Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:38:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHomestead - Farming RPG - DevLog
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Homestead - Farming RPG - DevLog  (Read 31816 times)
Lukan Spellweaver
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2016, 12:42:21 PM »

Update delay! :C

I am currently still working on the new Item system. I cannot release an update until it's finished, as the current state breaks a few things.
Changing a lot of code all over the game tends to do that though.

Next update should be out by friday.
Lukan Spellweaver
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2016, 08:54:57 PM »

AAAAANNNNNNNND, It's update time once again!
Grab dem files here: http://spellweavergames.com/downloads/homestead/

Changed thinguses in the game:
-Switched from a dependency on GM objects for Items to an intricate grid system.
-Old saves no longer work with the new systems in place, sorry.
-Farmland is now bought via the properties/real estate shop. Some beginning plots are there to allow you to start off.
-Some new art from the amazing Ninety has been added, with more on the way soon!
-The new pause menu has some options available IN GAME NOW! WOO! Key mapping is coming soon too, so you can do it on the fly.

Things I plan on adding in the next week or two
-a few more npcs
-FISHING!
Lukan Spellweaver
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2016, 09:27:27 AM »

Updates!
2.10.16a - Windows/Linux Alpha
MAJOR
-Bug stopping items from being picked up, effectively breaking the game
-Caverns crashing game instantly
MINOR
-A few crops like pumpkins still hadn't been working properly, they do now
ADDITIONS
-Name your farm by using the sign next to the road on the way to town
CHANGES
-Map layout reversed. Town is now to the right of the Homestead.

It's dated yesterday because that's when I built the Windows version.
Linux was built today with no changes to codebase.

Download Page
Ninety
Level 1

turnip boy

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2016, 07:15:50 PM »

Some new art from the last few days:

5 of the many gems you can find in the game.

Fully grown cabbages, ready to be harvested.

Lukan Spellweaver
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2016, 09:44:38 PM »

Update News!I was planning on a surprise update for Valentine's Day, but things have come up slowing down development. (mainly deadpool)
So, I'll share with you what the next update is going to have instead!
-Relationships with NPCs!
That's right! Get to know some people in the valley, and maybe you'll fall in love?
-Fishing!
That's right, a feature I myself am really excited about! While away your virtual spare time by fishing!
Maybe you'll catch the biggest fish in the Fishing Tourney every season!

Those are the major two, some other small stuff is a new shop in town, and more NPCs to interact with.
Lukan Spellweaver
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2016, 11:38:36 PM »

I'm not dead, and the update is gonna take longer than expected...
I've done a lot of work on smaller parts of the game like mining and fishing, however, adding NPCs proved difficult.

The few in the game now are mostly just tests of how they interact, but they don't really fully show what I plan NPCs to be like.
I've recently gotten some design help from a good source, and will be prototyping and debugging over the next few days to see if I can get it working.

Sorry for the delay!

Wizard
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2016, 08:40:59 AM »

The graphics with the gems look much better. If you update your art you would probably get more feedback!

Ninety
Level 1

turnip boy

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2016, 09:11:26 PM »

Hey RujiK! (Artist/musician here, if you didn't know.) We're still hard at work on the art redo, there's a lot going on behind the scenes. Almost all of the items have already been done, and all the art for farming will have been completely redone in a couple of days.

Ian_A
Level 2

Indie Artist & Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2016, 11:21:30 PM »

This looks pretty neat, keep up the good work.  Tongue

CRIMSON KEEP - First Person Action Roguelite
AlexDeee
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2016, 05:36:44 AM »

Have you thought of it being an open world multiplayer, as you know its always good t play with friends Smiley, if not open world then maybe just invite only to your world ?
Lukan Spellweaver
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2016, 07:25:13 PM »

The thought has been floating in my mind for a while(multiplayer), and I have decided against it, at least for now.
I'm capable of doing the networking, but I don't feel like the game actually benefits from multiplayer, and I don't want to just tack it on without reason.
With the feature list I have now, plopping multiplayer in at this point would increase my workload tremendously, and slow updates down significantly as the networking would also need updating with new features.

For now, no multiplayer, in the future, it's quite possible.

Ninety is hard at work on art, as can be seen in the following couple screens :D
Crop growing sprites, now per crop instead of all being the same.

GEMS!

FIIIISSSSHHHHHH!

I'm hard at work trying to get these new features working.
The NPCs are still being done... They're very time consuming and difficult though...
I plan to have a new update out before month's end, hopefully on the 15th. I've plowed through a lot of bugs in the last few days.
Lukan Spellweaver
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2016, 01:44:31 AM »

Today I worked on:
-A lot of NPC stuff, like holy moses, this is getting intense. I'm getting the systems in place though!
-I reworked some of the new mine stuff, so they propagate correctly.
-I fixed the issue of plugging in a gamepad making a standard Message. It now creates a special Notification class, that fades on it's own and doesn't obstruct the screen.
-I've worked tremendously on the story, I really think any fans of Harvest Moon will like it. Especially if you're a Magical Melody or Animal Parade fan.

Lots of work ahead, but more behind at this point, I think! :D
AlexDeee
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2016, 05:14:21 AM »

I'm getting really interested in this game, great potential here.
Do you have any plans to have a video showing us around in game?
Lukan Spellweaver
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2016, 02:26:27 PM »

I do, actually!
I want to make sure the features in game currently are solid before I record though.
I want to start doing maybe monthly devlog videos, showing new stuff and what not.

I've been pretty slow with game progress for a myriad of reasons lately.
I was a tad burned out on the npc thing, but finally have a system that should work planned.
I've been getting new art and even a new music track from Ninety.

I'm getting back into game dev, and also teaching myself C# for future (non-homestead)development.
Updates have been slow, and may stay that way for a while, but it's only because I want the game to be good.
pixelgriffin
Level 0

Developing With Love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2016, 09:52:50 PM »

I really love the look of those Gems! I adore farming games like these. I played the demo you have available (2.10?) and I think the my real issue with it is the controls. I had a very difficult time getting things under control. It was particularly confusing when the game went from "[space to continue]" to having the enter key be the confirm key, and then enter does nothing notable in game. Even in the seed shop you use space to confirm things.  Shocked

Anyways, good luck! Following.

Twitter: @pixelgriffin
Lukan Spellweaver
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2016, 11:13:14 PM »

The shifting between enter and space is due to me switching control schemes a while back.
I've yet to track down all the bits that use the Enter key.

Correction, I just went through and fixed this! Next build should be consistent on this!

Really pushing to get this stable for an update. I'm not gonna put a date on it, as every time I do I blow past the deadline, but soon.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 11:24:26 PM by Lukan Spellweaver » Logged
Lukan Spellweaver
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2016, 11:39:43 PM »

Not dead!
Doing some top secret testing on something I've been wanting to do.
And by top secret I mean, here's screenshots!

In case you can't tell, these are of Homestead running on my Amazon Fire(5th gen).
Full game, not a mobile port. Hoping the next update will have all the minor issues worked out.
Work has been slow, hence the hold up of updates. Sorry!
 Wizard Hand Metal Right
MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2016, 02:11:26 AM »

Cool, I'd love to have a farming rpg on my mobile (you know, one that doesn't require you to click on something and wait fifteen hours for your 'energy' to recover if you won't pay through the nose).

Question: are you sticking with the font in the info boxes? It feels a little out of place besides all the chunky pixels everywhere else.

Lukan Spellweaver
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2016, 12:50:31 PM »

None of the fonts used are final choices, no.
That has been one of the biggest issues I've had. Since we're changing all of the art, it's hard to settle on a font until all of the art is redone. I'll probably switch back to my previous font until more art has been changed.

Also, I'm pretty committed to making this the "anti-farmville". I despise the idea of in-app purchases, and feel content should be provided via updates not paywalls.

I'm trying to fix a few small things and push an update, possibly even an android demo, but I'm having issues.
Hope to update soonish!
 Wizard
Lukan Spellweaver
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2016, 04:20:33 PM »

Some new arts put in the game.
Still hammering out some bugs and working on NPC stuff.
I've a helluva lot of debugging to do.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic