Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:26:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralVideo Game Lies Database?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Video Game Lies Database?  (Read 22983 times)
rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2009, 01:15:36 PM »

I remember one, that to get Mewtoo in SSBB you could leave your gamecube on all night.

A few years ago my friends and I were really into Timesplitters two. I was really ticked when I learned Future Perfect would be M, seeing as I wouldn't be able to buy it,  and I brought it up with my friends. One of them, a known liar, then said, "Well, one of the guys at Gamestop knows everything about video games, and he heard about the fourth one. It's going to be rated T, and there's going to be cool people like trees and koala bears [I'm sure there were others but those were all I can remember]. Oh, yeah, and also it's never coming out."

I actually believed him. 

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2009, 01:32:07 PM »

duke nukem forever

olücæbelel
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2009, 01:37:26 PM »

I remember one, that to get Mewtoo in SSBB you could leave your gamecube on all night.

That one wasn't actually a myth though - MewTwo required something like 10 hours of gameplay, and leaving the gamecube on overnight was a quick solution.

ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2009, 02:07:18 PM »

That one wasn't actually a myth though - MewTwo required something like 10 hours of gameplay, and leaving the gamecube on overnight was a quick solution.

I think I just read an entirely unintentional lie born out of somebody's force of habit of abbreviating the latest entry in the series. Durr...?

That aside: Pichu, Mewtwo, Roy, and Balloon Fighter in Brawl. Shrug

I don't think a lie database would be a very good (or completable) thing, though- Doesn't EGM keep adding lies year after year come April Fool's? Like that whole "Yoshi in Pokémon" thing?

Currently brainstorming for a project
increpare
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2009, 02:29:11 PM »

sources should be required maybe.  otherwise people will just make shit up for the express point of putting it in the DB (this might be funny, but would undermine its integrity a little I think)
rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2009, 02:31:32 PM »

Really? I tried it a few times and it never worked.

I think I just read an entirely unintentional lie born out of somebody's force of habit of abbreviating the latest entry in the series. Durr...?

Embarrassed

pixeltao
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2009, 02:35:08 PM »

sources should be required maybe.  otherwise people will just make shit up for the express point of putting it in the DB (this might be funny, but would undermine its integrity a little I think)

Yes, but besides EGM, official sources of lies are often chronic liar friends or cousins...  Corny Laugh

Greg
Level 0

has a compass, lost my map

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2009, 02:56:05 PM »

All I have to say is: Peter Fucking Molyneux.
yeah, he is lie, isn't he.

When I was a kid, the big one going around was that after you beat Mother Brain in the NES version, if you could get through the escape part fast enough, on the left hand side before you reached the top you could see a small room where 2 people were having sex.

I semi-believed this for years until the internet came around and people posted images of the entire world map Embarrassed
any excuse to beat Metroid again was a good one.

I could never find the Sword called the Cuisinart in Wizardry 1.  I always thought that was the greatest name for a sword, still don't know if it's real or not.

A day for firm decisions!!! Or is it?
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2009, 03:01:17 PM »

It should be a real sword!  Giggle
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2009, 03:12:56 PM »

I think I found it in Symphony of the Night

ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2009, 03:42:48 PM »

Oh, rob, P.S.- You have to leave the game on, unpaused, during a versus match of some sort. Most people just placed three Jigglypuffs along with their preferred character in a 99 stock match on overnight.

Though I don't really see why anyone would burn a hole in their GCN when they could just unlock Mewtwo in Event Mode or whatever you had to do to get him. Shrug

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2009, 03:56:37 PM »

Heh.

A few years ago I remember reading about those rumours that if you looked hard enough, you could get Leo and Seigfried to join your party in FFVI. Which seemed plausible, you know? Because Leo was already in your party briefly and Seigfried's bizarrely brief appearance just seemed out of place... Plus, there are two empty character slots when you have all the other characters - if there weren't two extra characters, why not just reduce the width of that selection box?

In any case, I bought it - at least the bit about Seigfried. There was this whole thing about him being the guy that shadow worked with in the dreams he has. According to what I read, to get him, you have to swap a megaelixer in the coliseum, and you'll fight a very hard version of seigfried. It seemed so plausible.

So I took shadow out to the dinosaur island and leveled him up to level 90 or something crazy like that. Then I went back and fought Seigfried in the coliseum.

Nothing happens. Cry

5parrowhawk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2009, 06:00:49 PM »

Has no one mentioned the cow level?  Undecided

Speaking of the cow level, I recall there was some kind of bug or exploit which you could use in Diablo 1 to walk through the "unwalkable" barriers in Tristram. If memory serves, when I tried it and walked to the top corner of the map, there was a cow standing there. I couldn't figure out any way to interact with it. The next time I tried that, the cow wasn't there anymore. Perhaps that mysterious cow is what triggered all the "cow level" rumours?
Fuzz
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2009, 06:02:14 PM »

Speaking of the cow level, I recall there was some kind of bug or exploit which you could use in Diablo 1 to walk through the "unwalkable" barriers in Tristram. If memory serves, when I tried it and walked to the top corner of the map, there was a cow standing there. I couldn't figure out any way to interact with it. The next time I tried that, the cow wasn't there anymore. Perhaps that mysterious cow is what triggered all the "cow level" rumours?
But my friend knew some guy who knew some guy who had talked with some guy on the internet who had played the cow level!  :D
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2009, 06:03:48 PM »

But my friend knew some guy who knew some guy who had talked with some guy on the internet who had played the cow level!  :D

And my friend's cousin's best friend knew a guy whose uncle's second niece took the photograph of the cow used to make the model for the mysterious cow at the end ot the "cow level".

Fuzz
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2009, 06:08:18 PM »

And my friend's cousin's best friend knew a guy whose uncle's second niece took the photograph of the cow used to make the model for the mysterious cow at the end ot the "cow level".
Now go track down your friend's cousin's best friend's acquaintance's uncle's second niece and post that picture!
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2009, 06:18:43 PM »

Unfortunately, Fuzz, she passed away. Or married a bear.

Eitehr way, I think mauling was involved.

SO ANYWAY, how about those actual lies, peeps?

SpaceBrance
Level 1

The one with White Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2009, 06:21:13 PM »

Damn you Mew...All the lies I had to go through...All the lies and deception...Why couldn't you just be in the game? Why did I have to go online and find a way to catch you? WHY WAS ALMOST EVERY TRICK A LIE? Why...why... Cry

I eventually did find a glitch that worked though, so everything's cool.
Beer!
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2009, 06:23:25 PM »

The cow level is real, though.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile