Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:22:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralVideo Game Lies Database?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Video Game Lies Database?  (Read 22977 times)
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 01:31:40 AM »

I was having a cigarette with someone at work a couple of months ago and he said that his friend wrote Quake and made all this money. I was like "Wow! You know John Carmack!?!?". It was of course not John Carmack, but someone else. I kept trying to tell him that John Carmack was the one that wrote Quake, but I just kept looking more and more like an asshole, because he seemed pretty convinced. I think his friend actually did work on Quake in some manner, but might have boasted about it quite a bit Smiley

A theory could be... his friend tried to explain what he had worked on, in the manner of "a game like Quake", and he only remembered "Quake". That's how many myths are created, I think.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 02:47:38 AM »

I think I have quite a history of telling people BS about videogames. I remember explaining to my friends how to find Mewthree and Mewfour in Pokemon (I hadn't played it) and how to unlock a 'floating red sphere' unit in Starcraft (I hadn't played that either).

Last week I told my friend that I beat FFVII and unlocked Zack.

ChevyRay
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 02:52:28 AM »

O god. When I was young, one of my best friends was an actual chronic liar, so I had to endure tonnes of these WTF
Renton
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 02:54:46 AM »

Oh, man, the relative who works for a game company is classic.
I had a lot of those  Well, hello there!
r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 03:12:10 AM »

I was told that if you could get 100 coins from the last boss in Mario 64, then complete the game you get a secret ending with luigi. Which takes about  2 hours as he only spawns 2 coins at a time after a specific attack.

I think I've heard so many lies about goldeneye, mostly from people who ever played it.

Also the rainbow chocobo in FF7 that lets you teleport is found by using Chocolove when mating, which you find at the dig site on a specific day of the year.

Oh, man, the relative who works for a game company is classic.
I had a lot of those  Well, hello there!

And Sheng Long of course
Biggerfish
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 03:57:41 AM »

Catch all 26 Unknown, get the ones that spell out "CELEBI" and go to the shrine in the forest after Azalea Town. Use cut on it and celebi will appear.

Talk to Ash's mum 100 times and she will challenge you to a battle.
jstckr
Level 7

ilu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 04:28:48 AM »

I managed to apply a nude patch to the first Tomb Raider and made lots of friends by telling them an insanely long cheat code (to blame its nonworkingness on their typos). Good times.

increpare
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 04:36:21 AM »

I was having a cigarette with someone at work a couple of months ago and he said that his friend wrote Quake and made all this money. I was like "Wow! You know John Carmack!?!?".
maybe he knew john romero  Tongue
professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 05:43:59 AM »

maybe he knew john romero  Tongue

fuck romero.

in pokemon there was a lie about reaching some isles that the npc's talked about but i can't even remember the names.  in addition, there was a way to unlock 007 in super smash bros.
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 06:01:22 AM »

All I have to say is: Peter Fucking Molyneux.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 07:45:43 AM »

I remember the Elite manual had a section describing Generation ships. You'd always meet people who'd claim to have seen them in the game, but they were never in the game. It was just flavour text. I think this might be the only example of a games manual actually lying.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 07:48:08 AM »

I remember the Elite manual had a section describing Generation ships. You'd always meet people who'd claim to have seen them in the game, but they were never in the game. It was just flavour text. I think this might be the only example of a games manual actually lying.

No, I can't remember specifics, but some other games do that too.
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 08:18:58 AM »

When I was a kid, the big one going around was that after you beat Mother Brain in the NES version, if you could get through the escape part fast enough, on the left hand side before you reached the top you could see a small room where 2 people were having sex.

I semi-believed this for years until the internet came around and people posted images of the entire world map Embarrassed

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 08:46:50 AM »

One I recall is the "Wheat Sword", of Golden Sun: The Lost Age. By doing a series of progressively more bizarre tasks, you could receive the most powerful weapon in the game.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »

I think this might be the only example of a games manual actually lying.
No, I can't remember specifics, but some other games do that too.

Well, according to the Wiki article on Sheng Long, he was listed as Ryu and Ken's master in the manual for the American release of Street Fighter II on the SNES, which was due to a misinterpretation of Ryu's victory phrase, "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance" (Sheng Long being the Chinese reading of the kanji for Sho Ryu). Looks like whoever was in charge of writing up the manual made the assumption that Sheng Long was Ryu's master, as did many other people, and decided to add a little flavour to the character profiles.

I went to school with a kid who was notorious for lying about games, also. I'm pretty sure he had a cousin who was working on a 3D sequel to Mario Kart (In 1994), and he told me about a secret throw that Dhalsim had where he grabbed his opponent with both hands, and then his legs stretched up around their neck (I pointed out the physical impossibility of this, but he brushed it off, citing Dhalsim's ability to levitate), and threw them with all four limbs.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
pixeltao
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 12:06:41 PM »

The code to unlock the blood and arcade fatalities in the SNES version of Mortal Kombat! I tried that code so many times and it never worked. It was so disappointing.

Edit: And I still remember the REAL blood code for the Genesis version: ABACABB.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 12:38:09 PM by pixeltao » Logged

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 12:38:49 PM »

Has no one mentioned the cow level?  Undecided

Sk8rCai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 12:40:41 PM »

The one that got me was the mythical trailer in Lunar Jet Man on the Spectrum.....
shig
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2009, 12:49:43 PM »

Iirc, Super Mario World had a total of 98 levels. A lot of people thought that by completing 98 levels you had completed only 98% of the game, meaning that there were two more levels hidden somewhere.

Also, my friend told me he did a 100 hit combo with Sub-Zero on Mortal Kombat 3.

I think he mistook MK for Killer Instinct, since it also has an ice based character and  features insanely long combos.
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2009, 01:01:49 PM »

Four Bond mode in goldeneye was a popular lie. If you completed the shuttle level in two minutes in 00 agent mode it was said you'd unlock Connery, Moore, and that other guy for multiplayer mode. I tried so hard, and finally did it only to unlock nothing.
There was also talk of a hidden level featuring Oddjob and Mayday that you could only get to with a gameshark code that let you walk to the tower across the water on the Dam level.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic