Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:44:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingHow to Become a Game Writer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to Become a Game Writer  (Read 1589 times)
FiveStarGeneral
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2015, 10:50:53 PM »

Hi,
I am a student and aspiring game narrative writer and am wondering what kinds of things I should be doing in order to join game companies like Bungie or Blizzard. I don't mean things like practicing my writing, thinking about world-building, analyzing games, etc (these are a given), but rather stuff I should do to get noticed i.e. sending them writing samples/joining indie projects?
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!
faunsforest
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 05:23:49 AM »

To me it sounds like being a director, kind of. Maybe upon writing a script you can do so to have a linear storyline, believable scenario that can happen in your life. Or maybe you do not want that. Also, you can focus on a lot of subelements. For a more diffuse storyline, seen a lot lately, you can give the player small hints to puzzle together a story themselves. Basing alot on the player him/herself.

As a good practice, try to write different scenarios on paper and pick one. When that is done, try to divide that scenario up and polish the little details.

But I can't say I am good at stories myself. Logically though, that could be good practice.
Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 03:42:33 AM »

Maybe even more obvious than the activities mentioned above, but probably the most critical one: Make games with a lot of narrative in them.

If you are not a programmer, then Twine is probably the best place to start.

Monstro
Level 0

Writer. Running late but moving quickly

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 04:55:49 AM »

Write games. It's as simple and as difficult as that.

Twine is indeed an excellent place to start. Write your own stories, write prototypes, write scenes, experiment with interactive narrative. Learn what works, what doesn't. Hook up with indie teams and get experience collaborating (small, unambitious projects with a tight roadmap are the best bets).

A big studio is unlikely to even look at you if you don't have some impressive credits in your portfolio. You might get lucky with a competition entry, or meeting the right person on the right day. But the stronger your games writing CV, the better you look on paper, the more likely you are to get big projects.

Don't assume that games writing is just writing text for games. That's like saying that learning C++ makes you a games programmer. Learn about game design. Learn about plot and structure. Write flash fiction which surprises readers with a clever plot twist.

All the obvious stuff also applies. Develop your skills, nurture your talent. Network. Research. Present yourself professionally. Get a reputation and/or a following in an online community.

But ulimately, you just need to write games.

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 02:35:03 AM »

Personally I got into games writing through being a game designer, and I got into being a game designer through being a pixel artist. Get into the industry via any means you can and then just let everyone know that you do writing so that when they find themselves needing someone for a spot of writing, they know who to throw a bone to (that's basically what happened with me, because as a salaried employee you'll be a crap-ton cheaper than hiring an external writer).

Oh, and as Monstro said, be multi-skilled. A writer who doesn't know about game design is no use at all.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
TamaraRyan
Level 0

none

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 11:30:39 AM »

Personally I got into games writing through being a game designer, and I got into being a game designer through being a pixel artist. Get into the industry via any means you can and then just let everyone know that you do writing so that when they find themselves needing someone for a spot of writing, they know who to throw a bone to (that's basically what happened with me, because as a salaried employee you'll be a crap-ton cheaper than hiring an external writer).

Oh, and as Monstro said, be multi-skilled. A writer who doesn't know about game design is no use at all.

What he said. I find with most positions within the indiedev industry, you have to know how to do more than one thing. Since budgets are small, the people that tend to get hired are the ones who can wear a lot of hats.

Professional Voice Actress at your service: http://www.tamararyanvo.com/
Abatron - a FPS/RTS hybrid game: http://www.abatrongame.com/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic