Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412120 Posts in 69453 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Imaynotbehere4long

June 30, 2024, 01:08:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCold Vengeance - 90s Style 3D Run 'n' Gun [OUT NOW!]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Cold Vengeance - 90s Style 3D Run 'n' Gun [OUT NOW!]  (Read 30691 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2016, 09:30:24 AM »

Update 5/12/2016

Recently I've been working on two things.  First is I've been having friends test an early build of the game, and thus been doing a lot of little fixes and tweaks.  For example, I've changed how powerups are dropped.  They are no longer dropped by enemies, and are now found in crates scattered through the levels.  This will not only deal with the confusion that was caused by enemies who were out of reach of the player dropping powerups, but also let me reward the player some more for exploring the levels.

I'm also doing rough passes on the remaining levels.  It is looking very likely that I'll have a rough pass on the entire game done by the end of the month, which I'm excited about.  There will still be a fair amount of work to do after that, though: cutscenes, a few missing bosses, polishing the levels, ect...

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:52:20 AM by Alec S. » Logged

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2016, 12:45:47 PM »

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2016, 11:43:55 AM »

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2016, 07:32:11 AM »

Captain Power And the Soldiers of the Future kinda robot.
With that chest area.

Man, I loved that show...

Yeah.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2016, 01:13:48 PM »

I'm not familiar with it, but looking it up, it looks rad! 

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2016, 01:05:28 AM »

The robot design in that show is quite compatible with your game.

Yeah.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2016, 08:43:17 PM »

Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2016, 12:55:29 PM »

The gameplay looks fun, the artstyle is consistent and brings back memories, and the plot is absolutely hilarious. Good luck with finishing development of the game.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2016, 02:48:30 PM »

Thanks!  Gentleman

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2016, 12:34:13 PM »

5/20/16

I hit a milestone today:  I now have at the very least a rough pass of each level of the game (not including boss-only stages).  There are a total of 14 stages (including the motorcycle level and the raft level) not including boss stages.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: June 10, 2016, 06:45:40 PM »

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2016, 07:48:09 PM »

Duel in the Forest

Shnurbs
Level 0

heyo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: June 18, 2016, 05:57:21 PM »

Wow. That's an incredibly striking art style you've got going on here. Gameplay looks pretty fun too!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: July 12, 2016, 06:30:37 PM »

Cold Vengeance just made it through Greenlight!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2016, 07:57:00 AM »

Just a quick update (8/13/16):

Development slowed down quite a bit over the past couple months as I had a summer job which took up most of my time.  However, work on the game will resume this coming week, so stay tuned.  My goal is to have the game finished by the end of the year (although hopefully sooner). 

As I said back in May, the I have basically a rough pass of the whole game at this point.  Most of what remains is:
- Cutscenes
- Incorporating feedback from playstesting
- Sound Effects
- A few side areas that need work
- Polishing the levels
- Menu and interface work
- General tweaking and fixing
- Some missing or incomplete bosses

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: August 16, 2016, 10:00:57 PM »

Added a rushing water effect to the canyon level:

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: August 18, 2016, 10:39:46 AM »

In an effort to eschew naturalism in favor of arcady-ness, I have added arcade arrows:

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 18, 2016, 11:40:01 AM »

This looks awesome, I keep seeing bits and pieces of it around TIGS and it hits that right note of nostalgia (with some added color finesse).

I am really liking the feel of the gameplay you've got going, it kind makes me think of the Siphon Filter games (which I absolutely love), but please tell me there is or is going to be an awesome sword (or whatever) melee attack! Especially the image where you have the jumping Mouser-looking guys I have this overwhelming mental urge to move forward and start slashing away. Especially with the constant forward-looking camera I could see instances where you'd move pillar to pillar for cover so that you could close in on a shot-resistant enemy to get in a defense-busting melee strike.

If you haven't played the Siphon Filter games (PS1), I highly recommend checking them out (they have a lot of the same elements going on including the forward-looking camera and strafe movement). There are a lot of good ideas in them you could mine.

EDIT: Speaking of cover, I am not seeing a lot of it in your screenshots, even though in this type of game cover is absolute gold. Especially with some kind of roll or pop-in/pop-out mechanic it is great. Even if you don't take it that far and just keeping the movement options as is, just putting in more things to hide behind would be a great tactical asset.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: August 18, 2016, 12:06:04 PM »

Thanks!

I haven't played Syphon Filter, but that's definitely the era of early 3D I'm going for here.  I should check it out.

Melee attacks are something I've considered, but they're currently not in the game.  I may play around with some sort of melee attack, but I don't have specific plans for it right now.

Some levels do have things you can hide behind (trees in the forest, rocks in the arid levels, ect...) but I really don't want to make this game too cover-heavy.  I want it to be less stop-and-pop and more run-n-gun.  Basically, I'm going for something in between Sin and Punishment and Jet Force Gemini.

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 18, 2016, 12:13:07 PM »

Some levels do have things you can hide behind (trees in the forest, rocks in the arid levels, ect...) but I really don't want to make this game too cover-heavy.  I want it to be less stop-and-pop and more run-n-gun.  Basically, I'm going for something in between Sin and Punishment and Jet Force Gemini.
Yeah, ideally you'd alternate. Cover segment, run-and-gun segment, cover segment, run-and-gun segment, and so on. It'd give the game a nice balance of "heated" gameplay followed by "cool down" gameplay allowing the player to have periods of immediate tension and periods of slow caution.

If you have any story you want to get across the periods of slow caution are a great time to drop them (the way your game operates it'd be awesome to pick up some item of some sort that tells a chunk of background info or something).

Anyways, just a thought. From what I can see it looks awesome so no matter how you go about it I'm interested!

If at any point there is anything I can do to help feel free to shoot me a message.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic