Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 12:14:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMetal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22
Print
Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain  (Read 28876 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 26, 2015, 12:04:44 AM »

sound like kojima and konami

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 27, 2015, 02:15:48 PM »

hi im still playing this gam

CONTROVERSIAL OPINION: i think it might actually be my favorite in the series
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 27, 2015, 02:37:26 PM »

where is it controversial with all the raving praise around you? Huh?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 27, 2015, 02:42:32 PM »

a lot of metal gear fans seem to dislike it idk  Shrug
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 27, 2015, 02:54:45 PM »

they dislike the lack of heavy handed story because that's what make them excited, also the game appear cut in so many way it's disappointed, it's like zelda, a bad zelda game is still top of the game. So take those dislike relatively.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: October 27, 2015, 03:02:53 PM »

but i *prefer* it over the other mgs games (i THINK, not sure yet). i certainly find it the most fun to actually play.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 03:13:06 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Areku
Level 1

Well yeah.

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 27, 2015, 07:32:33 PM »

i certainly find it the most fun to actually play.

Can't argue with that. Unlike some other open world games (looking at you Witcher), there wasn't a level in which I thought "this is boring" or "this is unfair". They created a pretty solid and consistent gameplay system that *works*.

If this was any other series, I'd be more than satisfied. Metal gear, though, made its fame on subverting the expectations of the player and finding loopholes in their own systems.
In MGS1, you had psycho mantis and the game becoming self aware. 2 had all the cryptic codec messages as you realised you were dealing with an AI. 3 had those cinematic moments: the sniper fight with The End, the ladder at the end of the tunnel, the duel with Ocelot after the game had apparently ended. 4 had you run around the world in radically different settings, and a boatload of cinematics and conversation.

With V, there's very few moments that are memorable in themselves. The fights are fun, the stealth is fun, but it all boils down to "Uh, I sneaked around a town, then fultoned some soldiers, and there was a truck at the end, I hid C4 in the back and when the target got in it I blew it up then ran away."
Compare that to stuff like "I went in a cave and suddenly there was this guy who could summon tommy guns made of BEES" or "The president of the US just groped my character after I almost killed him with a guided missile" or "I just had a final fistfight with my lifelong nemesis atop a nuclear submarine".

MGS as a whole thrived on being a back-to-back of those handcrafted moments, each more over the top than the last. It didn't jump the shark because everyone *expected* it do so.  Mechanically, phantom pain is probably the best metal gear, but it feels like it lost some of the series' spirit.

I could also say a lot about how sutherland makes a terrible snake impression but this is getting pretty ranty already. >_>
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 28, 2015, 03:28:32 AM »

MGS as a whole thrived on being a back-to-back of those handcrafted moments, each more over the top than the last. It didn't jump the shark because everyone *expected* it do so.  Mechanically, phantom pain is probably the best metal gear, but it feels like it lost some of the series' spirit.

I found the the ending cutscene in mgs4 almost unwatchable tbh, so yes it definitely did jump the shark imo. i actually like the direction mgs5 is going in with its storytelling even if the execution is flawed (namely, the plot crawls along at snail pace and like you said there are fewer "moments"). moving the endless codecsposition dumps to tapes you can listen to while playing was a good idea tho. as is making snake shut the hell up most of the time rather than unnecessarily padding out dialog sequences by having him repeat words the other person just said like some sort of gruff voiced parrot.

also the thing is I'm not really a *fan* of metal gear. I like the games and I have huge respect for them (like i said it's one of the few military themed games i can play), but in the end MGSV comes pretty damn close to being my ideal stealth game so to be perfectly honest i don't really care if it's true to the series or not. i can understand it from a fan perspective tho.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 04:01:39 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 28, 2015, 03:34:33 AM »

i liked that the interminable, shitty, and ridiculous 45 minute cutscene entitled Why I Don't Have TO Make A Sequel By Hideo Kojima Aged 8 was immediately followed up by an attempt to make a chronological sequel spinoff game that they fucked up. mgs4 is A George Lucas Game and its insane that nobody watched that cutscene or read the script and at any point said "hey instead of this you should do absolutely fucking anything else"
Areku
Level 1

Well yeah.

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 28, 2015, 04:30:41 AM »

i can understand it from a fan perspective tho.

Yeah, tbh that's probably the heart of it. The thing a friend said that started me thinking about that was "being a better game doesn make V a better metal gear".
And I sorta agree? People who followed MGS so far came to expect a series of cliches from the series, and TPP, in trying to streamline the format, sorta dropped a fair bit of them.

It's like having bugs bunny say "what's up doc". It's not particularly funny, nor does it add anything important to the story, and a casual or first time watcher would barely noticed if it disappeared. But if it WAS removed, pretty much every cartoon afficionado would complain, because it'd break their expectations of the character.
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 28, 2015, 07:56:51 AM »

it's like zelda, a bad zelda game is still top of the game. So take those dislike relatively.
you're wrong.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 28, 2015, 10:25:34 AM »

blanket statement is blank

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 28, 2015, 04:43:50 PM »

mgs4 is A George Lucas Game and its insane that nobody watched that cutscene or read the script and at any point said "hey instead of this you should do absolutely fucking anything else"

yep, pretty much
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 28, 2015, 05:28:32 PM »

i like how huey, despite being a murderer, compulsive liar and general scumbag, is pretty much exactly right about the morality of diamond dogs. i don't think big boss, venom snake, miller, ocelot etc are "better" people than him at all. most people are probably going ignore this because huey is a hypocrite and a character seemingly written to be hated. pretty clever move on kojima's part tbh.
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: October 28, 2015, 06:14:15 PM »

Maybe the reason some people (personally i think it's the worst game in the main series) really liked this metal gear game over the others is that this one is an order of magnitude easier than any other game in the main series, i mean, even the stealth is easier than prior games as enemies can't see very far even endgame AND if you get spotted you get a free 10 second mulligan where you can just headshot them quickly with a supressed gun and not even throw an alert. I S-ranked half the missions first try and i'm TERRIBLE at stealth games.  Then on top of that there's the whole real-time facebook-esque deployment missions and pointless unlocks system that makes the game basicly play like a F2P casual game.  It really is a metal-gear designed more towards casual gamers than anything else.

It still has the metal-gear story we all love, which is mostly why i continued playing it through the boring parts, but the combat and sneaking is just so shallow this time around, it's like the series has been steadily removing things since mgs3 to make it more and more generic. I mean, in mgs3 you could capture a snake and drop it on a guard to panic him as a distraction, while it followed a direct path and a set story i'd say MGS3 was FAR more "open" than 5 as you could be far more creative in how you got through the areas.

-Fuzzy Spider
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 28, 2015, 06:23:21 PM »

IN MGS4 he sincerely tried to kill the franchise by exacerbating all the things people criticized him to do, so player could say "don't let kojima make a game" at konami, the game sold even more and end up the goty of many people ... poor Kojima

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 28, 2015, 06:30:07 PM »

i'd say MGS3 was FAR more "open" than 5 as you could be far more creative in how you got through the areas.

lolno
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 28, 2015, 07:22:50 PM »

i'd say MGS3 was FAR more "open" than 5 as you could be far more creative in how you got through the areas.

lolno

But also, MGS4 is my favourite Metal Gear of the ones I have played just cause everything.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 04, 2015, 08:51:56 PM »

well that's interesting

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 05, 2015, 10:29:03 AM »

So arguably V is more focused on core-gameplay overall? If so I'll have to try it.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic