discover that playable prototypes are requested so.. I'll come back to this one asap  Cool

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: March 04, 2016, 08:40:24 AM »

dude

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 04, 2016, 11:44:23 AM »

wat..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 01:51:40 PM by Jalapenosbud » Logged

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: March 05, 2016, 08:17:44 AM »

I dreamed that Jonathan was in my kitchen while I cooked (along with 2 asians who were sitting at the table). I pitched him "The Witnessing" -- an MMO based on the 10 seconds of Witness gameplay I first saw a few weeks ago, using beer bottles to demonstrate.

I woke up and loaded The Indie Fund to discover that playable prototypes are requested so.. I'll come back to this one asap  Cool
don't let your dreams just be dreams

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: March 16, 2016, 04:11:14 PM »

Haha thank you. I think the MMO puzzle concept could be fun. I'm reworking a game I was never happy with though so.. Witnessing may take a while to get too. How did you like The Witness Manuel?

Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: March 18, 2016, 07:19:19 AM »

"The Witnessing" sounds like something M. Night Shyamalan would make. 

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: March 18, 2016, 01:29:28 PM »

"The Witnessing" sounds like something M. Night Shyamalan would make. 

Heh, my roommate & I kept joking after each puzzle in the Witness that the game would fade to black and just say "2016: Jonathan Blow".. M Shymalan style for sudden twists.

JWK5
« Reply #232 on: March 18, 2016, 07:15:26 PM »

Mods, please rename this topic "Jonathan Blow's The Witness".

Thank you.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 18, 2016, 07:31:36 PM »

Done

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: March 18, 2016, 10:31:19 PM »

*blows

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: March 19, 2016, 05:12:27 AM »

Haha thank you. I think the MMO puzzle concept could be fun. I'm reworking a game I was never happy with though so.. Witnessing may take a while to get too. How did you like The Witness Manuel?
Haven't played it, but I'll try it out one day.

Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: March 22, 2016, 08:45:46 AM »

Taming the Inexplicable: "[The Witness] is the big, fat multimillion dollar vision of a Silicon Valley programmer awkwardly trying to refashion himself as an artist, which makes The Witness the perfect piece of art for a design-obsessed, art-illiterate video-game crowd."

Are your jimmies rustled?

In all seriousness this article is well written and makes some great points. There are ending spoilers towards the middle, so be aware.

JWK5
« Reply #237 on: March 22, 2016, 12:19:41 PM »

I took a look at the game (watched some play-throughs) but I don't think it is really my cup of tea.

I am probably a horrible human being and a failure to true artistry for saying this, but if the game were pretty much Etrian Odyssey had some RPG battles and loot I'd probably have bought it in a heartbeat because I can imagine a good oldschool-ish FPS dungeon crawler with those graphics and it would be pretty awesome. As the game is I'd probably play it for a good 10 minutes, get bored, and immediately go cleanse my video game palette with some Mortal Kombat XL.

The only thing I really despise about the whole "art game" movement is the part where the creators apparently forgot that art can be fun too, it doesn't all have to be sterile monuments to self-importance and friendly reminders that everyone else's interests are beneath the creators.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 01:13:46 PM by JWK5 » Logged
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: March 22, 2016, 01:43:26 PM »

The only thing I really despise about the whole "art game" movement is the part where the creators apparently forgot that art can be fun too, it doesn't all have to be sterile monuments to self-importance and friendly reminders that everyone else's interests are beneath the creators.

I've never met Blow but I think his intentions are noble, if not at least interesting. 
He conveys his primary goal as shaping video games into a 'greater medium.'

Sure that sounds incredibly pretentious, and it totally is.

However, if we want to get past the 'Mountain Dew Dorito Era' of video games we need games like the Witness.

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: March 22, 2016, 01:58:05 PM »

He conveys his primary goal as shaping video games into a 'greater medium.'

Sure that sounds incredibly pretentious, and it totally is.

However, if we want to get past the 'Mountain Dew Dorito Era' of video games we need games like the Witness.
He never said that in regards to his own work though. He just frequently expresses what he thinks is wrong with the industry and what he would consider art in that sense. He's never said that his goal is to shape games into a better medium, just that he does what he thinks is good.

I also don't think he's actually that opposed to Call of Duty's multiplayer and its advertisement campaigns, but that's another point.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic