Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 12:34:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPages from Oddball's coding sketchbook
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pages from Oddball's coding sketchbook  (Read 2278 times)
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« on: February 24, 2009, 07:00:16 PM »

I had some spare time on my hands recently so I decided to make a few game demos/prototypes. I made seven small demos over the course of nine days spending less than four hours on each. A couple of them are only clones, but considering the short dev. times I think I can be forgiven, and they may be a bit buggy as I didn't spend that much time on QA. They're all made in BlitzMax and use my own physic module. So feel free to check 'em out, C+C are welcomed. Have fun.

Pages from Oddball's Coding Sketchbook
YouTube video:

Spire of Ooze

Click for screenshot

Download: Spire of Ooze (663KB)

Resize the window to a size you like. The screen can be scrolled by holding the cursor near the top or bottom of the screen. Click to add or remove ooze. And that's it!
Check out 2D Boy's World of Goo and Tower of Goo so they don't sue me.

Line Slider

Click for screenshot

Download: Line Slider (257KB)

Line Slider is a clone of Line Rider. Draw with then left mouse button and scroll the display with the right mouse button. When you are ready press 'Play'. You can 'Pause' or 'Stop' the sim at anytime without losing your work. Use 'Clear' to delete everything. And that's about it.

Trebuchet

Click for screenshot

Download: Trebuchet (265KB)

To start the trebuchet swinging press the 'Start' button. Press it again to release the projectile. Press it a third time to reload the trebuchet.

Lunar Buggy

Click for screenshot

Download: Lunar Buggy (191KB)

Drive and fly your lunar buggy around the landscape. I recommend using an Xbox360 controller for best results, but an ordinary joypad or keys will work as well.

Controls
Move/spin left/right: Left/right arrow or left stick
Thruster: Up arrow, 1/'A' button or right trigger
Reset game: 'R' key
Exit game: 'Esc' key

F360 Challenge

Click for screenshot

Download: F360 Challenge (2.36MB)

F360 is a quick prototyping of car controls. There's no game element yet Just drive around the track. Stay off the grass as it's been raining and it's very skiddy. An Xbox360 controller is the best option for controls as it gives the best all-round analogue controls, but a standard joypad or keys will do. Enjoy!

Crosshair

Click for screenshot

Download: Crosshair (232KB)

Crosshair is a basic Robotron clone made in one day. With such a short development time the balancing my be a little off, so it may be too easy or too hard.

Barrel Drop

Click for screenshot

Download: Barrel Drop (457KB)

Barrel Drop is a turn based physics game for two players.

How to play
The object of the game is try and let as few barrels as possible fall into the fire. Players take it in turns to remove gooey blobs from the game area. After a player removes a blob if any barrels fall into the fire then his opponent is awarded a point for each. The winner is the player with the most points when no more barrels or blobs are left. The current players turn is shown at the top of the screen along with the current scores.

Tips on playing
You get all your points before you remove a blob each turn. Take your time and allow all the barrels to settle before taking your next blob.

Good stuff!

poetic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 01:02:53 PM »

Hey this is quite cool, thank you!

I wonder why nobody reacted to this, is BlitzMax not really used anymore in 2009?

Sacred Fire: Psychological RPG about revenge and loyalty
www.SacredFireGame.com | Support Sacred Fire on Indiegogo
OmniMuffin
Level 1

To the gallows I say!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 04:08:44 PM »

Spire of Ooze could use some work.
It also won't close.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 12:56:38 PM »

Hey this is quite cool, thank you!

I wonder why nobody reacted to this, is BlitzMax not really used anymore in 2009?
Thanks for trying them. I think it was a mistake for me to list them all in one go. Maybe it over-faced everyone. Next time I'll post them as I make them.

Spire of Ooze could use some work.
Hehe. I don't think that's much of a surprise considering I spent less than four hours making it.

It also won't close.
Not sure why that would be. It just uses a standard Windows window. Anyhow, just for you here's a little update.

www.gooeyblob.com/files/spireofooze.zip

OmniMuffin
Level 1

To the gallows I say!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 01:25:03 PM »

All problems I had were fixed. Although the lack of a limit to how many you can you moves kind of removes some of the fun.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic