Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:31:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRogue Legend - The Adventure Lifecycle
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Rogue Legend - The Adventure Lifecycle  (Read 14422 times)
Yxven
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 12:22:51 PM »

I was thinking this was the sequel to Rogue Legacy. I suggest changing your name to prevent confusion.
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 11:02:11 AM »

Before you can generate a world, you gotta make things to fill it with. Here are some things!

The Wattle house may be your first survival shelter when you first start out in the wilderness

Carpentry bench has gotten a new model, though its texture will be changing soon too. With that, you'll be able to make a slightly more sophisticated plaster house:

Better door also pending. All of these are going to have some variations and alternates as well, so you can have varied and bustling towns or shanties.

I worked on multiplayer stuff too, and some quality of life improvements which will be ever-ongoing. Multiplayer is very nearly complete, so expect to see lots of world building stuff in the future.
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 10:47:03 AM »

Many many new tilesets are in the works now, and will be trickling out for general buildery fun as I work on the systems for worldgen that will use them. Towns are an important aspect of how the world will be generated and how you'll play, so let's talk about those.

Every world is randomly generated and will be different for everyone, but certain features and aspects will always be present to ensure you don't get locked out of any content arbitrarily. Towns are one of them, and every world will come with a number of villages, towns, and a city or two. They'll act as a central hub for each of the playstyles: merchants will want to set up shops in dense population, farmers will be able to offload their produce and buy supplies, adventurers will get new quests and learn about nearby dungeons, and explorers can look into rumors and get their items fixed or appraised.

Just like in RL1, towns will be protected from the maniacal among you that see them as nothing more than a cheap supply of blocks. As has been the theme with the sequel, that system will also be expanded and refined into a new ownership system. Towns and dungeons are owned by their inhabitants and can't be vandalized by non-owners, but this system isn't restricted to just those. Players will also be able to buy property, both within towns or in the wild to start their own communities, which could be particularly useful in multiplayer. It comes in three forms, based on the type of server you want to run: The default will be to allow the purchase of property to protect your homes/creations from vandalism by other players. True pvp servers can disable it completely, requiring you to protect your homes and valuables in other ways. You'll also have the option to require players to own property to build anything, and restrict how permission is granted, which could be useful for large-scale construction projects that have a specific set of builders but still want to allow other people to come and look around.

All that said, the core 4 playstyles aren't the ONLY ones I've been thinking about when it comes to towns and ownership, and there may be ways in single player to revoke ownership for... certain kinds of individuals.

The wattle and plaster house tilesets have gotten some visual upgrades, as seen above and here:

They'll probably get another couple improvements before I call them done.
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 12:16:06 PM »

This week I was focused on the total earlygame overhaul, both changing how it plays and adding a tutorial to teach new players how to play. I added a new primitive tier full of low-tech items with a greater focus on scavenging and surviving. This will likely change again before release as the playstyles are expanded and story added, but for now the game should be much less daunting for beginners. The primitive tier includes things like cups made of leaves, a simpler compass made of suspending magnetized rock in water, and sculpting/firing clay. I've also tweaked the colors a bit, making the game a good deal more bright and vibrant:

The tutorial is a series of guided quests that gets you through the primitive tier and ends with a home base complete with factories, farm, and shop. There's a bunch of new stuff to craft too, and not just at the primitive tier. Here's a bunch of pictures. Note that these were taken before the color upgrade and if you think I'm going to redo these pictures so they look nicer, then what happens next may SHOCK you.

Survival bed:

New containers:

New furniture:

Many tweaks have been added on top of that. There's a new character model you can choose during character creation, with more to come. A bunch of balance tweaks and new crafting functionality, some fixes to some long-standing issues and some caused by last week's performance tweaks, a number of appearance changes and some better feedback things. Overall the entire experience, particularly the first hour, should be steadily improving with this and upcoming updates.
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 10:57:20 AM »

I made water. Also, better caves. More details here: http://kassoon.com/rogue-legend-2/devlogs/

Instead, here's a bunch of pictures

Eldraev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 03:35:43 PM »

Every time I see updates to this thread pop up it makes me think of this themeatly comic (minus the last part as you obviously have more than that)

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/53b20345e4b02529e48af929/t/53c3fa69e4b0f7bda7cef87a/1405352554052/?format=750w

The concept sounds amazing. Good luck with it. I really hope you make it.

Also, just as a note on the side, the stylized textures for the dirt, wood and character clothing look really nice Smiley

Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 11:25:23 AM »

Every time I see updates to this thread pop up it makes me think of this themeatly comic (minus the last part as you obviously have more than that)

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/53b20345e4b02529e48af929/t/53c3fa69e4b0f7bda7cef87a/1405352554052/?format=750w

The concept sounds amazing. Good luck with it. I really hope you make it.

Also, just as a note on the side, the stylized textures for the dirt, wood and character clothing look really nice Smiley

Thanks! I guess my write-up might make it sound like too much, but the basic idea is "3d kinda similar to Rune Factory with better combat/dungeons, and some novel takes on farming/building/selling." Also better procedural content in general, since that's something I'm really into.

I'm going to try to get into the habit of making some videos showing off the new/finished stuff, since there's a lot to do in the game already and that probably doesn't come across clearly in my written devlogs.
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2016, 03:16:22 PM »

Wahey, towns! There's stuff to buy and people hangin out. It's a pretty important base, since it's what a large amount of the farmer and merchant playstyles focus on.

I also added in some modding support, so people can make and share their own towns. If there's a particular style of town you prefer you can either make your own buildings for it or hope someone else has done the same.

I want towns to be a place you can live in comfortably, so it's important that there be specific vendors and services available in every town to see to your needs (food, water, raw resources, etc). In a static game this is super easy, you just edit the town and add the building. In a procedural game where the town can be anywhere, be any size or shape, and be spawned in any order (since I optimized world gen) this is significantly harder. I had to create a special seeding system that would be able to recognize towns during spawn and estimate their completed size since town pieces are spawned "as needed" rather than all up front like some other procedural games do (and until recently this one did). The end result is that I can specify special buildings that a town must spawn, and it will. This allows me to create a chain of services and needs that will feed into the Merchant and Farmer campaigns as well as how NPCs live and work within their towns.

I also did work on the player's shop that you'll start with owning in the Merchant campaign but also be able to buy on your own in one of the others. I've talked about ownership a bit before in various places, but here's the lowdowon on how it'll likely progress: to start, towns and dungeons will be owned in much the same way as it worked in the first game where you can't just barge in and wreck up the place. There will also be special ownership where you start off not being able to do anything with them but then purchase them later from a bank to gain ownership, like the merchant shop in the town. Eventually I would like to expand this into a more general purpose player ownership of area for multiplayer that can be turned on/off optionally, to allow for things like player-owned cities. It'll be an optional thing so you can also opt for pure survival pvp servers.

When you start you have the option of starting barebones as usual, or start in a town with your own shop. There's a new intro questline that guides you through getting items, setting prices and selling to customers, and getting used to life in the town. It's important to me in the Merchant campaign to have a game where you never feel like you need to step outside the town, and have all your needs and interests taken care of safe within the walls.

Also, all the hair has been redone! It should be better now. There are some further improvements that I'll be making with shaders and motion, but it looks a bit less like a big block on their head for now. The look of wood planks has been further improved as well, and feels preeeetty close to done.

Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2016, 09:29:14 AM »

Did a polish pass this week. You know, balancing numbers, adding some nice small touches, tightening the graphics on level 2, that sort of thing. Got tired of the placeholder trees and plants, so I added some variety to the trees. Now there are some birch trees, fir trees, that sort of thing. Biomes will see a much greater variety, but it's a bit nicer to look at now isn't it:

A lot of crops have gotten new appearances as well, so your farms should be a bit more lively. There's other things too, like butterflies in the spring, fireflies in the summer. The grass and dirt texture have gotten some improvements. Plants will sway when you run through them, and I've added a new effect for when you water them. Oh, and a fireplace:

Got to have chimneys in town after all. It's a more refined version of the campfire you can craft when you've got a more respectable homestead. I also added a trash slot to your backpack, so you can permanently throw away things you no longer want instead of tossing them into a big pit and waiting for them to decay. While that was perhaps more realistic, I don't think building your own landfills was something anyone had requested. If you want to do it that way you still can, but you won't, because an easier option exists now and you can't help yourself.

Finally a lot of work was done on villagers and personalities, though none of it is ready yet. I had to get a waypoint system set up for the various jobs they'll do and places they'll visit during the day and also a lot (a lot) of writing. A lot of games tend to have really uninteresting characters that prattle off the same thing over and over again like a robot, or only have anything interesting during specific cutscenes. My goal is to have it so you actually want to talk to the villagers, and get to know them over time and have a relationship form via these interactions, rather than someone you dump gifts onto until they marry you. Granted, it takes a lot more writing, so I've been doing that in the evenings. Hopefully we'll come out the other end with interesting people.
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2016, 09:26:22 AM »

Hello fellow hu-mans, this week was all about injecting some personality into the town's villagers. The overall jist of it is all the villagers get a personality, and all have a bunch of stuff to say. Everyone's got a name, a home, and they'd be delighted to talk with you for a bit but not, like, obsessively. They've got boundaries and lives of their own you know. I also have the basic structure of their schedules and jobs setup, and some will even go to work sometimes! Schedules and needs will need some expanding, but I've at least got a nice infrastructure set up.

Generating somewhat unique procedural personalities was fun to work on, and I managed to get most of it in while simultaneously coming up with more ways to improve it, so I'll need to do a second pass at that another week. Procedural schedules proves to be pretty challenging, at least compared to static pre-programmed ones. However villagers will each claim a home and a job, as well as assemble a number of hangouts and important places (like the grocers for food, and the well for water). This on top of the already procedural towns will allow for a collection of towns and villagers of any sort of configuration and theme to more or less figure themselves out automatically. So every town, its inhabitants, personalities, and their jobs and schedules should be totally unique to each player.

You can also get to know each villager personally, and will eventually be able to build a repertoire, hang out, do favors, gossip and spread rumors. I've also added support for totally unique storyline characters that can be dropped into various locations. These characters will have expanded character arcs, be able to go with you on adventures, or be pursued romantically. I will likely be fleshing out the first one next week as part of the farmer and merchant campaigns. Your name that you use when speaking with the villagers is the same one you set in your backer panel. You'll need to log in once to make sure it's set, but after that you won't need internet to have people refer to you by your set name (unless you decide to change it).

There were also a number of convenience changes made this week based on feedback. The UI for placing blocks has been made easier to see where you're placing, the chisel is back for more ways to make ramps, you can haggle and specify amounts when purchasing items, and there's a bunch more unique crop appearances as well as appearances for dropped items.
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2016, 10:10:45 AM »

Happy Easter! I added Easter eggs to celebrate. They'll show up Spring 8 in-game or March 25-27 irl. Since this update is coming juuust after Easter, I've extended their duration to the 30th. So get em, get the eggs!

The other major additions this week were the journal/collection, and a bunch of combat changes. When you pause you'll get a (n ugly placeholder) journal with the Collection page open. Items you collect are added to it and organized by category. You can check their info at any time including value and craft recipe. Additionally, as you collect items some that you haven't found will have their name revealed to help you find them.

Combat has been the hardest thing to get "just right" but I think I'm on the right track now. We've still got the RPG style abilities and elemental combat, but I've been making tweaks to make it much more fast paced and exciting. Basically, your initiative/charging no longer charges up, you get access to your abilities immediately and attacks will execute as you press them. Positioning and dodging has become much more important as well, attacks will miss if they're out of range or if your target circles around behind you. You can still do "just in time" dodging by dodging with good timing even if the attack would normally hit, but the grace period has been slightly increased. Not so much to be easy, but enough that perhaps people that aren't me can do it with some consitency. You can also "quick dodge" out of actions, so if you're in the middle of a swing and you dodge you'll cancel the attack and go into a dodge immediately. Stuns also play a greater role now, you'll still be stunned briefly when hit or when your guard is broken, but this will also cancel any in-progress actions (including attacking) so you'll need to take greater care when choosing your chance to strike. Finally, you'll no longer rotate during the last half of your swing, making it easier for an opponent to circle around you for a strike if your swing misses.

How combat abilities are handled has also changed. Now you have a little + next to your actionbar that when clicked will toggle to your combat actionbar. You can place your abilities here and they'll be available to you in combat. Abilities will no longer be able to go in your backpack or normal actionbar, and instead will be stored in your ability list, which you can swap on your combat actionbar. So there's no longer a need to rearrange your actionbar for combat, though you may still want to keep a spear and shield equipped.

Other more misc changes include burning logs at a kiln to make charcoal, a much more effective fuel source. Memory usage has been reduced quite a bit, and there's a new look for the distant mountains that's a bit better than the old one. Also pathfinding has been improved for slopes, so your character shouldn't be quite as hesitant to go up them. Oh! The moon no longer has a bite out of it.
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2016, 08:54:28 AM »

I don't think tig supports webm or gifv, so I'll just link to the gifs

http://i.imgur.com/XLT9iIn.webm

Hey look, clouds! I wanted fluffy, realistic and 3D clouds that actually float over the world. The flat or painted-on clouds in most games have always looked pretty cheesy to me, speaking as someone that likes to watch the clouds float on by. Well, now you can in-game! The clouds all have random shapes and sizes and will float over your world based on the wind speed and direction. Once you get your airship you should also be able to fly through them. Next I'll be giving them proper coloration based on current conditions, so you can get big dark rainclouds overhead when it's raining.

http://i.imgur.com/vwYvuJI.webm

Merchant campaign has proper debt repayment and expansion now. At the bank you'll be able to repay your loan, expand your shop, and learn a little more about the guild that has financed you. In the technical side of things that required creating custom schedules for NPCs, and a system for relationships. This will allow me to create more unique characters that you can get to know over time, and give them all personal stories. Getting to know the characters in the world and learning their stories is the main way I plan to present the plot and history of the world. They're pretty Animal Crossing esque now, so the next step is to flesh out their backstories and motivations.

http://i.imgur.com/EHkyJX2.webm

On some world side of things I've been doing some more tinkering with biomes in preparation for dungeons. I've added a plains biome to make it a bit easier for construction, and I'll be tweaking enemy spawns and adding more as we go along. I want pacifism to be possible in the farmer/merchant/explorer playstyles, but you may need to do some running and wall building.

http://i.imgur.com/HwNN7fh.webm

There's also a round of quality of life improvements. The options menu is now accessible from your in-game journal, you can quickly scroll along your actionbar with shift+mousewheel, and I've created a new effect for the block breaking.

http://i.imgur.com/QZUCWPu.webm

Evil Report

Evil spearheads a new initiative to always be pushing the envelope

Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2016, 11:58:11 AM »

Hi again, I didn't post the last couple here because they used webm gifs, but this time... there's a video!

It's short and goes over world gen and some of the new stuff

Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2016, 10:16:50 AM »

This week is all about real-time combat action, a lovely swim, and a little something at the end

Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2016, 07:55:31 AM »

It's a double feature!

Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2016, 11:56:04 AM »

Can games get too real?

Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2016, 10:42:33 AM »

I've been spending quite some time working on my dungeon generator, so I decided to talk a bit about how it works. I feel like Roguelikes have mastered the "interconnected series of boxes" that you most often see, and have been approaching the problem as how you can make visually interesting themed dungeons that play out like hand-crafted ones. Still not done, but I wanted to get my thoughts on it out there.

There's also a bit on detecting caves/underground areas in an engine where terrain is constantly changing from players building/digging.
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2016, 06:45:00 AM »

Been lots of updates and changes, here's a video covering some of them
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2016, 09:43:45 AM »

Multiplayer and planar travel
komedy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2016, 10:41:31 AM »

Looks like this is coming along really well! It was cool looking at all the dev log entries and seeing how far it's come in a year. Seems to me like you have a great vision and should keep pursuing that.

Also, I love whatever shader or color scheme you're using at 1:29 in the last video you posted.

Check out my WIP game Party Hero here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic