Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:10:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)3D thread
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 192
Print
Author Topic: 3D thread  (Read 931716 times)
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3620 on: September 05, 2016, 07:17:10 AM »

Experimenting with some tech styles

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: September 10, 2016, 09:54:53 AM »

So many character models... Not my forte. Impressive! Love the the little pixly car too. e:

I've been writing a fur shader in Unity, and made a post recently about bothersome shadows. Recently I learned how rim lighting works, so today I added that to the fur shader, and it really helped with some of the shadow issues as well as made it look nicer in general either way!

zombieonion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: September 13, 2016, 01:48:25 PM »

Fixed my hosting problem I think. here are some older things

I want to know more about this.
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: September 20, 2016, 11:01:45 PM »

Playing with particles, lighting, and shadows in Unity with a Dark Souls bonfire.

That light flicker was a bit of a pain. Anyone have tips on doing it better?

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: September 21, 2016, 12:28:58 AM »

Well, that kind of stuff doesn't get picked up well at all by GIF recorders, so it's really difficult to know how it really looks based on this. Here, it doesn't really look like it's flickering, but more like the light is growing and shrinking.

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: September 21, 2016, 08:26:46 AM »

Well, that kind of stuff doesn't get picked up well at all by GIF recorders, so it's really difficult to know how it really looks based on this. Here, it doesn't really look like it's flickering, but more like the light is growing and shrinking.

It's a bit of both technically. It cycles light intensity but also changes the height of the light to get the shadows to lengthen and shorten a bit.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: September 21, 2016, 11:23:58 AM »

How does fire even look? What's causes the sense of flickering?

Is it that open flames aren't constant in position and that they are created and disappear all the time? Do embers flicker?

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: September 21, 2016, 06:25:32 PM »

That's what I've been trying to replicate, but I see your point. The DS bonfire is very calm for a flame so a huge flicker isn't technically accurate, but I still wanted a bit of flicker for a calming campfire feel.

Art isn't really my element so I appreciate the tips  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: September 21, 2016, 10:34:55 PM »

but I see your point

I have no point! I am completely clueless, just curious about it! My questions were honest ones, nothing rhetorical about them. Grin

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: September 21, 2016, 11:27:02 PM »

I have no point! I am completely clueless, just curious about it! My questions were honest ones, nothing rhetorical about them. Grin

Hah, no worries then. I tweaked the ambient lighting/skybox to pure black, makes it seem so much more warm...
Though against pure black the flicker stands out a lot more.

Anyone else have experience with fire? Both particle effects artists and firebenders welcome.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3630 on: September 22, 2016, 08:01:07 AM »

It feels a bit slow.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: September 22, 2016, 08:10:04 AM »

there probably should be fire, smoke and sparks and all of them should have different speed.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: September 22, 2016, 08:35:48 AM »

I think the expression that "flames dance" hits on something important. It's not blobs moving upwards, it's more like fragmented standing pillars that are freaking out at very high speeds.

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: September 22, 2016, 10:55:13 PM »

Good tips, guys, thanks a ton.

Looking for references a while ago for low poly fire I had found this. It has all the speed and energy you'd expect from a flame.

Interesting enough though the Dark Souls flame is slow and calm. It just sorta slowly reaches upwards.

I'll work on making it less blob-y and more reach-y. And I'll play with speed a bit as well.

powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3634 on: September 22, 2016, 11:31:14 PM »

The movement (I believe) is mostly due to the underlying air flow which is affected mostly by the heat of the flame particles and ambient air flow (i.e. wind). The heat causes the flame to rise and the ambient air flow causes the flickering -- a large enough fire heats the surroundings enough to cause complex air flow around it on its own (hence the difference between a candle and the fire in an oven.) Probably most particularly the rising flame leaves an area with lower pressure which is most eagerly filled by the next batch of flame particles; this is the reason for the reaching pillars instead of rising blobs.

... just based on my intuition, should probably run some simulations to know for sure. This might be of no use when just phenomenologically mimicking the appearance but who knows!
Götz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3635 on: September 25, 2016, 11:00:38 PM »

last week I started working on a new character

and now I'm struggling with wich sneakers should I model...

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: September 29, 2016, 08:27:00 AM »

I made a cartoon sheep head for fun. I had an idea for a pixar style coming-of-age adventure game but it's another one for the "won't be made anytime soon" pile.

AnaGuillenFdez
Level 0

Artist, interested in design too

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3637 on: October 13, 2016, 06:56:22 AM »

These are two screenshots of characters rendered with Sketchfab (I was uploading them to ArtStation). They are Lloyd, the barman of Afterglow's train, and Lunchy, a little pig. They are still in progress, we have to polish animations and textures, but it would be nice if you shared some feedback.

Afterglow 20.51: emotional synchronization on a paper train
@FdezGuillen - @NuggetTeamDev
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: November 10, 2016, 04:52:13 PM »

Applefat that is some nice hard surface modeling, but what I like the most is the environment! That is one swanky pad Wink

Working on environment visualization for my game. It's likely a lot of this will change but this is a kind of gateway world that unlocks the end game sequence once you have the required items put in place here, one for each of the (known) senses.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: November 15, 2016, 09:40:22 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 192
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic