Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 03:13:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionPressure
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pressure  (Read 2766 times)
Nulldorf
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2009, 08:06:59 AM »

The Idea: You play as a mechanic working in a research facility on the deep sea floor. Of course in video games "research facility" is code for "place that's about to unleash ultimate evil/the apocolypse/zombies."

You haven't even been playing five minutes when those damn scientists open a strange hole in the ocean floor and a huge gas explosion rips the facility in half, and then crazy monsters start pouring out and eating all the scientists.

Luckily for you, you were about to go fix some other thing those scientists broke and had just put on your super deep-sea suit, so you survive. But how lucky are you really? As the lights of the shattered research facility flicker and die, you are cast into the absolute darkness of of the bottom of the ocean, surrounded by monsters.

If you want to live, you'll have to travel across the facility trying to restore power to send for help, or try and reach the sub bay and get out of there. You could also save some survivors (not that they deserve it...)

The Game: A turn-based survival RPG played from the cockpit of your enormous pressurized deep-sea suit.

The game will run on a raycasting engine I'm writing in Love2D. It will play (hopefully) something like "DoomRPG" or "Orcs and Elves." Rather than running around Doom style, the player moves a block at a time and can rotate left and right (no diagonals). Gameplay will involve battling the strange monsters from the murky depths and not running out of air.

In lieu of normal RPG stats all game info will be provided through the cockpit, with meters for things like air supply etc. Health will be shown by damage to your suit. The more damage you take the more cracks appear in your glass viewing window, etc.

The Cockpit should dominate the screen, hopefully giving the player a sense of claustrophobia.

So Far:
Took a few days to get the basic raycasting engine functioning...never done anything like this before, so it was a bit of a task. For some reason, on my work computer there are these funky lines...maybe that wont be a problem once textures are working?

No textures yet...we'll see how that goes.

Also here's a link to my inspiration for the suit:
http://www.leviathanfacility.com/portfolio.htm

The first two images on that page are what i'm looking at.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 08:08:22 AM »

Awesome!!! I love raycaster engines! I'm looking forward to this one.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Traveller
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 09:30:12 AM »

YAY.  Grew up on that RPG genre in part.
David Pittman
Level 2

MAEK GAEM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 11:39:21 AM »

Raycasting, turn-based gameplay, and deep sea scariness? This sounds like my cup of tea. Coffee <- (tea, not coffee)

Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 01:03:44 PM »

Sounds reminiscent of those Amiga/ST/early PC 3D adventure games (Castle Master, Driller etc.) Which is great because they were fantastic - look forward to seeing how this develops.

(There's another one, the name of which escapes me - not from the same people)
Nulldorf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 09:01:12 PM »

An updated screenshot:

After a few days of messing around I've realized I don't think textured floors and ceilings are going to be possible. Annoying, because I get 50+ fps before textures even on my 4 year old laptop, but 3 or 4 fps with floors added.

Anyway I'm hoping to make it part of the style...plus it's less textures to make, and I'm not artists. Maybe it's a blessing?

Demo to come soon when there is some sort of gameplay involved.
Fuzz
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 09:43:15 PM »

An updated screenshot:

After a few days of messing around I've realized I don't think textured floors and ceilings are going to be possible. Annoying, because I get 50+ fps before textures even on my 4 year old laptop, but 3 or 4 fps with floors added.

Anyway I'm hoping to make it part of the style...plus it's less textures to make, and I'm not artists. Maybe it's a blessing?

Demo to come soon when there is some sort of gameplay involved.
I actually really like the lack of visible floors/ceilings. It evokes darkness seeping into everything.
smn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 11:09:07 PM »

Same here. Make the walls interesting yet stylized and there's no need for any floors/ceilings!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic