Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:12:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs3D Platform Game: Suzy Cube
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: 3D Platform Game: Suzy Cube  (Read 42324 times)
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »

It's here!!
SUZY CUBE IS NOW AVAILABLE

You can get info and links to the Steam, iOS and Android versions at: http://suzycube.com

Thanks to everyone who has supported the project over the years!  Cry I can't thank you enough for getting me through the blocks and pushing me to persevere! Now what are you waiting for!? Go check out the game!!!

<What follows is the original first post. I wanted to preserve it for posterity!>
Super excited to start sharing news about this game I'm working on called Suzy Cube! It's a 3D platform game targeting iOS first. I'm taking a lot of cues from Super Mario 3D Land for this game. Man I love SM3DL. I was never a huge fan of the 3D Mario games, but 3D Land's mix of 3D + the level structure of the 2D games.. love it! Anyway, I'm going to be blogging about it over at http://louardongames.blogspot.com but also plan to cross post cool developments here starting with a handful of gifs of little Suzy in action.

These blocks are only visible when Suzy is close. Trick is, the collision volume is unaffected, only the visible mesh disappears and appears.

Good old crumbling blocks! The clever thing here is that the collision is actually deactivated a little after the block collapses so the player has time to notice the collapse and still jump to safety.

Wrote a waypoint based mover script and a follower mover script. Voltron together into... Tada! A snake!

And Finally, some jump pad variations. Simple jump pad, a bounce pad that allows you to jump higher with each bounce, a jump activated spring board and one you need to ground pound (with the helmet power up) in order to lock into place.

Well, that's going to be it for this update. I am working on the game full time now so I hope to have pretty nice updates every week. See you then!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 07:16:13 PM by Louard » Logged

-Louard
louardongames.blogspot.com
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 08:39:39 AM »

I've started work on a new level, level 3-3. Why not level 1-2? Well, I won't get into it but I wrote all about that on my blog.

The level is lava themed with various timed obstacles that move to the music (some slight bugs to fix regarding this...) I also implemented a simple lava plane which follows the camera in X and Z but keeps a fixed Y height, giving the impression of the lava going on infinitely.

I also did some work on some generic stuff that isn't necessarily for level 3-3, like a ghost enemy which will chase you by following everywhere you've been and some retracting spikes which can have their timing easily offest for cool effects.

As always you can get more info about this on my blog. Let's look at some gifs!

-Louard
Ulydev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 09:45:11 AM »

Awesome work so far ! There definitely is a Mario vibe in here. I'm curious about which engine you're using Smiley
bencelot
Level 0

http://geneshift.net - my sexy top-down shooter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 10:46:27 AM »

Looks like fun! But how zoomed in is the screen? Are those gifs the entire screen or just a zoomed in section? If it's the entire screen it might be a bit hard to see where you're going.

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 04:55:06 PM »

Its cool to see a game taking inspiration from Mario 3D Land.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 05:17:41 PM »

Your main character looks almost identical to my main character from my last Ludum Dare participation! How crazy is that?

(Also your game looks cool!)

Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 06:37:42 PM »

Ulydev: Thanks so much! I'm using Unity.
Bencelot: Don't worry, it is a cropped view. I think I've got a screenshot of a more typical view on my blog.
Quicksand-T: I know, right!? I friggin' love that game! I know it's not very original, but I really inspired me.
ProgramGamer: Crossover = Done!

Lots of people refer to her ears, but those are meant to be square hair buns.

-Louard
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 09:50:10 AM »

I don't have time for a big update this week so I'll just refer you all to my update post on my blog (bad form, I know!): http://louardongames.blogspot.com/2015/09/suzy-cube-update-friday-september-4-2015.html

But here's a TLDR for the rest of you:
Still working on Level 3-3.. it's taking a long time!
Worked on projectiles and cannons!

-Louard
lululuprimal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 01:27:26 PM »

Looks adorable!!

Lydia Primate
[email protected]
Game music composer, singer, songwriter, performer
https://soundcloud.com/lydiaprimate1
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 02:28:16 PM »

I really like the look of this.   Coffee

Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 11:02:24 AM »

Thanks, guys! You kind words help me press on!

-Louard
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 08:39:40 AM »

Soooo... This week's update is kind of a bummer. I've spent most of the week working on the game's final boss/template for all boss fights and I'm considering scrapping my work... Ya... The rig needs to be redone to be easier to use, I'm not really in love with the boss' design.. I don't know. I'll mull it over this weekend and see what I decide to moving forward.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about my week.

I've also been plagued with the usual list of Unity upgrade bugs after installing 5.2. The worse two only seem to affect my target device (iPod Touch 5th Gen) causing my lightmaps to display without filtering (blocky... and no, it does NOT fit the style) and the other essentially cutting my carefully maintained 60fps in half!

So, in order not to leave you all on a sour note, I invite you to check out my latest "Lessons from Suzy" post about how I'm avoiding ambiguous jumps in the game:
http://louardongames.blogspot.com/2015/09/lessons-from-suzy-cube-measuring-up.html

TLDR:

-Louard
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 11:17:22 AM »

This looks amazing, definitely want to keep an eye on this!

Fingers crossed you are able to release it on PC, but for now just keep working on whatever platform is most comfortable for you Smiley

Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 12:24:03 PM »

This looks amazing, definitely want to keep an eye on this!

Fingers crossed you are able to release it on PC, but for now just keep working on whatever platform is most comfortable for you Smiley

Thanks Ishi! Leilani's Island is looking super sweet too BTW! Which platforms are you targeting?

As for a PC release.. I'm not closing the door on any platforms this early in development. The only really obstacles are points of sale and any platform specific features I decide to include. But for the initial release, I'm concentrating on iOS.

-Louard
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 01:40:02 PM »

This is so cute! Excited about it. c:

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 04:50:55 AM »

Thanks Ishi! Leilani's Island is looking super sweet too BTW! Which platforms are you targeting?

Thanks Smiley it's early days for me too so no definite plans yet. Just PC at the moment - will probably sell it on itch.io or something like that.

ThilDuncan
Level 0

Indie Developer at Ghost Town Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 05:00:02 AM »

Really enjoyed the jump pad gifs, nice to see so much variation : ) also really like the dragon-snake :D
Is there any kind of story or context for the game that you have planned? or will it be a fairly light 'collect all the things' type affair? (Which is cool too, never bothered me a jot in mario)

Threepwood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 05:25:04 AM »

This looks so adorable ! I really like the animations.

Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 07:48:30 AM »

Really enjoyed the jump pad gifs, nice to see so much variation : ) also really like the dragon-snake :D
Is there any kind of story or context for the game that you have planned? or will it be a fairly light 'collect all the things' type affair? (Which is cool too, never bothered me a jot in mario)

Not much of a story, no... Maybe something about the bad guys running through town and stealing everyone's gold coins so Suzy sets off to get them back from the bulies who took them... I was batting around an idea for a trailer down the road which would play on the idea that Suzy is helping by essentially running off and grabbing all the coins for herself ^_^

So.. short version, nope no real story. Just some fun levels full of fun challenges.

-Louard
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 07:19:57 AM »

It's good news this week! I've redesigned the boss! Remodelled and rigged it too! I've made a good bit of progress on the animations as well, which has been fun! My education was in traditional animation, so it's always good to have the opportunity to roll up my sleeves and breath some life into a model.

Since this version of the boss has way less body segments than the old one (4 instead of 11) and that those body segments are simpler than the old ones (no spikes), I was able to put much more geometry in the head while still coming out of it using WAY less verts than the old model (624 compared to 2414!), yay!

I also decided to forego the blend shapes for this new version as well, getting better results by simply rigging the brow up to three bones, left, middle and right. Here's an animation of the boss getting bopped on the head! Remember, bosses must always be mad and/or incredulous when you score a hit on them!

Next week will be more animations as I'm only about half way through the list so far!

See you next week!

-Louard
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic