Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

 
Advanced search

1368118 Posts in 64198 Topics- by 56135 Members - Latest Member: Zeroneus

October 21, 2019, 06:18:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGravity box
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Gravity box  (Read 3483 times)
Pix n chips
Level 0
***


View Profile
« on: August 07, 2015, 10:51:48 AM »


Gravity box is a videogame set in a videogame (meta videogame?) made by the devil to keep trapped the handsome johnny.
Our brave 3 heroes, also handsome johnny's friends, got into the videogame willing to do anything to rescue their beloved friend; but specially with one purpose: kick the devil's [email protected]#$%^&* (and also rescue their friend).






Game play


Gravity box is an action plataformer in which you must throw a box into the vortex in the middle of the room to end the level. To do so, you must build a tower made of boxes, high enough to reach the vortex.




But, did you think it was going to be easy, didn't you? The vortex is protected by a monster-generator machine that will be throwing hordes of monster at you to destroy your tower and to kill any hope you may have to save your attractive friend.


But you have something unyielding on your side, almost as powerful as the gravity force... It is in fact the gravity. Since all the levels in the game will be square-shaped, you will be able to change the gravity direction to any of the four sides of the square.


Also you can switch between characters. Before the room starts, you can choose four characters each one with a different weapon and stats. Once you're playing you will control one of the four characters you have choosen and if you get the "swap characters item" you will change your character for one of the other four characters. Each time one characters die is replaced for one of the other you chose, if you lose all your character you lose. Additionally, you can play with up to four players, each with one character; same rules, with the exception that you don't have any more lives and do not have more characters to change to.

OK to sum it up: You must reach the center of the room with a box in order to win, you can do it by building a tower, you can change the gravity if you want and if all you characters die you lose. Easy as pie, isn't it?

Now some gifs:









Some sprites







Currently working.....

What we are doing right now is developing items to improve the build-tower part and balancing the game basis, so we can move on and develop new levels.


We'll try to update frequently.  Wink

I hope you have found the game interesting, and we are looking forward to your comments, questions and suggestions.

!Thanks for checking out our game and thanks for your time!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:19:21 AM by brunoxzx » Logged

samazure
Level 0
*



View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 10:58:27 AM »

Looks cool and it has a pretty art style. Keep up the good work then.  Toast Left  Cave Story
Logged
nkm
Level 1
*


Ludere ergo sum


View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 11:04:44 AM »

Wow very cool!!

How did you come up with this??  Cool
Logged

Pix n chips
Level 0
***


View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 11:24:06 PM »

Looks cool and it has a pretty art style. Keep up the good work then.  Toast Left  Cave Story

Thanks man. It took us some time to figure out the proper art style.

Wow very cool!!

How did you come up with this??  Cool

!Thanks! to make the long story short, It all started with a game with gravity changes, but it didn't work so well, so we changed it. And little by little it ended up like what you see now.
Logged

nkm
Level 1
*


Ludere ergo sum


View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 01:26:14 AM »

When are you planning to release it?
Logged

jctwood
Level 10
*****



View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 03:17:05 AM »

That melting King is just ludicrous and wonderful! This whole game seems brilliant. Really looking forward to seeing more!
Logged

nikurizo
Level 0
*


View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 01:20:31 PM »

When are you planning to release it?
No idea, but I guess first quarter of 2016, 6 months at least or so I guess...

That melting King is just ludicrous and wonderful! This whole game seems brilliant. Really looking forward to seeing more!
Thanks man, is good to know someone is interested... I know, the king is just amazing! I'll see if I can upload another gif of it one of these days...

Hey hello, I'm the programmer of the game.

Well I was supposed to upload a devlog today xP, but a team member found THIS BUG

(as you can see that's not the kind of bug that you can just leave there, so I had to work on it)

that bug almost made me take my katana to kill my self to at least somehow die with honor...

well I would've liked to have taken gisfs while coding and solving the bug, but is enough to say that I wasted all (yes ALL) the (my) night changing and testing all the possibilities of how the player picks and moves other objects ...


A brief explanation: Picking objects is in fact simple, once having the ID of the box in front of you, just disable gravity of it, and at the end of every update of the player object move the box coordinates to the ones over the player's head and then update the box object...
but that wasn't enough, the box that's over your head can still move a little when other object pushes it, and that can't be seen cause it's moved back instantly (before drawing) and that causes the problem of the first gif.

I saw this and decided to do put a really big mass to the object in your hands, to make it kind of unamovable, and that worked for the sides at least, but other players started to do little jumps and shakes when they were over the box in your hands.......
after many hours of problems, the solution was creating other invisible dummy box over your head, just behind the picked box and with the same size, but this one is part of your player collision system, not external, also I had to update the box position after and BERFORE the player update, wich is a pain in the neck, and that just worked smoothly, untill....

Someone decided to take a magnet box..... and then the hardcore extrange part started, I never knew what caused that movement, I changed a lot of things and now I think (and hope) is solved.


As extra, I've added the winning animations...


Any suggestion is appreciated (:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 01:29:46 PM by nikurizo » Logged
Pix n chips
Level 0
***


View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 12:36:09 AM »

We have been quite bussy the last month, so we haven't been able to work on the game like we would like to. Anyway, we've done some advances in the menus and some characters.

Before you start any level you must choose with which characters you'll play and with which boxes you will use.


The general concept is to have lots of characters to choose from, and also to make it look like a fighting game.



Something I didn't explain earlier was the fact that before each level you'll have to choose 3 boxes that will be created acoording to the percentage you select for each one. Let me explain a bit further, you have the box creator machine that drops boxes everytime you take one, well, this machine in each level will be able to create 3 different boxes each one with a different percentage of appearance. So for example if I know that the level has very  powerful enemies I will chose as my first box(the 50% of possibilities of appareance) a box with a lot of hp but very heavy, now, if the level is very big I will need bigger boxes so as my second box(30%) I  will take a expandable box and I may like to have a very light box so I can build faster so for the third box(20%) I´ll take a wooden box. Well so each time the box creator machine makes a box there will be a 50% of chances to make the heavy box a 30% expandable box and a 20% wooden box.

The general idea here is to give a more strategic focus to the game.

Well this is just a small actuallization about what we've been working on lately. We'll make a bigger actualization soon Well, hello there!




« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 10:16:43 AM by brunoxzx » Logged

yaomon17
Level 1
*


https://twitter.com/YaomonKS


View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 03:16:28 PM »

The variety of characters is great! I love the strategy behind picking the types of boxes, I'm definitely a more thinking type of guy than a mechanical type :O
Logged

Pix n chips
Level 0
***


View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 10:33:30 AM »

The variety of characters is great! I love the strategy behind picking the types of boxes, I'm definitely a more thinking type of guy than a mechanical type :O

And the idea is to have at least 20 or 30 characters to chose from, so thanks, we're working hard on making them very different from each other. Also the strategy part is just for people like you, and also to give the player more control over what happens inside the level. We also are developinng lots of types of boxes so de players have a lot of possibilities to chose from.
Logged

jusk
Level 0
**



View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 02:26:55 PM »

This looks great! I love the mechanics and the surreal concept in general - seems like it should be a pretty hectic game to play (in a good way).

Poor Handsome Johnny!
Logged

Pix n chips
Level 0
***


View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 09:20:21 AM »

This looks great! I love the mechanics and the surreal concept in general - seems like it should be a pretty hectic game to play (in a good way).

Poor Handsome Johnny!

!You said it fella! It is a frenetic game. Thanks for the comment, are working hard on making it.


Ok, now some improvements that we've done lately.
I don't know if I mention this before, but the game is gonna be divided in zones, lots of zones, each one with its own little ecosystems(Animals, enemies, even items, and some mechanics) and also in each of these zones one of your four characters its gonna be the zone-character, so you A) are going to try most of the characters  and B)These zone-characters may have some advantages in their respectives zones.

Here are some tiles and faces of the Native american zone(the faces are from the zone character)

Also here is the zone enemy attacking

Well that are some of our advances; looking forward suggestions and comments.
Thanks for checking.




Logged

Pix n chips
Level 0
***


View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 07:54:35 AM »

It's been a while since out last post. We've been very busy lately and our programmer has not being able to do some stuff we want to do, and because of that I can not show some in-game gifs. But at least I can show you some sprites we've done lately.

Btw yes the first one is the sexy johnny

We are looking forward suggestions and comments.
Thanks for checking.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 08:28:59 AM by brunoxzx » Logged

El-Metallico
Level 3
***



View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »

Art and animations are stunning, especially that skull guy, and gameplay looks hardcore judging by gif. Really cool. Subscribed.
Logged

Game music composer and pixelartist.
Music Portfolio 
Pixelart Portfolio 
Twitter
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10
*****



View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 04:06:37 AM »

This is looking great, those animations have so much style and character to them. Also nice to see handsome johnny finally revealed.

Like how much thought you've put into the whole box mechanic and the strategy element you've included with the percentages, a clever addition. Gameplay is also looking hectic which is a good thing. Have you figured out what all the zone themes will be yet?
Logged

Pix n chips
Level 0
***


View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 07:20:38 PM »


Art and animations are stunning, especially that skull guy, and gameplay looks hardcore judging by gif. Really cool. Subscribed.
[/img]

Thanks, and yeah, those bigger enemies require smother animations.

This is looking great, those animations have so much style and character to them. Also nice to see handsome johnny finally revealed.

Like how much thought you've put into the whole box mechanic and the strategy element you've included with the percentages, a clever addition. Gameplay is also looking hectic which is a good thing. Have you figured out what all the zone themes will be yet?

!Thanks! We are really trying to give the game some depth in the gameplay sense. The general concept of the map is that the map is  box shape(I bet you didn't expect this) and the path is like a spiral so the further you go, the closer to the center you are; Well the idea is that the centre of the game is gonna be the hell. So we have a hell section, but also the concept is that are gonna be five zones each one with three themes which gives us a total of 15 themes in total. We have kinda figured out some but at this moment we just have this zones done: Farms, native americans, desert(Cowboys), jungle, the underworld with mole people, the industrial. The idea is to give a nintendo feel in the sense that each zones it's gonna have unique theme zone mechanics, and that we are gonna bump them once you've passed the theme.

Well I promise some new gifs soon, but for now I just have this concept of the stores

[img]
Logged

Pix n chips
Level 0
***


View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 07:26:20 AM »

We are trying to figure out a map for the game this is the one that we have liked the most. What do you think guys?

Logged

Pineapple
Level 10
*****


~♪


View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 07:48:06 AM »

We are trying to figure out a map for the game this is the one that we have liked the most. What do you think guys?

I think that looks fantastic
Logged
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10
*****



View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 05:30:08 PM »

We are trying to figure out a map for the game this is the one that we have liked the most. What do you think guys?

I think that looks fantastic

I agree. Think that looks great.
Logged

Pix n chips
Level 0
***


View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2015, 05:49:05 PM »


We are trying to figure out a map for the game this is the one that we have liked the most. What do you think guys?

I think that looks fantastic

I agree. Think that looks great.


Thanks for that guys. Here we had some discussion about how the should it be, so it's great to know that you liked it.
Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic