Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 02:50:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 33 (Aug 21st - 24th)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 33 (Aug 21st - 24th)  (Read 16964 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2015, 06:56:09 AM »

Creating the thread now because it's only ten days left and there are a few things that would be good for me to discuss.

So who's in this time?

It's cool that it's getting bigger and bigger but it does make for a lot of stupid voting suggestions and I've clicked the slaughter button for almost everything I've seen. But I'll keep my fingers and my sanity off the voting for now and just go with whatever ends up being the winning theme in the end.

I've got a little (re)quest(ion).

I've got no money ATM and I'm like three payments behind my web hosting, so in case I don't have it back up and running by LD (unlikely), would someone be happy to host my game on their server / web hotel room, or is there some good place I could put it for free?

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 09:29:19 AM »

Maybe I'll be in, but I might have a schedule conflict for that. Also, can you not just create a dropbox account for hosting?

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 10:18:21 AM »

Oh, didn't think of that. My dropbox is full tho. Maybe my box will have space enough, providing I can link directly from there. Or gf's dropbox.

Oh, another question I forgot to ask: is it still worth using Unity? Used HTML/JS last time because of the mess with Chrome removing support for the web player and stuff. Unity does export to that these days, right? Will it be stable enough for a small jam game?

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 10:25:20 AM »

I dunno. I'll either use GM:S or C++ depending on the circumstances, so web support is out of the question for me. I really have never messed with that kind of thing... Shrug

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 11:03:15 AM »

Eh, I'll give it a try this time and hope for the best — in the worst case scenario I'll still have executables and a web player for people who don't use Chrome or who have multiple browsers and might shift to another one to play LD games made in Unity.

AlexRamallo
Level 1

:0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 02:36:48 PM »

You could try Haxe with OpenFL by using HaxeFlixel or HaxePunk. The Haxe language is awkward at first since it's based off of the equally awkward AS3, but once you get the hang of it the available tools and technology are awesome. Great performance, sophisticated IDE (FlashDevelop), and support for tons of platforms including desktop, mobile, HTML5, and Flash. The fact that everything is open source is just a bonus,

It's definitely what I plan to use if I'm able to participate in this LD.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 03:05:43 PM »

I was actually planning on trying Haxe for this one, but I haven't had the energy to program at all for like two months and I'll be doing this together with someone so I decided to play it safe with Unity again this time and try Haxe out at a pace I can muster ATM until next time or so.

Mir@k
Level 1

Pffffffft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 06:41:33 PM »

Pardon me for my incredible ignorance, but what is this about?

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 02:09:53 AM »

Prinsessa I believe you should make the header image of this thread be a link to the ludum dare website. In the meantime mir@k, just google "ludum dare" and you'll be good to go.

Mir@k
Level 1

Pffffffft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 08:07:57 PM »

Wow. It sounds fun, but not so much for people who don't know how to code.
I'd love to be as a team member in a project though.

Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 08:20:15 PM »

I think ill try to participate, i might be short on time though... working on weekends.
Might be a good idea to try to team up, i usually have fairly decent ideas, and im a gml (GM:S) programmer.
Art has always been my downfall, so a good artist would help, since im low on time maybe some other gml coder.

Well, im just throwing this out there! pm me if interested, Ill try my best to participate either way!
Jams are always a fun time to let the mind free (without necessarily killing the current project)

SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 04:35:39 AM »

I'm in. Last LD was my first and I found it very rewarding, great way to scratch that new game itch when your working on a longer project like I am atm.

A fair few of the themes in round 1 have actually been themes used for previous LDs I think. Can't say any of the themes so far have particually interested me though.

I'll be using unity 5, quick and easy to knock somthing up and I have a fair bit of experience using it now.

As for questions, I'm interested in what people do to prepare for LD? i.e. practice making music, using art packages etc.

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 06:27:18 PM »

Wow. It sounds fun, but not so much for people who don't know how to code.
On the contrary, if you're trying to learn to code, this can be a great exercise. But perhaps you meant rather that you're an artist or musician instead of a coder. Either way, you might be able to find someone interesting in teaming up; try posting on Ludum Dare about it and see what happens!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »

A fair few of the themes in round 1 have actually been themes used for previous LDs I think.
Yeah. Happens every time, and one recognises more and more of them the more times one participates.

VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 03:44:06 PM »

I'll be in as usual.

I've got a little (re)quest(ion).

I've got no money ATM and I'm like three payments behind my web hosting, so in case I don't have it back up and running by LD (unlikely), would someone be happy to host my game on their server / web hotel room, or is there some good place I could put it for free?

What precisely do you need? If it's just some web space (for hosting files and/or web pages) without anything fancy (server-side scripts, database access, server program etc), I can provide that. The URL will be something like http://www.stack.nl/~vdz/prinsessa/. I can't provide FTP access or anything like that, so you'll have to send it to me manually (via IRC or a service like Mega or WeTransfer) during submission hour and I'll upload it.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 04:55:49 AM »

Yeah, just so I can link people to a Unity player embedded in an HTML page (and embed that player on the LD entry page) and direct links to PC standalone downloads. I'll make sure to try Dropbox before I ask you the favour, tho, but thanks a lot for offering it!

Also, final voting has pretty much only boring themes this time. Sad

elfeck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 05:29:16 AM »

I will participate given that I can come up with a decent idea. Which depends on the theme. Oh well, at least 5 themes from the final vote seem interesting. Let's see  Blink
SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 12:12:14 PM »

Only half of the final round themes had positive ratings Undecided

A World in the Skies    325
You are the Monster    303
Expanding World    260
Can’t Stop Moving    244
Chain Reaction    197
Beyond the Wall    183
Death is Not the End    151
A Map Will Be Useful    109
Alone in the World    97
Abandoned    7

7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 06:15:53 PM »

Only half of the final round themes had positive ratings Undecided
I see people often downvote everything other than the one theme they want. So the rate of negative votes is much higher

Flatgub
Level 0

My existence is questionable at best

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 01:18:38 AM »

I'll be in!
I'm trying to get rough ideas for each theme, so i wont be stumped when it gets picked like last time...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic