Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:48:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeTrying to design a game around the "eureka" chill-ish sensation
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Trying to design a game around the "eureka" chill-ish sensation  (Read 881 times)
Blockers
Level 0

SIGILL? WHAT?!

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2015, 12:56:48 PM »

This is probably going to sound a bit odd of a question, but I've been spending a lot of time recently trying to experiment and refine mechanics and stories that give you that chill-down-the-spine feeling when you make a (sometimes horrifying) connection in your mind about the story or the game.
Right now I think discovery and exploration-based mechanics that connect to some kind of over-arching lore would probably be my best chance. But, if anyone else has any ideas, it'll save me years trying to figure it out Smiley.
G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 04:28:23 AM »

One gaming moment that sticks out is one of the elder scrolls games...I can't remember if it was Morrowind or Oblivion (not skyrim). I went exploring deep inside a cave and came across a little hermit shelter and started digging through all the contents. I found a journal and started reading it. I can't remember exactly what it contained but I remember feeling quite freaked out; the person who lived there was seriously crazy and had done some horrible things.

Now normally in real life if I'm overwhelmed by a creepy book I'll just put it down and I'm instantly back in the real world so I can take a breather. In the game however, when I closed the book I was still inside the cave and I was suddenly reminded that I'm actually in the home of this crazy NPC. That really creeped me out for a second and I felt compelled to get out of there ASAP becore the NPC returns. The fact that I was kind of lost and had no idea where the cave entrance (safety) was added to the effect.

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 02:14:55 PM »

Well in terms of story, I think no writer is able to hit that note consistently, this is pretty much the entire point of an entire genre of stories after all. I presume you are not asking about how to write an effective horror game.

But I can think of a few games where there has been a euraka moment figuring out the game mechanics or puzzle which has been quite chilling. For example, some games don't *tell* you to do something horrific. They set a goal, and let the player slowly come to the realization of what the only possible solution is (or the consequences of what they have

). I guess the idea is the additional agency games give you over passive entertainment can make things hit home a lot more.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic