Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:30:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDad Quest
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Dad Quest  (Read 16932 times)
CullenCoyote
Level 0

@cullenddwyer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2015, 05:11:21 PM »

I don't think there can possibly be enough dad-themed video game ventures in this life time.  Keep it up, can't wait  Grin

Handsome Mr. Frog Released on Steam!
Codebread
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2015, 01:58:08 PM »

In some ways a failed Kickstarter is a sign that nobody will buy the game when it's released

I disagree with this.

It might be true in some cases, but I think for the most part a failed Kickstarter is the result of Kickstarter being SO over-saturated with projects all the time (especially when you have a solid game, which you do). It takes an immense amount of effort to get your project seen, especially when there are professional studios running projects almost constantly. I've learned over the last year or so that marketing is just as important, if not more so, than the game itself.

Just imagine the huge audience that hasn't had an opportunity to see your game at all yet! Not many people just browse Kickstarter looking to fund things, and those that do have such a small chance of seeing your project because of how many there are. Unless you get a really well known youtuber or website to cover your project, it's super tough to succeed. But that doesn't mean no one will buy the game. I mean, a lot more can happen between now and release. If you sufficiently market your game you could see a lot of sales.

There are other avenues to pursue for funding, too. You could consider a publisher, or do freelance work on the side while you develop Dad Quest.

Don't lose hope because a harsh crowdsourcing method doesn't work out!
Eric Winebrenner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2015, 06:22:20 AM »

In some ways a failed Kickstarter is a sign that nobody will buy the game when it's released

I disagree with this.

It might be true in some cases, but I think for the most part a failed Kickstarter is the result of Kickstarter being SO over-saturated with projects all the time (especially when you have a solid game, which you do). It takes an immense amount of effort to get your project seen, especially when there are professional studios running projects almost constantly. I've learned over the last year or so that marketing is just as important, if not more so, than the game itself.

Just imagine the huge audience that hasn't had an opportunity to see your game at all yet! Not many people just browse Kickstarter looking to fund things, and those that do have such a small chance of seeing your project because of how many there are. Unless you get a really well known youtuber or website to cover your project, it's super tough to succeed. But that doesn't mean no one will buy the game. I mean, a lot more can happen between now and release. If you sufficiently market your game you could see a lot of sales.

There are other avenues to pursue for funding, too. You could consider a publisher, or do freelance work on the side while you develop Dad Quest.

Don't lose hope because a harsh crowdsourcing method doesn't work out!

Good points! Kickstarter is clearly over saturated right now and there are other avenues. Keep in mind that I did say we'd only downscope if we "can't get funding from anywhere else"  Wink And downscoping isn't necessarily "losing hope", it's a valid and realistic move

Eric Winebrenner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2015, 12:44:09 PM »

Made a new menu with some nice tweens. Hopefully finishing up a demo very soon!

Eric Winebrenner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2015, 11:49:17 AM »

I added damage splashes! Now you finally how much pain you're inflicting

Eric Winebrenner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2015, 08:10:45 AM »

Playable Female Dad!

In the world of Dad Quest, the title of Dad is taken by anyone who loves their child, regardless of gender. Many of the world's strongest Dads are women, and we invite players to step into the shoes of a female Dad with a new playable character. This character is just as animated as the previous model and will be available in the full version of the game.

We're nearing the end of our Kickstarter and could use all the help we can get! Click the banner below!

BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2015, 08:54:28 AM »

We're on Kickstarter too! Good luck with the campaign. Smiley

Eric Winebrenner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2015, 06:11:11 PM »

We're on Kickstarter too! Good luck with the campaign. Smiley

Thanks! Good luck to you too Smiley

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2015, 08:26:54 AM »

Just that you guys made it!
Congrats Smiley

RyanHuggins
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2015, 10:29:06 AM »

THANK YOU! <3

chairfucker
Level 0

ultimate power

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2015, 11:16:33 AM »

Congrats!
This game is pretty dang adorable btw. I can't wait to dad-kick the shit out of some birds.

anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2015, 12:36:52 PM »

Congrats!

Turnover @ Steam
RyanHuggins
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2016, 08:37:38 AM »

I figured that we should revive this thread. I'm going to start with a CROSSPOST from our kickstarter, but will start posting in-progress development stuff here!

FROM KICKSTARTER

So, as many of you lovely backers may be aware, the original flash demo of Dad Quest (and a lot of our Kickstarter content) focused on a certain set of features and mechanics that were, at that moment, our intended vision for the experience of Dad Quest. As we briefly explored in our last post, a lot of these systems (child classes, equips, toys, the Dad Death cycle) worked really well for the short-scope of the demo that we produced for the Kickstarter, but fell apart in a number of ways as we started to actually begin implementing those systems into a larger game world.

This is, as it goes, classic game development. So after several months of spinning our wheels, building a NEW engine so we could switch to C# instead of Haxe, trying to produce what we promised and getting really REALLY depressed over how bad and uninspired it was, we decided to cut our losses, start over (in this new engine), and give it another try.

Dad Quest “2”

That was in August and since then, we’ve returned to our roots. At the beginning of Dad Quest’s development, we wanted two things. 

ONE: To create a world where throwing Children around and using them as weapons was normal and internally consistent. 

and TWO: To tell a story in this world that was funny, charming, and dumb.

We achieved goal one pretty early, but as we learned, our initial set of mechanics didn’t lend very well to telling a story--at least, not the type of story that we wanted. Great buzz-words like procedural generation, roguelike, and multiple generations of Dad got us excited and we tried to roll with it, but we’re being honest here, it just didn’t work out.

We wanted the absurdity, but we also wanted to have recurring characters too; and the narrative/gameplay mechanics associated with dying, time passing, and your Child growing up to be the new Dad was very funny, but made it difficult to create a world where we could tell our story, have the player feel a strong bond to their child, AND have it all make sense. 

SO (part two), in this update, we’re going to address the new design of Dad Quest.

Changes:

• Hand-crafted levels with planned sequences (primarily humorous, occasionally heartfelt)
  • A story where you play through the life of one Dad in the previously mechanical system of the Dad Cycle
  • One Child that you raise and level up, getting attacks and Toys (passive abilities) as they gain experience and become a more powerful weapon
  • Recurring characters
  • Damp man
  • Side quests

Here are a few images/gifs that show off some of these changes.

NPC Interaction

Child Level Up

The start of a hand-crafted sequence

Our goal is to release in early access in Q1. We decided to go with early access because we want to see what people think of the game and respond to that feedback as early as possible! We'll be looking primarily for feedback on what is the most fun for new players and then what mechanics, interactions, NPCs, etc that people want to see more of. Eventually we might even be asking for ideas for side quests and other content!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic