Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:34:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)3D thread
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 192
Print
Author Topic: 3D thread  (Read 937441 times)
powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2960 on: August 14, 2014, 08:49:17 PM »

There is something somewhat unsettling about that :U
Muffinhat
Level 0

COVERED IN BEES HELP

View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: August 14, 2014, 09:32:49 PM »

Low poly island?

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: August 14, 2014, 09:35:02 PM »

I like that island.

Are the eyes unsettling because I forgot to put the shadow in? Here's an older image with it:
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2963 on: August 14, 2014, 10:49:22 PM »

I honestly don't really get why you're not going more for something like this - you don't need an outline or anything but having white eyeballs really helps with reading the eyes and gets a bit more contrast into the face.

I get that they're anime eyes but eyes in anime usually have whites when they're coloured - your call but take this into consideration :^)

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: August 14, 2014, 11:47:05 PM »

Creepy as heck without the whites. Who, Me?

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2965 on: August 15, 2014, 02:53:16 AM »

I feel like it's easier to get away with not drawing in the whites the more stylized the coloring is. in black+white especially, it doesn't mean much if there's no lines to define the white of an eye. In monochrome, too, it doesn't matter much because the mind fills in the blanks.

Also in some colored mediums it can be ok to omit the eye whites, when the coloring is very flat most elements of a picture have only one color - there's a logic that shirt = red, face = white and there are no colored details in this.

What we've got here is completely strange though. There is no inherent hierarchy of detail. The details of the eye are only to define abstract decorations you wouldn't find in a proper eye - for example the juxtaposition eye white vs. dark iris and pupil is not there, which does not communicate an eye clearly, instead there is much detail and coloring put inside the iris, which serves as a canvas for abstract art.

The take-away is that everything inside the iris is the focus of the eye, and it communicates something strange and alien, that there seems to be something written or painted in the part of the eye that we're most used to being the part of the eye that points toward things.

I don't have a problem with it, really. There's something romantic about people who relentlessly defend small idiosyncratic aspects of their work.

Though I absolutely do find it strange!
Azure Lazuline
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2966 on: August 15, 2014, 07:41:07 AM »

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: August 15, 2014, 08:33:24 AM »

I believe mc mutton eye would works better if the base of eyelash was a bit thicker to match the weigth of the detail eyes. This ratio can be seen in manga or animation using similar trick

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: August 15, 2014, 08:57:43 AM »

! Nitpick artists based on arbitrary stylistic opinions thread !

I'm considering seriously revamping my 3d portfolio

Colon Semicolon
Level 2

GREAT WARLORD ATLUS SAN

View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: August 17, 2014, 12:03:04 PM »

All vital pieces are in place. going to go ahead and retopo and UV the model so I can hand it over to the person who'll rig things up. after that work on major accessories and anything extra will be done.

DINGLING DONGLE DORKS AGAIN ARE WE?
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2970 on: August 18, 2014, 11:59:52 PM »

Something super low-poly I'm working on for an SNES-like week-long BGE challenge over at Blenderartists.org. Too 3D and crisp for SNES, but whatevs.

RidiculousJohn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: August 19, 2014, 10:44:57 AM »

Something super low-poly I'm working on for an SNES-like week-long BGE challenge over at Blenderartists.org. Too 3D and crisp for SNES, but whatevs.
Its snes doable if you remove all textures. Though I am not sure you want that.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: August 19, 2014, 11:04:46 AM »

how much the super fx chip could pump?

edit:
I know it's a RISC based pixel plotter rather than a gpu as we know it today, and the 3D engine was to be made "software" using those function. But even though what are we looking for performance as close to real world as possible? How many hundred tris/pixel?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:13:17 AM by Gimym JIMBERT » Logged

poe
« Reply #2973 on: August 19, 2014, 12:04:14 PM »

Looks a lot like some early N64 games to me.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2974 on: August 19, 2014, 02:38:06 PM »

Yeah, it's just low-poly at this point, but I'm not gonna take out the textures. Most SNES games that had 3D didn't have an open third-person, "true 3D" perspective anyway, and not in crowded hallways and rooms, so I'm just gonna go with it the way it is.

@Gimmy - The contest limits were to use 250 triangles max, so that's what I'm trying to stick behind. Otherwise, though, I don't know how many triangles the SNES could handle drawing at an effective speed.

EDIT: Maybe I could use a button to enable a texture-less mode or something. Shocked

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2975 on: August 19, 2014, 05:20:20 PM »

To be fair, a textured floor could be possibly handled by the SNES (as a mode-7 floor). It should be rendered under every polygon though, which makes it near impossible to render stuff under its height (

does something similar and adds polygons next to the rivers to work around it).

As for polygon count, at 250 polygons the SFX chip probably struggles horribly. Remember Star Fox's framerate =P
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: August 19, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »

But I also remember mode 7 is rarely used with 3D graphics on snes!
instead they use a background (generally a gradient) for the ground with dot or object to suggest movement. The most advance game they made visually was stunt race FX IMO, we can count polygon on it? it has massive clipping

pixel-boy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2977 on: August 19, 2014, 06:08:45 PM »

One first low poly test on blender, it's really hard but I'm happy with my workflow improvement

RidiculousJohn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: August 19, 2014, 09:29:36 PM »

One first low poly test on blender, it's really hard but I'm happy with my workflow improvement
I am a sucker for this stuff. I need to try my hand at super low poly.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2979 on: August 20, 2014, 02:32:37 AM »

As for polygon count, at 250 polygons the SFX chip probably struggles horribly. Remember Star Fox's framerate =P
fwiw this depends a lot on the software rasteriser you use and if you actually use triangles/polys for everything or not, as well as the size of the polygons rendered. I doubt anyone's gonna put too much work into trying to write something for benchmarking on a dead system but I think 250 moderately sized polys at 20fps (or a similar BSP level with good occlusion) isn't outrageously ambitious.

Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 192
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic