Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:05:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingComputer Virus Simulator - Feedback thread
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Computer Virus Simulator - Feedback thread  (Read 2463 times)
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2015, 12:23:43 PM »

This is feedback thread for early builds of Computer Virus Simulator, an amazing, low-poly 3D platformer. Here testbuilds designed to test features that I don't feel I can get right by myself will appear

Originally posted in Computer Virus Simulator devlog thread
I have interesting news to share. Today I'm ready to publish first public test build of Computer Virus Simulator.

What are those? Aside of the obvious, these little test cases are designed to test (and get feedback on) one specific feature at a time that I don't think I can get right on my own.

This test case is designed to test movement system. For this purpose I've designed a simple scene with really nothing except main character and a fountain (so you have some relative point to look at so you won't get disoriented). I'd like to get as much feedback on this as possible. Also don't worry about quality of the fountain, it will be changed and won't stay that way.

Download links:
Dropbox MEGA

After playing around, please fill out this simple form:

How much, on the 1-10 scale would you rate how The Virus was moving?

If you didn't like the way Virus was moving (above answered with less than 5), why do you think it was that way?

If you were in charge of movement design of The Virus, what would you change in the way it is moving?

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 12:45:11 PM »

I don't want to rate it on a scale because I don't want to talk about taste. The way it needs to move depends heavily on what the goal of the eventual game is going to be and it's not fleshed out enough to see whats needed.

What I noticed (I don't know if this is the case for everybody) is that his movement starts to "flicker" or not be smooth at higher speeds. I don't know how you control this but one thing could be that you use an interval/tick that's too slow.

Also I think that the camera starts out too close (I noticed the scroll wheel backed it up). Although this depends on what would be the actual goal of the game (need oversight V.S. need to read the character).

My advice is to flesh it out more and ask this question again because it's a fair and important question to ask.

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 08:48:30 AM »

Agreed. Will do something about the camera and I'm aware of the jitter, but this bug has low priority now as as you said I need to flesh out the game. But it will be eventually fixed.

Be a computer virus!

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 06:46:13 PM »

Hey there

OK, I played it but I don't really have anything to say about it being good or bad. The problem is that good movement is relative to its context. What I would be doing on the real game dictates how the movement should feel. For example, I like how the movement in Dark Souls feel, but if that were meant for quake levels and gameplay it would be way too slow and clunky.

MY suggestion is to make a new level with some mock up version of what we would do in the real game. Doesn't even need all the game logic, just enough to better evaluate the controls.

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 01:44:56 AM »

Okay. By the way, I've fixed character jitter.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 12:34:31 PM »

Here's second testbuild:

MEGA Dropbox

Again, I'm looking for movement/controls feedback, but this time scene is more elaborate to allow better controls evaluation as suggested by @diegzumilo.

//edit: New moves: Left mouse button - Smash. Basically it's a basic attack, but also allows for some mobility. Also press space while in the air to glide.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 06:27:33 PM »

Bump, need feedback on testbuild #2!
Again, please play above and after playing around, please fill out this simple form:

How much, on the 1-10 scale would you rate how The Virus was moving?

If you didn't like the way Virus was moving (above answered with less than 5), why do you think it was that way?

If you were in charge of movement design of The Virus, what would you change in the way it is moving?

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 09:34:42 AM »

Testbuild #3 is here! Again, need feedback on the movement (it's more or less finalized, but there's always room for tweaks) so above survey is still valid.

BUT! This testbuilds also show AV Agent and its AI (which I'd describe as patrolling-seeking AI). I'd suggest playing with it for a bit and give me feedback!

Note that you can destroy this AI by using your smash attack, which also allows you to move faster (you can use left mouse button or ctrl for that).

Another big difference from previous testbuild is blob shadow under The Virus that replace previous fully dynamic one, but allows to aim your jumps better.

Current moveset include the following:

- Jumping (space)
- Gliding (space while in the air)
- Walljump (space while facing and close enough to a wall, if it doesn't work please let go of the w key!)
- Smash attack (ctrl or left mouse button)
- And of course, standard movement with arrows.

Download: {Dropbox} {MEGA}

Be a computer virus!

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 07:52:45 AM »

oK.
I think you have a good idea, but I see this is just the beginning and you have a long way to go, so here is my feedback, and if you improve the control and the basics, you'll be in the right direction.

Constructive Feedback

The forwards and strafing side to side movement was fine, but, at first, I couldn't figure out how to make the character turn, as the left and right arrow keys or for strafing left and right.  I later found out it was the mouse, but this was really difficult to control.  Also, when I went into a corner and tried to turn around the camera went up the wall and it was hard to navifate.

Also, jumping was really hard, it was really hard to get up the stairs, as I would usually miss the next step when falling back down.

The little moving red and blue button thing was really hard to follow, it moved really fast past the camera, and with the mouse camera controls hard to follow, I eventually managed to reach it when it got stuck in a corner, and I pressed smash attack and it disappeared.

Hope that helps.

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 10:56:05 AM »

Thank you for your feedback. I'll have a popup describing controls before game starts in the final game. Unless I'll figure better solution.

As for the jumping, what was exactly the problem there? Was movement too floaty, or the opposite - too stiff? I can adjust both way, but unless I know which one I should go for, I can't.

Dunno what to do for the corner issue, but I'll figure something out. I'll have to contact person who developed it about that since I'm using third party asset for camera - it was either that or camera that goes through walls.

As for AV agent, fast movement is kind of a point. It felt to easy to get rid of it otherwise. Fortunately, they're weak unless they're in group, each deals only 0.5hp/second of damage (exact number may change) if they're collided with. Also it didn't get stuck in the corner. It was resting. I felt that if I make them stop and change direction at random intervals it will make them feel more alive and I was right. That being said, they'll still get moving if you get in their line of sight and aggro them.

Also they weren't fashioned after a button. They were fashioned after this:

Because they're AV agents, your computer's police.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 02:28:50 AM »

Hello, I can't seem to be able to reproduce following issue:
Also, when I went into a corner and tried to turn around the camera went up the wall and it was hard to navifate.
Could please make a video or a gif where it happens? It'd be next best thing and would help me solve this issue.

Be a computer virus!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic