Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:28:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDeduction - Logic Puzzles (currently on hold)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Deduction - Logic Puzzles (currently on hold)  (Read 13279 times)
grayhaze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2015, 01:34:10 PM »

I just cross-posted to the Playtesting forum in an effort to get a few more people playing. I'll try to keep the initial post in that thread updated with the most recent test build if anyone wants an easier way of finding it.

I also realised that I hadn't actually introduced myself properly on the forum, so I've righted that wrong. Smiley

Not much more to report at the moment, as I'm mostly optimising my spaghetti code.

grayhaze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2016, 03:46:41 PM »

It's been a long time since my last update and progress on the game has been slow. The following progress has been made since the last entry:

• Optimised the game to reduce memory overhead
  • Improved the puzzle generation algorithm with more possible moves
  • Implemented randomised puzzle tilemaps, allowing for a variety of puzzle shapes
  • Created my own more legible font for the logo, letter, number and numeral symbols
  • Added a debug option to toggle the game board zooming
  • Tweaked the colours of the tiles to make them a little less luminous
  • Swapped out the clue description font for a free Google font (this will likely be changed again at some point)

Here you can see an example of the random tilemap generation:

I believe I'm the first person to actually implement non-square puzzles of this type, so I'm quite excited by the possibilities this offers. I'll likely use this to build a sequence of hand-crafted level shapes in the final game, but still make the configuration of the symbols within each shape random to keep things interesting.

I still have a lot of optimisation to do on the game, as currently it's only running at a consistent 25fps on mobile devices. I  hope to get it up nearer 60fps as I approach release. A lot of the slowdown has to do with the slightly stupid way I'm building and drawing the tiles, so this is something I'll be working on shortly.

Here's a Windows download of the current debug version for everyone to have a play with: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nyix5bhdz23lvap/Deduction%20v0.3.zip?dl=0 This demo has now expired. I'll upload a new one once development resumes.

And yes, I know people still want an undo function. I still haven't forgotten.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:33:33 AM by grayhaze » Logged

grayhaze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2016, 06:34:09 AM »

I'm taking another short break from gamedev for a while to brush up on my day job skills, but I haven't dropped the project. In fact, I've been working hard on rebuilding the whole engine with better performance and more polished visuals. Nothing to show yet, but I'll update again in a few weeks once I'm back to working on this at full tilt.

a-k-
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2016, 01:28:30 PM »

The game doesn't seem to work on my computer, the window opens for a few seconds and then closes automatically.

grayhaze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2016, 01:36:04 AM »

The game doesn't seem to work on my computer, the window opens for a few seconds and then closes automatically.

This is because the demo versions I put out have an expiry date on them. I'll upload a new demo once development resumes.

grayhaze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2016, 12:28:15 AM »

Just a quick note to say that although I have been working on Deduction in silence for a couple of months, mostly redoing the puzzle generation code to produce much more interesting puzzles, I've decided to take a small break to work on a new puzzle arcade game called Viper Piper.

I was quickly becoming burnt out working on Deduction, as there were a number of big things I wasn't happy with which needed reworking. Hopefully this short break will give me the motivation to come back and work on this with renewed passion.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic