Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:44:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWhen The Bomb Goes Off - Updated Just for You
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: When The Bomb Goes Off - Updated Just for You  (Read 10003 times)
Zaphos
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 01:35:24 AM »

The game doesn't work correctly in firefox for me; it's weirdly broken, half the time the controls move way too slowly and sometimes their directions are reversed, and collision detection is often off.  Perhaps it's my computer being weird though, it works in IE for me.  (Could it be a flash 9 vs flash 10 thing ... ?)

More feedback and/or more time per sketch would be nice.
Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 09:09:54 AM »

Thanks for all the comments. Lots of useful stuff here.

Jumping is unresponsive at times, making parts of the game really frustrating.

Were there specific sketches (I like that term agj) where this seemed worse than others? The only thing I could think of to cause this would be a disconnect between where I drew a floor and where the actual invisible floor object is. If it happens all over the place though, there might be something else wrong.

The game doesn't work correctly in firefox for me; it's weirdly broken, half the time the controls move way too slowly and sometimes their directions are reversed, and collision detection is often off.  Perhaps it's my computer being weird though, it works in IE for me.  (Could it be a flash 9 vs flash 10 thing ... ?)

That is strange. I'm new to Flash so I have no idea what could cause something like that. Anybody know?

Quote from: Several Bums
Increasing time, wtf turtles, more feedback/audio

Ok, I'm going to stick with the 5 second limit on everything. I'm aiming for a mix of "puzzle" solving and legitimate platforming. I like the contrast between the "confusing but actually very to easy to perform" sketches(the breakup one) and the "easy to grasp but hard to perform" ones (the bird one), along with everything in between.

The five second limit makes certain sketches (the roses one) require quick reaction time and allow no room for error. I like having that there to keep the pacing of the game varied and ensure it stays grounded in platforming.

About the turtle levels, you guys are right about them not fitting in well. Most of them went in early in development, when I had a more abstract bent in mind for the game overall. Getting further into it, more and more sketches have a story behind them, and I think these are more successful. I'm going to go back to the turtle ones (and a couple others probably) and recast them with proper context.

There seems to be a pretty unanimous sentiment that more feedback is required for when you complete a task. Getting rid of the more abstract tasks should help with this, but I will also work on the HUD feedback. I was trying to keep that subtle, but I see now that it makes sense to make it more obvious. I'm going to work on this and come back with something better.

I'm going to continue to avoid sound effects. My only backing for this decision is that I like it better without them. Hopefully improving the visual feedback will nullify the need for audio feedback.

Thanks, everybody! This is some extremely helpful feedback to work with. I will take it and do my best to use it!

ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 09:50:47 AM »

Jumping is unresponsive at times, making parts of the game really frustrating.

Were there specific sketches (I like that term agj) where this seemed worse than others? The only thing I could think of to cause this would be a disconnect between where I drew a floor and where the actual invisible floor object is. If it happens all over the place though, there might be something else wrong.

I think it's more the fact that I hold down the right arrow key, and for some reason that inhibits the detection of the up arrow key sometimes? I'm not sure if it's the sketches, but it seems to happen randomly during any sketch that requires jumping. The easiest alternative (though it makes the game a bit impossible with the 5 second per sketch time limit) I've found is to avoid trying to jump when I'm still holding down a horizontal direction key.

Maybe making Spacebar or Z activate jumping might help fix the problem? I'm not terribly sure, though. The problem only started after I had been playing for a while, so it could just be Flash's cache struggling with the game and producing lag of some sort.

Currently brainstorming for a project
HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 05:47:56 PM »

Wow.  Some of the scenes gave me chills and were quite emotional to me.  I have no idea how this game affects so but it is quite brilliant for me anyway.  Great idea and I can't wait to see where it goes.  I only got 28% complete my first go through but loved every second of it.

*boom*

increpare
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 06:01:50 PM »

I quite liked that.  I thought it was seriously lacking in polish, but I liked the pacing?  And, I guess the polish-comment you can/should feel free to disregard.
Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 11:24:24 PM »

Updated this bad boy. Added some more sketches, fixed some bugs, adjusted difficulty, redid some sketches, and overall just tried to tighten things up.

Feedback here has been wonderful and useful. I hope you guys can continue to help me as I put the finishing touches on this. I'm looking for keen eyes on little things, as well as thoughts on how everything hangs together.

Demo is at the same place, here. This will likely closely resemble the finished product, I think the length and quality are pretty good right now. (But feel free to tell me otherwise!)

Dragonmaw
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 01:11:42 AM »

There's a weird bug where the collisions are overlapping and not being erased, making me unable to finish any skit after about 4 skits in.
Camdag
Pixelhead
Level 1

sauce

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 06:09:42 PM »

That was strangely beautiful.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 07:33:06 AM »

Fun little game there Smiley Kinda Warioware-esque which is not a bad thing in itself Smiley I like the humor and how it affects the game. Even if some games are nearly imposisble to complete, the touch of comedy makes it all feel good and acceptable. I like how varied the tasks are.

I would work a bit on the bomb scene to make it a bit more obvious to know if you've done what you had to or not. Although i like the nuke, perhaps adding little hearts and rainbows around the explosion when fulfilling the last task correctly could add some sort of twisted yet fitting feedback element to the game.

In all cases, I liked the game although, as I mentionned a bit earlier, some games were a bit too difficult to finish within 5 seconds.

Good job! Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic