Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:24:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallDiatribe, a personal opinion on video game design!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Diatribe, a personal opinion on video game design!  (Read 1128 times)
Pampattitude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 10, 2015, 06:30:31 AM »

Hey guys!

I started working on a blog series a month ago called Diatribe. The main focus point is game design and design flaws in video games. You can check the whole series here, but I strongly suggest you start with the first post.
-> Warning, this series contains strong language! <-

I'd love to have your opinion on the series. It's pretty new, but I already love writing stuff about game design. I'm definitely not an expert, but I think everybody has an opinion on games we play and I wanted to share mine.
I would also really like C&C 'cause I want to get better! I'm not a native English speaker (I'm from France), so any feedback can help!

Anyway, I hope you like it! If you do, well, there's a new entry coming out tomorrow so stay tuned!

P.S.: Does anybody do that too, here? I would love to see what you guys have in stock if you do, it's always a good thing to share and compare ;]
P.P.S.: I'm sorry if this seems like self promotion. I mean, it kinda is, but I also want feedback, so it's not just to increase my stats or whatever.

[EDIT]: Damn, I'm not good at writing stuff. I advised you read the first article because it describes where the series came from. Always nice to have a back-story.
Pampattitude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 08:09:24 AM »

Sorry for double posting but BAM! third episode is up!

I'm really open and ready for C&C. I've already been told "it'd" instead of "it would" is bad, but I would love to get better at writing! Thanks guys Smiley

Also, I am actually following a two-weeks padd between articles schedule. What do you think of that? If you were to follow a blog series, what rate would you like articles to come out at?
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 09:22:41 AM »

Love all of it! Where can I subscribe by email to these?

Pampattitude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 09:30:40 AM »

Love all of it! Where can I subscribe by email to these?
Thanks for the kind words!

I actually have no e-mail option, but I'll look into it! For now, you can use the [RSS feed](http://blog.pampattitu.de/rss/) if it fits your habits, and I'll make sure to find a way to add that!
Thanks for the idea, I actually didn't think about it at all.

I'll keep you updated!

[Edit] Newsletter is (hopefully) up!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:43:12 AM by Pampattitude » Logged
kd.hebbes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 07:19:46 PM »

Great idea man keep it coming

1 of Paper Equals 4 of Coin
nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 09:12:20 PM »

I'm really enjoying what you've written so far. I'm looking forward to your future installments. Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

Just one thing, in episode 2 where you talked about Final Fantasy, and you had that spoiler thing up (which is a great feature!), there was absolutely no hint or suggestion what the spoiler was actually about, not even what game it was spoiling, which made the whole spoiler warning in itself completely useless. You should maybe put a little description like "(spoiler for FFX)" or even "(spoiler for a late game boss in FFX)" before the hidden text just so people can actually avoid the spoiler if they want to.

Everything else is great, though.
Pampattitude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 12:16:17 AM »

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Just one thing, in episode 2 where you talked about Final Fantasy, and you had that spoiler thing up (which is a great feature!), there was absolutely no hint or suggestion what the spoiler was actually about, not even what game it was spoiling, which made the whole spoiler warning in itself completely useless. You should maybe put a little description like "(spoiler for FFX)" or even "(spoiler for a late game boss in FFX)" before the hidden text just so people can actually avoid the spoiler if they want to.
I didn't even think about that. I'll try to do something about it!
Pampattitude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 07:50:32 AM »

Aaaaand I got excited and went off schedule. Diatribe on Zelda, everyone!
Did you know that Zelda games were the coolest games ever? :D

As you may have seen if the series piqued your interest, the usual schedule is one episode per two weeks. I'm actually releasing this episode earlier as a bonus because, well, it's a bonus anyway, but also because I'd like to transition to an episode per week.

What do you think? Is 1 episode / 2 weeks enough?
And what kind of content would you like to see in the blog? Simpler, more focused content? Case studies or general game design bits? Video or blog?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read down to this point ;]

@nnyei, I still haven't found a solution to the problem, because I only rely on CSS for the spoiler tags. I'll think of something, but I don't know what to do for now.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 12:44:34 PM »

And I have never seen a game close to a Zelda. Almost none falls in the "Zelda-like" category and here's why.

Dark Souls.

Pampattitude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 07:54:57 AM »

Dark Souls.

Well, funnily enough, Dark Souls gives me the same vibes as Zelda does.
Already re-downloaded it, I think it's worth comparing!
kd.hebbes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 09:57:12 PM »

I found the Dark Souls world so lonely. I felt nothing for anyone in that game. It does play very similar to Zelda though. Resident Evil 4 in some backwards way falls into this category. That game holds a special place in a tooon of gamers hearts too.

1 of Paper Equals 4 of Coin
nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 03:52:47 AM »

What do you think? Is 1 episode / 2 weeks enough?
And what kind of content would you like to see in the blog? Simpler, more focused content? Case studies or general game design bits? Video or blog?

Personally, I'd probably like to see a healthy mix of everything the most. But I think you should go with what works best for you. The fastest way to kill a series like this is to stop updating out of lack of motivation or enjoyment.

@nnyei, I still haven't found a solution to the problem, because I only rely on CSS for the spoiler tags. I'll think of something, but I don't know what to do for now.

Don't worry about it. XD I only mentioned it because I really had nothing else to complain about. And as far constructive criticism goes, that is my only worthwhile point of critique I can give so far.
Pampattitude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 08:23:25 AM »

Personally, I'd probably like to see a healthy mix of everything the most. But I think you should go with what works best for you. The fastest way to kill a series like this is to stop updating out of lack of motivation or enjoyment.

Haha, I don't plan on stopping. I'm having so much fun, and I still have so much to tell! I mean, I have like 8 drafts or something waiting at the staging area!

However, I want to adapt to a format that is both cool for me **and** for readers. If two weeks is too much to keep you interested, well, I failed. If you feel spammed, I failed. If you feel there's too much or too little content per post, I failed again.
That's what I meant. The format will obviously evolve as I add more or different content, but I want to anticipate that and make sure the series as a "platform" is relevant and adapted.

Don't worry about it. XD I only mentioned it because I really had nothing else to complain about. And as far constructive criticism goes, that is my only worthwhile point of critique I can give so far.

That's nice, thanks!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic