Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411412 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 11:15:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionSalvage [FINISHED v1.1]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Salvage [FINISHED v1.1]  (Read 27439 times)
Pixelfish
Level 0

A fish load of pixels.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 25, 2009, 06:51:02 AM »

Here's the download: Salvage v1.1
Here's the download w/ XNA: Salvage v1.1
Here's the campaign editor: SalvageEditor v1.1 (post compo. update 4/16/09!)

Salvage v1.1 fixes some problems with door closing and door collisions. It also allows the users to use either CTRL key to fire instead of the left control key.

The XNA Framework is required and based on Cymon's advice I've included another download option with the framework runtime included. You'll need to install it first until I figure out who to create a good installer.

PS1.1 is required and PS2.0 is recommended for bloom effect.

No sound but I do want to thank nihilocrat for pointing me in the right direction with SFXR for any future game i make. Smiley

SalvageEditor v1.1 cleans up the editor so you can tell what color wall means what. Also added the ability to turn actors and triggers on/off for easier editing. To add a campaign to the game just throw the .SC file into the Campaigns folder. Feel free to leave comments and questions about the editor too. It was written for me (read not exactly user friendly) but I figure others can have fun with it too.

Game Tips...
See a wall like this?

You can use your plasma torch to cut through it and create your own path.

Remember that you're a salvage mech ... not a military mech. You're not built for combat so direct confrontation with anything above a cube or two will mean you might not make it. Avoid fighting the big red floating balls of death that look very similar to my favorite DooM enemy ...  Wink

Here's the original post...
The game premise: Dead Space and Wolfenstein3D has a threesome with MechWarrior.

The basic idea is you are a salvage mech sent out by your company to being stripping down and mining materials from an old earth colony station found abandoned. Of course being a game it's not actually abandoned. The population has been [to be named demise] by an evil [to be named entity]. So after you're left for dead by other jerks on your salvage team you must make your way through the station to try and find some way to escape.

You start the game with nothing but a plasma cutting/welding torch. Being a salvage mech you do not have weapon mounts so you'll have to use tools and equipment to fight and defend. Found a big-ass hammer drill? Attach it to your arm and beat the heck out of your enemy until it breaks or runs out of juice. The Tool-on-Alien action will be extreme.

This is a HUD-less mockup of the display style ... with a rather generic blob alien for effect.

While this may be just another cockpit mech game; I'm hoping unique gameplay will win out in the end. Gentleman
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 06:16:28 AM by Pixelfish » Logged

Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:22:23 AM »

There's nothing wrong in another mech cockpit game, especially when it's inspired by Eye of the Beholder! Kiss

Pixelfish
Level 0

A fish load of pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 05:43:01 PM »

Here's the WIP cockpit. Comments, Question, Suggestions? Gentleman

Fuzz
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 09:35:12 PM »

Here's the WIP cockpit. Comments, Question, Suggestions? Gentleman
Nice. It looks a bit too shiny, though.
Pixelfish
Level 0

A fish load of pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 08:05:46 PM »

Progress Update: March 3rd, 2009

I've decided to drop the Eye of the Beholder 2D style graphics and am currently going for a Wolfenstein 3D style ray casting engine.

Going good so far...

Traveller
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 01:16:46 AM »

Nice!  The textures and colors are already full of atmosphere.
Pixelfish
Level 0

A fish load of pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 03:44:39 PM »

Playing with textures and shading for spookier atmosphere...

The-Imp
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 05:13:41 PM »

Awesome job, I always liked the cave/dungeon first person games.

And was I the only one who thought Xerus when I read the title, or am I here too much?
Huh?
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 10:25:41 PM »

Or, if the are meant to be dirty, you need a darker color blurring it. If meant to be rubbed away, the smears shouldn't be so smooth.

It looks great though!
Nulldorf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 07:19:27 AM »

Screens look nice. I'm also doing raycasting for "Pressure". What language are you writing this in? I'm doing my project in love2D, just because I wanted to learn lua, but it's turned out to be a super pain in the ass. Just curious.

Anyway, our games seem a little similar, so I'm really looking forward to playing this one.
Pixelfish
Level 0

A fish load of pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 08:17:54 AM »

I'm really diggin' the faded caution stripes on the walls, but is there any way you could sharpen them a little?  They are looking a little muddy.

Or, if the are meant to be dirty, you need a darker color blurring it. If meant to be rubbed away, the smears shouldn't be so smooth.

It looks great though!

The textures I'm using right now are just some free ones I found online. They've been scaled down from 512x512 to 64x64 (in line with the original Wolf3d textures) so they are in fact blurry. I'll probably be redrawing them for better ambiance and clean up the detail a bit for this very reason.  Smiley

Screens look nice. I'm also doing raycasting for "Pressure". What language are you writing this in? I'm doing my project in love2D, just because I wanted to learn lua, but it's turned out to be a super pain in the ass. Just curious.

Anyway, our games seem a little similar, so I'm really looking forward to playing this one.

The engine is written in C# with the XNA framework. I'm a .Net developer by trade so this is all I know.  :D

Seeing pressure is actually what gave me the courage to try ray casting. I was originally just going to go for 2D eye of the beholder stuff. Can't wait to see how pressure turns out.  Beer!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 08:34:45 AM by Pixelfish » Logged

Pixelfish
Level 0

A fish load of pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 10:37:34 AM »

I got sprites working in game!  Hand Metal Left Wink

I also just threw on my dummy HUD to give an idea of how in-game will look once it's completed. Next up is physics (e.g. collision detection)!

Once physics is done I'll move onto AI and start pumping out concept art for enemies.

trabitboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 02:55:59 AM »

looks sweet : funky Captive ?  Wink

Pixelfish
Level 0

A fish load of pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 09:24:29 AM »

This is a quick running video I made to show the progress of the engine. This is my first youtube video so please bare with me if the quality blows.

The wall textures are my own, but the soldiers are sprites 'borrowed' from a Wolf3D fan site for just this demo. The end result will have all my own design.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 09:41:29 AM »

Get rid of one letter in this game's title and you have a winner.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 10:01:41 AM »

'Salvage Meh Game'?

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Fuzz
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 10:54:16 AM »

'Salvage Meh Game'?
...savage?
godsavant
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 05:09:33 PM »

Fuzz
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 05:19:51 PM »

What is that? And why is it so awesome?

EDIT: http://www.webstercolcord.com/ Holy shit. Wow.
godsavant
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 06:35:23 PM »

What went wrong with this thread?  Cry

It just got more manly.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic