Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 01:54:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLazy Climber
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Lazy Climber  (Read 663 times)
digsource
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2015, 11:05:04 PM »

Good day, everyone.

I'm starting a game with the default name "Lazy Climber." I was going to call it "Claws" but people might think it's a prize claw game.

Other potential names are:

-Arc Climber
-Arc the Sloth
-Lazy Claws
-Sloth Claws
-Claw your way...

windows 7 screen shot

Fig 1. is the starting position. The red bar to the left indicates the distance the closest front claws must be to the hind legs after every turn. The blue opaque bar on the left claw indicates the collision mask.

image free hosting

Fig 2. shows the path upon which a claw takes every turn. This is automatic and always measures a distance of one In-game foot.

image free hosting

Fig 3. shows the hind legs catching up to the left claw during the right claw's turn to climb. If you'll notice the sprites are slightly different from when it's stationary.

image hosting adult

Fig 4. is just a paused final position of the turn. It only occurs for a fraction of a second and I only paused it to emphasize sprite changed after every turn. Notice the left frontal claw and hind claws are positioned perpendicular to the tree trunk.

photo uploading

Fig 5. demonstrates how the game is played. Not tapping the screen, the claws slowly climb a semi-circular path as shown in Figures 2 and 3. This is travelled slowly, possibly 1 second for the claw to travel a full arc. When a player taps the screen, the currently moving claw takes a more parabolic path quickly. Possibly 200 milliseconds. I have yet to decide if it'll take a set parabolic path or simply increase the horizontal speed of the claw.

screenshot windows

This second picture shows the hazards a player will be encountering throughout the climb.
From top to bottom are:

1. Young branch - this branch drops a player 2 in-game feet when touched by a claw.

2. Standard branch - No effect

3. Dead branch / broken branch - touching a dead branch will cause it to break, dropping the player 2 in-game feet, touching the broken branch will cause the player to fall, this equates to one game-over.

4. Woodpecker - occasionally a player will encouter holes, some of which might contain woodpeckers. If a claw collides with the beak the player again falls. another game-over.

screen shot windows 7

Above are some concept art I haven't yet created.
1. A bomb that goes off after 2 or 3 seconds giving the player a small window of opportunity to evade.
2. This is a re-skin of an Apple I made for another game. I might switch it to berries that either cause instant death or that you may keep to save you from falls. Basically extra lives.

Game modes will be standard arcade mode and possibly time-trials and beat-the-clocks.

Development is at 0%. I'll be contacting programmers from the collabs section right after posting this.
I'm very open to suggestions. Feel free to comment on how I might improve the game and msg me if you'd like to help.

Thanks!!!  Wink
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 08:52:19 AM by digsource » Logged
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 04:27:59 AM »

So i have to avoid hazards like dead branches with the hands, but the legs avoid hazards automatically?
digsource
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 08:53:43 AM »

host images

Bump: Updated Images for better viewing.

Ok I'd like to introduce some mechanics.
Post above is pretty much how the game is going to be played (with highlighted collision masks)
Notice the Almond and Leaf at the upper left corner.

I'd like to include Almonds as in-game collectibles.
Theyre basically the player's score and will force them to take more risks when shooting for more almonds as opposed to
playing for Altitude. There will also be achievements such as max almonds in a single game and total number of almonds collected.
Same goes with Alt. Best Alt for single game and total Alt climbed.

The collectible leaves on the otherhand are lives, they protect from dying once but will disappear upon use.

So i have to avoid hazards like dead branches with the hands, but the legs avoid hazards automatically?

To answer your question, Yes. The hind legs don't have a collision mask. As you can see in the pic above, having a collision check for the hind legs
might make the game complicated, possibly slower if we were to make it so there's a turn for each appendage. I'm open to suggestions though. Thanks for the rep.  Wink
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic