Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:45:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs3D Platform Game: Suzy Cube
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17
Print
Author Topic: 3D Platform Game: Suzy Cube  (Read 44386 times)
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: August 25, 2017, 09:35:34 PM »

Congrats on going with Noodlecake!

I know, right!? Tweaking physics settings!? Well, thanks to a recent post on the Unity blog, I was given a better understanding of what certain settings do.
Could you post the url?

Sure thing!
https://blogs.unity3d.com/2017/08/10/spotlight-team-best-practices-project-setup/

-Louard
louardongames.blogspot.com
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: August 25, 2017, 09:36:58 PM »

Congrats on getting a publisher!

Also, with Noodlecake helping with porting

This is exciting, are you able to say what the new platform(s) are?

Sorry, Ishi, but no. Not ready to announce anything yet... Though.. mobile in a broader sense is looking way more likely now ^_~

-Louard
freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: August 26, 2017, 01:11:39 AM »

oh. nice idea!

My last game:

Supporter of
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: September 01, 2017, 05:48:42 AM »

Been busy redesigning Level 3-2 this week.

I know, I know... I said I was done with levels... But when you gotta do it, you gotta do it! So, "why?", then you ask... The old design, lacked a good memorable hook. It's only defining characteristic was that it was played entirely from a side view and I just didn't feel that was enough.

This new design still has you, essentially, playing in 2D, but requires that you flip between the front and back section of each room in order to proceed by hitting switches etc. I also like how this new design, with its central room and light puzzle elements calls back to the World 2 pyramid themed level.

So, what about the old design? Well, since it was a complete level, I would hate to just scrap it, so I plan on reusing it as a Special World level.

"But if it wasn't good enough for the main game, why would it be good enough for the Special World!?" I hear you screaming at your monitor. The issue with the old design wasn't that it was bad, I just didn't feel it was distinct enough. I want all the main levels to be memorable and offer a bit of a different experience. The old Level 3-2 was a fine level, it just had a bit of a week hook, that's all. Since my goal with the Special World levels is to offer challenge over variety, I can use the old level as a starting point and build in some extra challenge for the expert players who manage to unlock it.

Well, I've still got some work to do on this new level. I've got coins and other pick-ups to add and the ending section still isn't build. So on that note, I bid you farewell and until next time!

-Louard
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: September 08, 2017, 09:02:50 AM »

This week's update is focused on level improvements and a bit of spruced up effects.

As I'm currently coordinating with Noodlecake to get them set up and contributing to the project, I decided to simply address simple bugs and cosmetic issues this week. I did, however, complete design work on Level 3-2, seen above. All that was needed was for me to add some collectibles and add the darkness gradients around the outside to complete the effect of spelunking into an ancient tomb!

I decided to start decorating some of the more solid levels of the game to the level of decoration found in the World 1 levels. First to get this treatment has been Level 1-4 (formerly 2-3). The level has been in good shape, design wise, for a while now so I felt confident getting in there and adding some decorative props. I also added and tweaked some camera triggers for a more polished experience.

Level 5-3 didn't get a decoration pass but I did give it some attention, adding more coins to the level to allow players more opportunities to earn extra lives.

I also tweaked one of the jumping challenges late in the level which had been proving problematic with testers for a while now. Even I had a hard time avoiding the spikes in there old configuration. I think this new setup is much more fair.

Finally, I spent a little time tweaking a couple of effects related to Suzy herself. One was Suzy's spawn in sequence.

The change is subtle, but those little shockwaves as the Spawn Box bounces coincide with a bouncing sound which adds life to the previously silent sequence.

Suzy's death also got a little extra touch up for the first time since... Forever, actually! Again, the changes are subtle, but where the old effect only included the cubes, this new version has some extra little flourishes for good measure.

That's it for this week's update. I've got some stuff lined up for next week, but I don't want to make any promises. Noodlecake and I had a Skype meeting to discuss scheduling and it looks like Monday will be devoted to getting them access to my project repository so they can download everything on their side and get it uploaded to their own local repository. Once we've confirmed we can both still build the game locally from the new project we will be scheduling a formal kickoff meeting for the project. Given that I have no idea how any of this is going to go, I can't really guarantee what else I'll get around to next week. No matter what, I invite you all back here to find out!

-Louard
PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: September 08, 2017, 09:15:18 AM »

It's looking great! Been a long time since I checked this out. Good work!  Toast Right

Twitter: @pbergmar
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: September 15, 2017, 08:35:36 AM »

So, just this morning, I was able to run the game from the version downloaded from Noodlecake's Git repo! Big step! This means we can now all start contributing to the project.. Though I haven't tried pushing changes yet... Soon...

Once I had to, basically, lock in changes so Noodlecake could take over the project, I took the opportunity to work on some translation. I finished off the French and continued to working back and forth with a buddy of mine on the German.

I also wrote a couple of pieces for the ol' blog. One is an analogy for anyone having trouble over-polishing aspects of their game the player will never notice:
https://louardongames.blogspot.com/2017/09/the-pyramid-of-polish-recognising.html

The other is my latest entry in the long neglected Lessons from Suzy Cube series:
https://louardongames.blogspot.com/2017/09/lessons-from-suzy-cube-level-1-1-how.html

In other news. Before locking things down for the SVN to Git handoff, I did get around to some level improvements and decoration.

My recent redesign of level 3-2 has proven somewhat problematic in the hands of testers so I made some changes which will, hopefully, help players who were getting lost. I added some teleporter shortcuts to cut down on backtracking.

For Level 5-2, I changed up a section where the player must run over a series of platforms which only appear in the nick of time. The issue being that testers were being too timid and there's a big rolling snowball relentlessly chasing Suzy the whole time.

I had, originally, placed a single coin on each platform, but I decided to add an additional coin between them to further highlight the safe path. Lesson: If your player is being chased by a big deadly snowball, it's too much to ask them to notice subtle clues.

And four gussied up levels...

Well, that's it for this week's update. I'm off to see if I remember hot to use Git! See you all next week!

-Louard
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: September 15, 2017, 08:36:17 AM »

It's looking great! Been a long time since I checked this out. Good work!  Toast Right

Why thank you! It's very nice of you to check back in and say so!

-Louard
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: September 22, 2017, 07:30:17 AM »

A shorty this week. Check my blog post if you want more details:
https://louardongames.blogspot.com/2017/09/suzy-cube-update-september-22-2017.html

For the rest of you... This week was mostly spent decorating a couple levels. I lost a day to some first aid training but still managed to finish off a decoration pass on World 3..

Level 3-3 got a bunch of doodads and greebles thrown about. I know it probably looks pretty mindless, but I'm always careful not to let the decorations interfere with gameplay. Whenever possible, in fact, I strive to enhance the gameplay with the use of props. The patches of dark stones, of instance, should help to highlight the way forward.

The narrow walkways of the World 3 boss level made decoration a bit trickier. It was, basically, impossible to add any props to the walkways without getting in the player's way. I ended up opting for rocky blocks on the back wall and the occasional snow patch along the path. At least the goal area got a few decorative touches to compensate.

Finally, I messed up my timezones and flaked on my meeting with Noodlecake...  Embarrassed
After much apologizing, we've rescheduled for Monday. I'm excited and anxious to start working in parallel with them to see how their contributions will help the game along.
Well, that's all I've got for you folks this week. See you all next time!

-Louard
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: October 20, 2017, 07:51:43 AM »

Last week in Canada, so this update's gonna be pretty short, but I did squeeze tiny bits of work in here and there.

One such bit of work was actually prompted by a friend from Breakfall. I was over at their HQ, taking up space and totally disrupting their work day, when their sound guy/level designer, Mike, pointed out that these two crushers on Level 4-3 should really be timed differently. Even though I had to try and figure out some obtuse setup from over a year ago, I knew Mike was right. So, I bit the bullet and made the change.

It made much more sense to swap the timing.

I also had the opportunity to talk about the game at a meetup hosted by local Ottawa dev group, The Dirty Rectangles.

I, essentially gave a compressed talk on four of my Lessons from Suzy Cube articles. I touched on things like controls, the camera and the particularities of Level 1-1. I think it went well. Most importantly, I got to touch base with a number of folks I only get to see on Twitter these days.

Like I said, short update. Mostly wanted to make sure everyone knew I was still alive. I should be back to work as usual by next Friday's update. See you all then!

-Louard
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: October 27, 2017, 09:24:47 AM »

Strapped for time so I'm copy pasta from my blog post...

Another shorty this week. Small improvements and rewriting a better version of something which worked ok before.

Sorry for the light work week folks. We've had internet issues and we are planning a big Halloween party! That said, here's what I did get up to this week.

Marital Miss

I want to open this one with a story...

It's late, my wife and I are in Panama, at the airport, waiting for our flight back to Caracas. We've been there for a while and she asks to play Suzy Cube. This does not happen. I have no intention of passing up the opportunity to gather data on a novice player's experience with the game. Things went totally fine until the second level where she had a lot of trouble with the bit pictured above involving three jump-pads. Keep in mind, this part is near the end of the level and she's had little issue with the countless jump-pads before these ones. That first jump from the bottom to the middle was her white whale. I ended up taking the phone from her and trying it myself. For the life of me, I couldn't reproduce the trouble she was having. Honestly, watching her struggle, I didn't really get what she was doing "wrong".

The lesson here, fellow designers, as always, is that there is no substitute for putting your game in the hands of players, of all skill levels. I ended up adjusting the strength of the jump-pads to help alleviate the issue. I'll have to hand it to her again to see it I was successful.

She also ran into issues with the camera in this area which helped me find a bug in the camera triggers in this bit of the level. Hurray for testing!

Déjà Vu

And the rest of my week was spent working on something I thought would take me an afternoon to finish.

For a long while now, the game has included what I call "Coin Sequences". Usually triggered by jumping through a ring, a series of coins would appear and could grant some reward for their collection. These sequences were often on a timer for added challenge.

They worked fine, but were a pain to setup because they were built from generic triggers all sending messages back and forth to each other. All kind of a mess. This meant that I used them sparingly and would sometimes find an issue with one which I then had to go and manually fix in all the others throughout the game.

The straw that broke the camel's back came in the form of a visual flourish I thought was missing. Though the coins would appear in order in the sequence, one at a time, if some of the coins were off screen, the whole effect lacked directionality. Furthermore, there was often nothing to connect the collection of the coins to the reward once activated, especially if the coins were collected out of order. I wanted to add a trail effect.

And here it is! As you can see, the bouncing trail gives a great sense of directionality and motion to the spawning of the coins. When all coins are collected, a final trail is spawned from the location of the final collected coin to the location of the reward, serving to tie the actions together.

When I decided to go ahead and add this trail functionality, I took the opportunity to write a custom script just to handle these types of coin sequences. What seemed, at first, like a quick and easy task turned out to be quite a bit more work than I had anticipated. The issue mostly stemmed from me repeatedly realizing I had forgotten some piece of functionality. After all, the whole point of this new approach was to have it handle any type of coin sequence I needed. Among other things, they had to support using a timer or not, a reward or not, playing a sound which pitches up at each coin collected... Or not, etc.

In the end, I think I spent a couple days on the script and then a day more going through all the game's levels and replacing the old clunky coin sequences by the new slick ones. I will just take solace in the belief that every little improvement helps.

Well, there you have it, my week in a nutshell! I also wrote an email to Noodlecake asking how we should proceed going forward. I feel I've not been managing their end of things very well and I want to make sure I'm involved and giving them all the support they need to move forward.

On that, I wish you all a great weekend. And if you are platform game fans, which I assume you are, I wish you much Mario Odyssey and A Hat in Time! I've heard amazing things about both.

-Louard
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: November 03, 2017, 06:32:07 AM »

I was more distracted that I thought I would be this week, though I did get some good work done on some special levels!

First off, what do I mean by "special"? In Suzy Cube, a special level could mean 2 things, either a Special Level, one of which can be unlocked in each World, or a level of the Special World, which are unlocked by finding all the Stars hidden in the game's regular Worlds.

The Special levels are all kind of abstract and set in this weird purply setting. To which I recently added floating colourful particles for added depth and decoration.

These levels are meant to break up the action of the game's regular levels with small offbeat challenges which can earn you extra Stars.

The Special World levels, on the other hand, are meant to challenge the game's most dedicated players.

Whereas the game's regular levels are meant to skew a bit on the easy side and offer an experience with broader appeal, the Special World level's are meant to be challenging, even for me!

Not, like, controller twistingly hard or anything, but I want to have to play my best to beat them. This is in stark contrast to most of the game's regular levels which, over the years, have become a total cakewalk for me.

That's that for now. I've started talks with Noodlecake about how we'll be handling the game's narrative, so I hope I'll have something to share about that soon. As for the immediate future, expect more work on Special World levels and thus, more blurry screenshots as I don't want to spoil 'em for folks.

See you next week!

-Louard
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: November 10, 2017, 06:55:09 AM »

This week, I finished off work on Levels S-1 and S-5 and made some good progress on Level S-4, which is a night time remix of an existing level.

Before I get into that, I wanted to share a little screen with you guys from Level S-5. I know I said I wouldn't spoil anything about these Special World levels, but I wanted to throw you guys a bone.

This guy, the Chaser Ghost, will be harassing your ass all the way through Level S-5. It's behaviour is simple, it follows all of Suzy's movements on a delay, forcing you to always keep moving lest it catch up and get you! Here's a super old gif from when I originally implemented it.

Even though it's been functional for years, I haven't used it until now. It adds quite a bit of pressure, so I haven't felt it right to use it in the game's regular levels. It's just right for the Special World, though!

Ok, so, remixing existing levels. I figure this is going to be unpopular with some folks. I know Super Mario 3D Land certainly caught flak for its reuse of levels in the post-completion portion of the game.

Hey, I get it, brand new content is always more interesting, but since I'm working on my own, remixing existing levels for some of my Special World stages will allow me to deliver more content at a higher quality while also allowing me to experiment with challenges that would have been too demanding in the regular versions of the levels. So, with that, I present to you, Level S-4.

Keen eyed testers may be able to recognise the level used as the scaffolding from its shape. It certainly won't be from the colour scheme as I've created new variations of the background and lighting to give the level it's own visual identity.

Though the level retains most of its original structure a number of platforms have been moved or removed and enemies and hazards have been shuffled around and added too. All Star locations are also different from the original level, of course!

And, finally, a bug with a happy ending.

I thought I had some weird loading/saving bugs in both my Save Slot scene and my Level Select scene because Star totals weren't matching up and there was garbage data left over after deleting a save slot. In the end, I only had a simple bug in the function used to loop through the worlds when loading and deleting Save Slot data.

If your game has five worlds numbered 1 to 5, make sure you're not looping from 0 to 4...

And on that silly tidbit, I bid you farewell and until next week when I hope to have progressed on Level S-4 but will be focused on collaborating with Noodlecake to implement achievements and leaderboards. Ciao!

-Louard
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: November 17, 2017, 07:25:13 AM »

Spent most of this week implementing my end of things for adding support for achievements and leaderboards. These were features I had cut early on in the project but with the support of an experienced publisher like Noodlecake, I've been able to rescope things and include them once more.

My part in this has been to create the hooks in game to actually catch the instances when achievements should be awarded as well as tally up the best times to send to the leaderboards. I've been routing everything through a simple relay script which gets the messages from the game and will be adding calls to Noodlecake's side of things once it's all ready. In turn, their systems will take care of communicating with the appropriate platform specific services. As for my part, the debug log points to everything working as intended, so I think we're in good shape.

Once I had the cheevos and leaderboredz stuff up and running, I turned my attention back to Special World levels.

I completed work on Level S-4. The end bit is a doozy ^_~... And also started work on Level S-7...

I didn't bother blurring this one out since it's a remix of an existing stage and I haven't made any functional changes yet. What I have done is edit the existing lava theme of the original level into this new, sickly, toxic theme!

Well, there you have it, short and sweet. Check back in next week for an update on leaderboard and achievements support and more blurry screenshots of Special World levels!

-Louard
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: November 24, 2017, 09:26:37 AM »

Hey, folks! So, no word yet on functional social features, so I retreated into the cozy comfort of level design.

On Monday, upon replaying Level S-7 with fresh eyes, I ended up making some more changes and improvements. Now it's done... Probably...

I also spent some time making a new skybox for special stages. They used to all be set in a featureless purple void.

They are now set in a MOSTLY featureless purple void ^_^.
 It's just a little extra touch of polish that I had convinced myself the game didn't need until now.

Finally, I decided to spend the last couple days on level decoration. I'm concentrating on the game's final boss level. It's taking a little longer than with most levels just cuz the level is so large.

It's not gigantic or anything, just a bit more epic than the game's regular levels. I should be done with this decoration pass next Monday.

As for next week, I really don't know for sure. Probably more work on Special World levels and decoration work. See you then!

-Louard
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: December 01, 2017, 07:52:14 AM »

Let's switch things up compared to my blog post this week and tackle the actual interesting news first.

I was hit by a bus.

Yep, Tuesday morning, on foot, while crossing an intersection just at a corner near the embassy. I had the green light, someone had already crossed before me and yet an incoming bus saw no reason to slow down and BAM! I got hit.

It was all caught on the embassy security cameras and I'm told, by those who saw the tape (my wife included), that I was very lucky not to be any farther into the intersection.

I'm fine, just scrapes, bruises and sprains. Rumour has it the bus exploded on impact killing everyone aboard, though. I had the light, I'm not even sorry.

So, that was Tuesday shot! I spent the whole day at the clinic/hospital.

In spite of this,  a productive week! (or maybe because of it... Doc said to stay off the ankle)
Two more Special World levels in the bag, though I did cheat a little by reviving cut levels.

First is a snow themed level with a more sprawling, exploratory feel than most other levels in the game.

It didn't make the cut as a regular level because it did a bad job of introducing switch activated temporary blocks which was what the level was supposed to be about.
I still liked the core concept of the level, though, and it is quite unique in feel. I'm glad I found a place for it.

It even has a cave to run through!

The other level has barely gone through any changes from it's original design.

When I cut this one in favour of a level with a stronger gimmick, I always kinda knew it was going to make it into the Special World. Again, a good level, a complete level, which simply didn't fit strongly enough into the main game. Why waste a perfectly good and tested design? Bam! Special World!

Well, there you have it folks. This week's lessons:
1. Keep copies of your drafts, because they may come in handy and 2. I'm the man of steel.

See you next week!

-Louard
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: December 01, 2017, 08:14:39 AM »

Glad you are ok! Always makes me happy to see the Suzy devlog post each week, it's very reliable, even when buses are involved. Coffee

Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: December 01, 2017, 08:17:56 AM »

Thanks, Ishi! Was just catching up on Leilani when I saw your reply.
Gonna take more than a measly bus to keep Suzy from happening!

-Louard
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: December 08, 2017, 06:19:25 AM »

(Short on time, reposting from blog)

Gotta make this one quick as I need to help my wife with some last minute stuff for an Embassy reception this afternoon.

Polishing Up
My early week was spent crossing T's and dotting I's on Level S-3 and continuing to decorate main world levels. Part of this process is to look at the packing density of the lightmaps on levels after decoration to try and squeeze the most lighting resolution into a single 2048x2048 texture.

Still some room left...

The process is a bit tedious as it, usually, entails me bumping up the lightmap resolution, baking (takes several minutes) and discovering I've still got space on the texture or that the lightmaps have spilled onto a second texture... At that point, I've got to adjust my resolution up or down a bit accordingly and hit bake again. I repeat this process until I get ideal results or I get sick of waiting for bakes.

Jump on down... What could possibly go wrong?

Here, we see a shot of the opening of Level 3-2, now all decorated up. The lightmap above is actually from this very level. As I write this, I'm running another bake at a slightly higher resolution to see if I can further minimize the artifacts.

Moar Levels!
I've started the design of Level S-10 as well. It should be a fun departure from what the game has had to offer so far. I think I'm going to have fun working on this one.

I also gave all the Special World levels a thorough play through on my phone noting a number of small tweaks I'm going to have to make to improve performance and playability. I sometimes don't test on the touch screen as often as I should, but fear not, I am 100% committed to the lofty goal of making the experience on touchscreens top notch!

Technicolour
And, finally, I had a call with Noodlecake this week to discuss, amongst other things, the look of the game. Late last week, I received an email containing some mockups from their graphic designer. I won't lie, I was taken aback by the audacity to mess with my graphical perfection at first, but once I let things sink in, and following a very productive call, I'm feeling better than ever that partnering with them was a great move.

A big part of the call was discussing the overhaul of the menus, of which Noodlecake have agreed to take ownership. The mockups I received were quite a departure from my current menu designs, but after a very productive discussion, I think they are going to turn out great! Once we have something we're happy with, I'll show it off here. I think folks will be pleased!

What I am going to show off now, though, are some of the initial steps I've taken to address their concerns about the muted colour tones I've been using. It might be somewhat visible in the screenshots above, but we'll be moving to slightly more vivid and saturated tones to, as they said, "better match the tone and fun of the gameplay."

Here are a couple of before and after shots:

before

after

It's not an Earth shattering change, but we are looking at a warmer and slightly more vibrant colour palette along with a more saturated but out-of-focus background.

More pop!

Along with these changes, we've also decided to experiment with a more pronounced vignetting effect and starker, whiter, texturing on Suzy herself to make her pop more.

Well, I guess, I failed on that 'quick update' goal. Much like face to face, once you get me going about Suzy Cube, it's hard to shut my yap trap! Next week, I'll be propagating more of these graphical colour tweaks to the rest of the game's levels and continuing (and hopefully completing) the design on Level S-10.

I guess that'll do it! See you all next week!

-Louard
Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: December 08, 2017, 06:53:30 AM »

It's good news this week! I've redesigned the boss! Remodelled and rigged it too! I've made a good bit of progress on the animations as well, which has been fun! My education was in traditional animation, so it's always good to have the opportunity to roll up my sleeves and breath some life into a model.

Since this version of the boss has way less body segments than the old one (4 instead of 11) and that those body segments are simpler than the old ones (no spikes), I was able to put much more geometry in the head while still coming out of it using WAY less verts than the old model (624 compared to 2414!), yay!

I also decided to forego the blend shapes for this new version as well, getting better results by simply rigging the brow up to three bones, left, middle and right. Here's an animation of the boss getting bopped on the head! Remember, bosses must always be mad and/or incredulous when you score a hit on them!

Next week will be more animations as I'm only about half way through the list so far!

See you next week!

Omg do you get make friends with it post fight? :D

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic