Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:44:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTunnelshock - open world survival horror game
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Tunnelshock - open world survival horror game  (Read 5356 times)
robgacu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 07:41:29 PM »

Hi, due to work I had to actually stop working in the game for a few months, but now I can keep making updates, I think I have been strugling working in this game because I thought of a cool setting to make a game but not a defined gameplay loop.

So even if I haven't advanced much in programing I have been refining the concept to make more clear how many levels, enemies, weapons and assets I'm going to need to finish it, and which are the pillars of the game to know where I can cut features.

So the pillars of the game are:

• Resource managment
  • Navigation
  • Stealth

And a few changes I'm making:

• Interconected levels - The player has to figure out the most efficient way to navigate
  • Sewers - They serve as fast travel to avoid backtracking
  • Fuel as timer - Player needs fuel to navegate going full speed is more ineficient
  • Resources - The player has to balance the fuel and the ammo that can carry for a mission
  • More realistic levels - I'm adjusting the models of the levels to make them a little more believable

And I found out that is near imposible to make levels if the gameplay is not well defined.

robgacu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 06:04:02 PM »

Placing props around the level

To avoid have to place them by hand each wall segment has spawn points where different props are instantiated, the intention is to make the environment look messy and deteriorated but it looks a little odd to me.

A few quick solutions:

• Randomize the props positions a little
  • More variety, they are just like 5 and I'm not using textures or normal maps so they a quick to make

InterGalactic
Level 0

Indigo Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 07:23:09 PM »

Hey, first off great to see a another fellow Roguelite and spaceship game!!

It's looking awesome, I love the ambience. Reminds me of Bioshock and the Matrix in terms of the art style. Keep up~

-Leon

robgacu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 08:14:05 PM »

Hey thanks, and I should update the first page the game is not a roguelite anymore but still has random elements, I love roguelites and I tried to make one of this game but this game is just too slow to be fun as a roguelite.

robgacu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 05:32:24 PM »

Added more variety and details in the models in the level

Hi, I think the main problem with the last image it was that the positions of all the props was just too perfect, now their positions are diferent and a little randomized, and also there are more models.

It looks good enough to me, it will be nice to have more props variety but now I'm going to start working in the materials and the lighting.

robgacu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2017, 05:29:40 PM »

Adjusting the materials and colors

I've been reading about which values are best for creating materials with the standard shader from Unity and this is the result.

A few things I want to change:

• The walls are too plain - I'm going to add some cables along the walls and a little more dirt with using vertex colors.
  • Too much blue - Maybe it will look better if the light from the ship is more warm
  • More lights - The place is supposed to be abandoned but I think it looks a little too dull if nothing stand out

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 08:23:29 AM »

I think the overall style and aesthetic is looking good! Like you said, some more variance in the background, etc, will definitely help.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
robgacu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 04:08:12 PM »

I think the overall style and aesthetic is looking good! Like you said, some more variance in the background, etc, will definitely help.

Thanks, I've been playing around with the vertex colors to simulate ambient oclussion and a little more dirtiness in the walls, the result is a little subtle in the game and less noticeable in the gifs but is there.

Now I'm going to start working in some diferent scenes like the surface and the sewers.

robgacu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2017, 05:37:11 PM »

Hi, I changed a few things about the description of the game, trying to explain the game has been more hard than I thought!, I've been describing the game as a top down stealth game but I think this could me misleading.

I think that in stealth games people expect to have precise information about the environment before taking action (cones of view, visible sound reach, detailed maps) something like Mark of the ninja, but the gameplay in this game has a lot more in common with Metro 2033 and survivor horror games.

So now I'm describing the game as an open world survivor horror game, if somebody has played the kshatriya level from Metro Last Light, is basically that but the full game.

I'm also working in the sewers modules, the main purpose of the sewers is to serve as fast travel and a few mission areas, the level still needs textures and more variation but I already defined the places this props are spawned, so I can just create a bunch of prefabs later and let the level choose them.

The prefabs in blue can be replaced with another prefab of the same category, like: propsUp, propsLateral and propsDown.

robgacu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2017, 11:39:16 PM »

I've been working improving the art of the game, I added more details and color to the level design, then the old hovership was looking out of place so I changed  the model to match the environment.

Also implemented a few effects from the Unity particle pack like explosions and mist, the old effects  made by me sucked, so I think I'm just going to buy a few particles packs from the asset store and modify them to implement the rest of the effects.

I also started working in the AI of the enemies, I took the idea of using gameObjects as states for a FSM from here: http://www.codingjargames.com/blog/2012/04/09/unity-state-machines/, using the OnEnable and OnDisable functions to initialize and finalize states, and also I added a few things like events and conditions, for example: a collision can add an event called OnCollision then I can have conditions in each state that can be suscribed to the event and change the state of the stateMachine.

There are a few more things but I'm using this for basically everything like UI, the player object, and anything that has a simple or complex behavior.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic