Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:00:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)3D thread
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 192
Print
Author Topic: 3D thread  (Read 937104 times)
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: February 17, 2013, 10:51:34 AM »

Just trying out shading in Unity for a prototype.

I like it  Smiley
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: February 17, 2013, 11:29:08 AM »

Decided to try out some modular pieces for a dungeon.
The broken/rough pillar bits don't work as well as I'd like, because it doesn't quite make sense why there's larger rough rocks inside the brick wall unless it's all hewn from the inside of a mountain or something, but they're actually able to be used as rock piles in corners as well - a dedicated mesh would probably be a good idea for having it in-production though, for the sake of simple editing.
More of a technical exercise than anything.

I like the look of assets like this rendered at low res and then scaled up for some reason, maybe because it lets me fake detail.
Teleglitch used it to great effect recently.

All super low poly with some pixel level work done on the texture. Could drop top and bottom and internal faces to optimise, probably at runtime without much hassle. It's not really built with dynamic terrain in mind.

Might do more modular stuff like this soon, it's interesting, like trying to make good pieces for a fun puzzle.

But that would mean that I would have to manually cut all ngons into triangles? That sounds like quite a hassle. But I did manage to fix up the eye there Smiley
Select all, ctrl+t, alt+j. It'll turn everything into tris, then find the "best" configuration of tris and quads it can.
Having it properly triangulated can be important for animation (if export just happens to export one of your quads the "wrong" way, you can get some janky animation in engine).

@Dr Electro: Consider having a coloured ramp rather than full greyscale on that stone. I think colder greenish darks in particular would look good.

I think it looks fine, already looks very atmospheric!

And thanks for all the help guys  Beer!

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2142 on: February 17, 2013, 02:28:26 PM »

@Moosh, looking pretty good, would help to see wires and texture to give criticism if you're after it. Makes me miss my old tapes. Texture could use some seams to show how the case was put together.

I think it looks fine, already looks very atmospheric!
NEAT
That looks badass!
You guys are too kind Coffee

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: February 17, 2013, 05:17:58 PM »

Geti,

looks ok. Though it looks really strange how the modeling doesn't like up that well with the texturing. It will look far better if you can get them both lining up properly.

Mooosh! good first attempt. I think some of the dimensions are a bit off but keep making stuff. you'll get it.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2144 on: February 17, 2013, 07:38:16 PM »

looks ok. Though it looks really strange how the modeling doesn't like up that well with the texturing. It will look far better if you can get them both lining up properly.
Not sure what you mean there.

I could add more polys to make all of the rocks individually stick out - it was actually painted onto an AO bake from a high poly sculpt so that would be reasonably trivial - but I wanted to keep the polycount super low and let the texture do the talking, as it's not likely to be viewed too close. I'll keep in mind that you don't think the silhouette is as good as it could have been though, I'm working to improve here. I guess shading the inside of the curve more likely would help there, no?

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: February 17, 2013, 08:14:02 PM »

How do you get that pixely effect Geti? Are you using Unity or a custom engine?

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2146 on: February 17, 2013, 08:30:08 PM »

How do you get that pixely effect Geti? Are you using Unity or a custom engine?
Are those the only 2 options? Smiley These are just blender OpenGL renders, not in engine yet. However, I've used a low res FBO for render and then blit that onto a high res FBO before, which is one of the (many) techniques that make it possible, some others are discussed here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7071090/low-resolution-in-opengl-to-mimic-older-games (a nice simple one is rendering that FBO to a quad on the high res screen, which can give nice control over the screen for rotating, warping and shaking it if you're into that sort of thing)

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: February 17, 2013, 08:41:28 PM »

Bit more like this man,

Though i would opt more for what i did on the right,where the rubble conforms to the brick pattern.

Also you have the opportunity to put some blending stuff at the bottom of the pillar.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2148 on: February 17, 2013, 08:55:20 PM »

Cheers for the crit and quick mock,
I did mention the stone not conforming very well to the bricks in my post, but yeah I've got to work more on making the materials make sense. Not sure I'm feeling the super harsh white of your edit but I can see how those wires might come out cleaner, they just look very uniform.. I'll keep it in mind though, I appreciate the edit.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: February 18, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »

Working on props. The story would be set somewhere like late 40s early 50s, sort of noir gangster point and click. This is probably going to evolve into nothing but whatever.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2150 on: February 18, 2013, 01:27:24 PM »

I actually sighed and kinda melted in my chair when I saw this. Lovely, I wanna run around in it!

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2151 on: February 18, 2013, 02:49:35 PM »

Working on props. The story would be set somewhere like late 40s early 50s, sort of noir gangster point and click. This is probably going to evolve into nothing but whatever.
Could use a little more detail on the gun to match the other props. It's all kinda... "nothing" at the moment, not quite sure what you're going for; seeing how you're thinking of the characters might help, as would having some detail in the environment.
 Shrug Hope to see it develop a little more, maybe it's just not my cup of tea though.

I actually sighed and kinda melted in my chair when I saw this. Lovely, I wanna run around in it!
Cheers Ishi; I'll likely be tinkering with more 3d stuff over the weekends to come, depending on how hungover I am, got a 21st this weekend. I'll certainly be pursuing that look and seeing what I can get out of it - if displayed from a zoomed out overhead view the texel:pixel ratio is excellent even for such lo-fi assets, and all this cheap fake detail comes out as the camera moves. Could be my cheap trick equivalent to brown and bloom Wink

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: February 18, 2013, 02:59:02 PM »

Yeah its really nothing right now. Also that gun is not done yet. The props will be rather small in the game so not too much detail will be put into them. The game will be 2.5D-ish. Im going to start sketching some scenes soon.

xrg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2153 on: February 18, 2013, 06:44:43 PM »

Here is an old character animation of mine. I see a lot of issues with it now, but I still get a kick out of seeing my characters come alive.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2154 on: February 18, 2013, 08:26:37 PM »

Here is an old character animation of mine. I see a lot of issues with it now, but I still get a kick out of seeing my characters come alive.

That is so awesome, I love it.

Lately I've been inspired to take a break from making full games and just start selling individual assets that people might like.

So I just uploaded this SMG to turbosquid, I hope to add more stuff like this soon, uploading all the images on my internet takes too long
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/725100

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2155 on: February 18, 2013, 09:16:43 PM »

Indeed, that's excellent animation, and a cool idea for a character. Great work.

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: February 18, 2013, 09:25:26 PM »

I love this, wish I knew how to use Unity so I could make stuff like this.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2157 on: February 18, 2013, 10:12:56 PM »

I love this, wish I knew how to use Unity so I could make stuff like this.
Go learn, unity is a piece of piss (easy).

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2158 on: February 19, 2013, 05:07:16 AM »

oh boy, I love these!

powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2159 on: February 19, 2013, 05:44:48 AM »

Here is an old character animation of mine. ...

His helmet seems to have fewer or as many polys as his hand :/
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 192
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic