Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:54:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRogue Legend - The Adventure Lifecycle
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Rogue Legend - The Adventure Lifecycle  (Read 14421 times)
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2018, 07:48:57 AM »

Artifying continues with a new house added to the village, a new appearance for doors, and a new fancy rounded top door. Lighting and color has also undergone some improvement tweaks.

When I got done with building out the new village house, I realized it had actually ended up 1 block off from where it should have been. So I made a new Copy Paste Tool to craft that you can use to make a copy of any selection of blocks and then paste them anywhere else. It still requires having the right blocks if you're not in freebuild, but on top of fixing stupid planning mistakes it can also help speed up building of large structures by templating out components (like parapets!) or allow you to share your designs with others in multiplayer.

Finally there's been a bunch of fixes and tweaks that are laid out in the patch notes. The Thin Plaster block had a bunch of appearance fixes, cursor detection when placing blocks is improved, and you will no longer attempt to "use" things while placing objects, so feel free to put a candle on your carpentry bench if you need the light.
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2018, 08:01:26 AM »

When you sleep at a bed at the end of a day you'll get a new set of rested buffs for the following day:
* Tree Bulldozer lets you knock over trees by bouncing off them.
* Great Hugs makes your hugs super-powered to make your animals happy and give you speed boosts.
* Deadly Hunter gives you huge critical hits against enemies.
* Popular Shop GREATLY increases the amount of customers your shop gets.
* Weirdly Hyper makes you move around super fast.
* Gone Fishing improves all your fishing stats and makes it much easier to attract fish.
* Speed Grow lets you harvest or water your plants by running over them.
* Rock Breaker lets you dig and mine quickly with your bare hands.

If you were feeling jealous about the town's windmill you can now craft your own at a Tinker Table.

There's also new half blocks for the plaster house tileset for more gradually sloped roofs. What better way to showcase all these nice block changes than with MORE HOUSES!!

Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2018, 08:38:48 AM »

This update features a bunch more half block stuff, as well as new houses and better performance.

Instead of having a huge list of blocks for every type of shape I decided to add a Saw to let you create 1/2 and 3/4 blocks on the fly. It's made at the forge and when used on a block it will change the block to a half block, used again it'll become a quarter block, then used again it will go back to a regular block. The type of half block you'll get also depends on if it's a slope or a diagonal block. Try it on sloped roofs to change the grade.

A bunch of new blocks have 1/2 and 3/4 types added, and I completely redid the cursor detection when using the hammer or placing blocks. It should be more accurate now, with less fiddling to target the block you want.

There's also a bunch of new house types in town, and I've improved the loading speed which should result in less stuttering while exploring.

Patch Notes
* Added Saw, can be used to cut blocks in half to create half blocks or even 3/4 slopes
* Improved the detection when placing or removing blocks
* Added half and quarter blocks to the grass and dirt tileset
* Added half and quarter blocks to both plaster sets
* Added new houses to town
* Optimized loading
* Fixed some errors
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2018, 08:01:47 AM »

Just a small update this week. I was working on implementing the new character model but it had some face issues so that didn't make it in. So instead there are some bug fixes and FPS optimizations. I also improved the look of distant terrain some so it's less blurry. Here's a picture:

When I put the new character model in she looked a bit gormless, so I've needed to add a whole bunch of new facial bones that can be moved around to give actual expressions. Since I was using flat anime-style eyes and mouths before it requires pretty much a total redo of the facial expression system. There's also a lot of work involved in taking it from "creepy doll" to "that's a person" and it's something I've never done before so there's a lot of learning involved. I'll also likely need a whole new set of animations that fit with the more realistic bone structure. Anyway, this has all been going on in the background of the past several updates. I think her outfit is nice though, so here's a peek at that:

Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2018, 10:19:09 AM »

The new player model is here!

You can now select the new female model when making your character, and if you were the default female avatar before you'll be the new one. It's still in progress, some things are not done, and I've had to disable certain character customization options while working on the new ones, but it's done enough to make it playable in the new build.

Since the male model isn't done yet the other characters will still be there, so there will be a bit of a weird disconnect until then. All the customization options, facial expressions, etc need to be completely redone for the new model, so I'll be working on getting those back online in the meantime. Still, big step! I think she looks a lot better.

You'll also notice a lot more trees. Not only is there more trees in the world in general, but you can see them from really far away now too.

Patch Notes
* Added new player model
* You can now see trees as far as the terrain
* Improved look of distant terrain
* Increased number of trees in the world
* Added key prompts to some of the tutorial overlays and made them pop a bit
* Made town more aggressively seek out flat terrain
* Fixed a collider with half blocks
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2018, 08:31:06 AM »

I'm moving towards a slightly different system for research, where instead of dictating what you need to craft to research new recipes, you can choose and experiment with whatever you can find. So now whenever you break down an item on the Alchemy Table you gain a certain amount of elemental energy that's displayed on the screen. It can't be used yet (next week's update), but you can accumulate it now so you'll have a nice cache to work with for the next update.

The customization options are back in with the new character model. You can adjust all sorts of new things too with chest and belly sliders, cheeks, ears, nose, chin, and mouth which allows for a wide range of different body and face shapes

Patch Notes
* Breaking down new items at an Alchemy Table will now give you different elemental energy which is displayed on the Alchemy screen
* Added instructions to alchemy bench
* Added effect for drowning
* Added customize slider for eyebrow rotation, eyebrow size, mouth size
* Added customization sliders for chin size, height, and depth
* Added back in eye color and clothing color customization for new model
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2018, 08:18:09 AM »

Continuing from last week's update, the new research system is fully available! Now in order to research new recipes, you break down new items on your Alchemy Table in order to get a certain amount of elemental research based on the item. Like a campfire will give you fire element, but it only works once per item so you'll need to find/craft new items to continue your research.

If you then open your Research screen in your Journal, you can choose new recipes to research like normal, but now you'll need to spend elemental research to unlock them instead. What are the benefits of this over the old way? Well first of all it's better usability/feedback, it makes more sense to push a button and spend a resource to have a thing happen. More importantly though, it lets you choose which items to break down and gives more control over which recipes to unlock. Instead of needing to fulfill a specific objective of "break down 3 scales and 2 logs" you can instead break down whatever you find or don't need anymore. So if you're playing as a pacifist farmer you don't need to go out and hunt Greks for specific recipes anymore. Likewise Huntmaster Dora that's 5km away from home doesn't need to return and water her strawberries for research components.

I'm also planning to add a small research minigame to the process as I polish and finalize.
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2018, 08:28:28 AM »

There's a new addition for your farm: the Keg! You can place all sorts of crops into this and age them to make fermented drinks. There's different wines, sake, honey meads, try stuff out but don't overdo it!

The control overhauls are mostly done at this point. Camera, character movement, even inventory management has gotten significant changes and should be overall smoother and feel better to use. It'll also make any future tweaks (if necessary) much easier to do.

The only remaining movement system I'd like to improve is climbing and I've made some good progress on it but not enough to make it into this week's update. A side benefit of all these overhauls is they're also much faster (especially the inventory) so performance should be improved.
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2018, 08:40:43 AM »

You can now research and build a Cheese Press, add milk to age it into cheese. I did a lot of research on fermentation for both the keg and cheese press, and here's a fun fact: yeast is made with yeast, so most yeast that you buy has been using the same yeast culture for hundreds of years. It was actually difficult to find a recipe for yeast that didn't already require having some yeast. Basically, you can use a sourdough starter, so that's why the Keg recipe requires flour and water. Rennet is used for cheese and works similarly, except you use pine needles, which is represented here with plant fibres. Anyway, if you ever find yourself scratching your head at the craft recipes it might be a bug, or it might be because the real-world technique is also weird.

Wheat seeds can now be found at the Garden Shop, they grow in any season but winter and can be milled into flour.

The Keg has had a bunch of new recipes added. Ever heard of Kumis, Mezcal? There's all sorts of popular and less-popular fermented drinks to be made.

Work on combat continues. In addition to seeing where your target has positioned their sword and shield, there's also a UI indicator so you can watch whichever one you find comfortable. Covering your opponent's attack angle with the same will block their attack, making combat more of a game of trying to find an opening in their defense.

Patch Notes
* Added Cheese Press. Can age milk into cheese.
* Added Wheat Seeds to Garden Shop
* Wheat can be made into Flour at a Mill
* Added a bunch more Keg recipes
* Millstone now requires fuel because the alternative was to make crafting on it take a longer time which seemed more annoying
* Kegs, Tanning Racks, and similar all sparkle when done
* You will only start climbing while jumping/falling
* Fixed a display error with inventory on load
* Improved dodge control
* Added overlay to lock-on that shows target's weapon and shield position (in addition to animation)
* Attacks will be blocked based on your weapon/shield position relative to theirs
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2018, 08:23:04 AM »

Apple trees have been added! They're like normal trees, but they take a while to reach a fruit-bearing maturity, after which they'll continuously grow apples. Better yet, they don't die in winter, so you can just keep them around in your orchard and not have to worry about silly things like hydration or atmospherics.

There have also been some quality of life improvements and bug fixes. Shout out to Aaron for reporting a lot of bugs so I could fix them. Hurray! If you find a bug you can report it by posting on the forums. Then I'll fix it and you won't have to deal with it anymore. It's win-win!

Patch Notes
* Added Apple Tree. It's a tree that grows apples!
* Torch now has a different icon when it's not lit
* Certain survival debuffs now only show up on Hard/Bushido difficulty
* It now gets darker when it's raining

* Fixed error messages when loading an old save
* Fixed durability not showing on items
* Fixed broken items keeping their old icon
* Fixed durability not resetting properly on torches when they're re-lit
* Fixed durability decay on torches when not lit
* Fixed being unable to use containers on crops
* Fixed a threading error
* Fixed saplings falling through the ground
* Fixed camera clipping through walls
* Fixed being unable to drink from containers
* Fixed some appearance issues with hair
* Fixed an error message
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2018, 08:59:30 AM »

There's some new trees for you to cultivate deliciousness from.

A lemon tree and olive tree, great for making oil or even mayonnaise in some order.

I also fixed some problematic and evasive bugs, like how 1 in every 1000 or so towns would be missing important buildings. I'm sure the unlucky ones that encountered that won't be coming back!

Now let's all enjoy a refreshing lemon.

Patch Notes
* Added Lemon Tree
* Added Olive Tree
* Added Mayonnaise
* Fixed bug when placing trees that could cause them to die
* Fixed some seeds causing certain buildings to not spawn in town
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2018, 08:45:50 AM »

Weapon stands have been added so you can show off your collection or use them for decoration

Grapes have been added. There's no NPC to feed them to you while you relax on a couch though, you'll have to convince someone to do that.

Water blocks should look better and more accurately represent their volume.

Patch Notes
* Added Weapon Stand. Great for displaying your weapons instead of actually using them.
* Added Applejack
* Added Grape seeds
* Added Grape Wine
* Water blocks will now appear at the correct height for how full they are
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2018, 08:13:39 AM »

The male model has been added! At last the new player models are in. I'll be working on incorporating everything else using the new appearances.

You can now find maple trees in the world which can be tapped for their sap and then boiled for delicious maple syrup.

With the male model in I'll be spending a few weeks on fixes and polish in prep for our next major release!

Patch Notes
* Added new male model
* Added Journey Outfit, your default outfit for your new journey
* Added Maple trees
* Added Tree Tap, used to extract sap from maples
* Fixed ripples in differently sized water
* Fixed some holes in water
* Fixed mouselook in first person
* Fixed houses being a bit too elevated
* Fixed a case where solar stills could disappear
Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2018, 09:01:24 AM »

There's a new craft option to perform a field repair of your tools if you have an appropriate material. No more suddenly broken tools while you're out adventuring!

Your maple syrup can now be fermented in the keg

There's also a bunch of fixes to the male rig and customization. I'm currently working on getting all the appearance options in and getting it all fine-tuned enough to make a variety of different looks. I'll also be replacing everything with the new models, so it's important to ensure that there will be enough variety.

Patch Notes
* You can now repair your tools anywhere with a bar of the correct material
* Added Maple Vodka
* Fixed visual issue with GI at night on high
* Adjusted first person distance so you can still do a close-up on your face
* Fixed hair color
* Fatigue wounds accumulate faster without sleep but won't cause you to pass out. You'll just be very tired until you sleep.
* Fixed clothes in first person
LunaticDancer
Level 0

Unveil the curtains of sanity!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2018, 09:36:41 AM »

Damn man, this game looks relaxing!
Hoping to see it done Smiley

I'm only concerned about the programmer art, it's charming, but people will hate it.

Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2018, 11:08:47 AM »

I'm only concerned about the programmer art, it's charming, but people will hate it.

Yeah I'm concerned about it too, I've been trying to improve it where I can. Is there anything in particular that stands out to you?
LunaticDancer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2018, 11:38:44 AM »

Yeah I'm concerned about it too, I've been trying to improve it where I can. Is there anything in particular that stands out to you?

Mostly texture wrapping and quality, the humanoid models used to be terrible, but I can see they got better, and will pass if the rest of the game looks good. As for now, the screens have this sandy, dirty feel to it, and the whole looks like a cheap asset flip (a customer won't always know the map is generated). I'm giving you an honest outsider's look, but I'm still wishing you the best. I guess your real problem is, that you need a way more refined aesthetic style, as for this one is a very mixed bag of generic styles that don't work this well together. Don't be afraid to degrade the whole game to cartoonish/low poly, it may actually help. Of course do what you want, I don't know what's the full vision so I may be totally missing the mark.

Also, I think in the current market there's little place for a Minecraft clone, is there something new going for this game, that will differentiate it from the rest?

Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2018, 03:24:08 PM »

Mostly texture wrapping and quality, the humanoid models used to be terrible, but I can see they got better, and will pass if the rest of the game looks good. As for now, the screens have this sandy, dirty feel to it, and the whole looks like a cheap asset flip (a customer won't always know the map is generated). I'm giving you an honest outsider's look, but I'm still wishing you the best. I guess your real problem is, that you need a way more refined aesthetic style, as for this one is a very mixed bag of generic styles that don't work this well together. Don't be afraid to degrade the whole game to cartoonish/low poly, it may actually help. Of course do what you want, I don't know what's the full vision so I may be totally missing the mark.

Also, I think in the current market there's little place for a Minecraft clone, is there something new going for this game, that will differentiate it from the rest?

Good feedback, thank you! I'll try to make the textures a bit more bold and unified.

as for the Minecraft comparison:
The blocks aren't just cubes, there's actually unique shapes like wood planks and plaster siding, as well as new shapes like slopes and diagonals. The people have their own homes, schedules, jobs, and dialogue. There's an actual economy for buying and selling the things you farm or make that fluctuates and you can run your own shop to sell directly to customers. There's a slew of collection activities like insect catching, plants, cooking, mana, fishing with different types (and huge mythical fish to catch). Combat actually has a lock-on camera with attacking, blocking, and dodging with iframes and stamina as well as unique armor and weapon sets with their own appearances, attacks, timings, and stats. Actual furniture you can craft and decorate with instead of having to make do with blocks. A full research tree to make new discoveries and take you all the way from the stone age into the industrial age with new items and gadgets at each tier. An actual survival mode with scavenging, warmth, illness, and injury. Secrets and puzzles to find and solve in the world that give you upgrades to your health and inventory.  Full climbing up walls, a glider, and an airboard for surfing down mountains. Much more robust farming with a variety of plants, fertilizing, and quality as well as an EV system for breeding plants and animals to improve them through experimentation. Useful building tools like a drill, a line tool, fill tool, extrusion and cubes that are available to craft. In-game holidays and special events. More types of produce, things to do with animals, and types of animals that produce, you can also hug your animals. A more realistic and diverse ore and refinement system.
LunaticDancer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2018, 11:37:34 PM »

So it's an undercooked Dwarf Fortress's Adventure Mode Grin
It sounds like something I'd play. I guess there's no Multiplayer planned? (I know, the dreaded m-word is offensive for many of us developers Grin)

Kassoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2018, 07:21:37 AM »

So it's an undercooked Dwarf Fortress's Adventure Mode Grin
It sounds like something I'd play. I guess there's no Multiplayer planned? (I know, the dreaded m-word is offensive for many of us developers Grin)

Yeah DF is one of my inspirations, it uses a fully fledged ore and smelting system based on real-world concentrations (like sphalerite -> zinc and iron) and a similar materials system where you can choose to build stuff out of different metals

There's multiplayer, it's already in. There's a server browser or you can direct connect to IP or play over LAN.

Right now my focus is on fixes and polish (which will include art changes) after which I'll be going to beta
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic