Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412073 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58484 Members - Latest Member: bigdog243

June 25, 2024, 11:38:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)3D thread
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 192
Print
Author Topic: 3D thread  (Read 944214 times)
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1460 on: May 03, 2012, 02:12:40 AM »

median filter.
Looks awesome, but you should consider finding a way to keep it from actually taking out details like the rigging where I assume it went 1px wide -> removed by median. Maybe fade the median by 50% over the final image. I like how it deals with the moire interference at distance though, and I agree that it looks very epic.

Any info on how gameplay's going to work out? Ships sail around prettily?

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1461 on: May 03, 2012, 12:36:24 PM »

Thanks!

The game is going to be some kind of sailing simulator. Hauling on braces and brailing the spanker will certainly be involved, blowing up Frenchman probably.

At the moment the filter is done by a paint program, not in the game. I was pondering drawing the rigging (and other details) after doing the median filter, painter style. I should mention that the way it is drawn now, once it gets thinner than maybe a pixel and a half, I keep it at that width and just reduce the opacity (otherwise it would look like a real mess).

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1462 on: May 03, 2012, 07:31:53 PM »

I should mention that the way it is drawn now, once it gets thinner than maybe a pixel and a half, I keep it at that width and just reduce the opacity (otherwise it would look like a real mess).
Yeah seems like you'd get the usual moire issues if you weren't doing something like this for far away ships, so that's definitely a good thing. Wish I could find a simple way to do this without resorting to geometry rather than alpha planes for really low poly stuff.

Could be a good idea to get the game part of the game in before spending too much time on the art fwiw - seen a lot of these ships zooming about but afaik nothing playable. I guess you must not be sick of working on the art side of things or you would have stopped, but putting something down for a while before coming back to it is rarely a bad thing.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1463 on: May 03, 2012, 09:56:47 PM »

Hurrah for friends.

The back of the knight looks kind of blank below his waist, so I guess I still have some stuff to do with him.

@John Sandoval - I've never played Xenogears before. Is it good?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:12:23 PM by SolarLune » Logged

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1464 on: May 03, 2012, 10:10:54 PM »

Hot damn that's cool. Knight could maybe use a cape of some sort for team colour/flashiness/whatever. Really like the visor on it.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1465 on: May 03, 2012, 11:34:43 PM »

Could be a good idea to get the game part of the game in before spending too much time on the art fwiw - seen a lot of these ships zooming about but afaik nothing playable. I guess you must not be sick of working on the art side of things or you would have stopped, but putting something down for a while before coming back to it is rarely a bad thing.

I have a prototype with the sailing, and basic commands, more or less working. And the 3d model of the ship in the screenshot is built up out of physics components, which will be part of the damage model, like so:

The next thing I plan to work on is a system for giving and executing orders, with some shader stuff as a side project for when I'm bored with that.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1466 on: May 04, 2012, 12:08:44 AM »

That explains the rigging rigging. Kickass.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1467 on: May 04, 2012, 01:46:24 AM »

@Geti - Thanks a lot.

I modeled another knight that has a cape. Aaaand I'm off to sleep.

EDIT: Just now saw that the first pic's kinda useless since his fist is in the way. Oh, well.

EDIT 2: That leg segmentation looks pretty bad in the first pic. I've gotta figure out a way to minimize that.

invaderace
Level 0

blood blob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1468 on: May 05, 2012, 07:29:57 PM »

some knives, mysterious doll, hand gesture and a little environment work in progress. i've been Doing Things and in the future you may experience these things!

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1469 on: May 05, 2012, 09:30:41 PM »

EDIT 2: That leg segmentation looks pretty bad in the first pic. I've gotta figure out a way to minimize that.
Been fighting this too. I'm in the middle of writing a report at the moment and dont want to procrastinate too much, but the simplest way to get around that for single-direction joints like a knee is to put the bones along the front of the leg -> when you bend them then bend at the front of the knee rather than in the centre of it causing the crazy segmentation.
Requires that one of your leg sections is wider than the other at the joint though or you get all sorts of Z fighting.
some knives, mysterious doll, hand gesture and a little environment work in progress. i've been Doing Things and in the future you may experience these things!
Cool, though the bent knife looks like it'd be mostly useless and the hand is pretty pointy. Should consider lighting the top of the pillar more brightly, the surfaces don't read so well. What're you rendering with?

invaderace
Level 0

blood blob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1470 on: May 05, 2012, 11:08:18 PM »

Cool, though the bent knife looks like it'd be mostly useless and the hand is pretty pointy. Should consider lighting the top of the pillar more brightly, the surfaces don't read so well. What're you rendering with?

the bent knife is actually a kris, which is a kind of Indonesian (among other cultures) dagger that has been appropriated over the years into the general role of "squiggly wizard knife." the hand is pointy because it's a claw though, which i probably should have noted! there's definitely some more texture work to be done on that environment since there are a lot of things that aren't quite right about it. i'm just rendering with whatever is built into Blender right now though, which seems to mostly do alright.
keo
« Reply #1471 on: May 05, 2012, 11:16:03 PM »

fuck I really love these
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: May 06, 2012, 01:15:34 AM »

Oh yeah, that's the stuff. Makes me want to learn to model low-poly stuff (beyond some entry-level Blender tutorials).
ink.inc
« Reply #1473 on: May 06, 2012, 01:21:07 AM »

make a xenogears
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1474 on: May 07, 2012, 02:16:11 AM »

I made a bird-girl to go along side a fox-boy i made earlier, now i'm wanting to make a third character, but I cant decide on another animal theme, I'm thinking maybe a bear  Panda

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1475 on: May 07, 2012, 06:39:50 AM »

Great texturing! I think that her arms are a bit too short, though - I believe that they should go to her mid-thigh. Otherwise, it looks pretty great!

ink.inc
« Reply #1476 on: May 07, 2012, 09:43:39 AM »

the angle of her jaw is too steep; neck is too long as well, and arms look stumpy

fix those and this could be very pretty
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1477 on: May 07, 2012, 03:48:40 PM »

yeah, you're totally right about the arms, thanks for seeing that

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1478 on: May 07, 2012, 06:09:54 PM »

I started on that third character, I didn't go with a bear theme, I remebered how cool i thought antlers look on LBP's Sackboy so I went with an Elk theme for this one.

He'll be coloured a dark-pinkyish-red to fit between the existing orange and purple characters

Delko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1479 on: May 07, 2012, 07:34:29 PM »

Got my first 3D print made. Its a prototype of a figure I hope to get produced with some kick starter help.

The cartridge fits into the slot on his back.

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 192
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic