Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:43:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCold Vengeance - 90s Style 3D Run 'n' Gun [OUT NOW!]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Cold Vengeance - 90s Style 3D Run 'n' Gun [OUT NOW!]  (Read 30287 times)
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 10:30:16 AM »

I meant about the sequel to Flashback. Lips Sealed

A wee bit too much mechanical blood splatter.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:35:26 AM by eyeliner » Logged

Yeah.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 12:31:42 PM »

I meant about the sequel to Flashback. Lips Sealed
Oh, haha.  No, I haven't seen that either, but I'm watching footage now, and I like the look of it.

A wee bit too much mechanical blood splatter.

Yeah, there are going to eventually be different explosion effects for different enemy types.  Just using this one for everything for now since it looks better than having nothing there.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2015, 03:44:34 PM »

One of the mechanics in the game is a Jetpack powerup that you can find in each level. In addition to giving you more mobility in combat, it will also give you access to side paths and hidden areas which you couldn't reach on foot.  However, if you take a hit with the jetpack, the jetpack will explode, giving you only 3 seconds in which to detach yourself from it.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2015, 01:28:04 PM »

9/18/15

So far, for the most part, my level design has been mostly focused on functionality, getting the overall shape of the level blocked out in broad strokes.  Today I decided to try my hand at polishing a section of a level a bit.  Making things less boxy, making the ground more uneven, giving the rocks-faces of the cliffs some more shape and definition.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2015, 09:59:58 AM »

Took a little break from this to deal with the release of the other game I had been working on, Ninja Outbreak (available now on Itch.io, vote for it on Greenlight!), but now I'm back, and working on the powerup drops.  I can now give each enemy a drop table which lists the percentage chances of dropping whichever powerups I want them to drop.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2015, 09:19:57 AM »

Jetpack Soldiers.  Hit them once to destroy their jetpacks and send them back down to earth (...in pieces)

Also, new ground textures for the city environment

danespacey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2015, 09:49:53 AM »

Hey guys, looking good! I know you're going for low polys but how much tweaking to the overall look of the game do you think you will change? I like how it looks now but maybe a bit more of a subtle palette could look good? Or higher def textures?
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2015, 10:25:53 AM »

I'm still tweaking the look, so we'll see, but I like the low-poly low-res look, so whatever it ends up being, it's going to be some variation on that.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2015, 10:48:04 AM »

Changed how the fog effects work (Changed from exponential to linear).  It lets me directly set an end-distance which is important for gameplay purposes (Since I limit the player to fighting enemies within a certain range, it helps for them not to be able to see enemies outside of that range) as well as lets me preserve an area around the player that isn't effected at all by the fog, so the colors don't get washed out.  The transition to fog doesn't look quite as nice, but I think the benefits make up for that overall.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 11:12:55 AM by Alec S. » Logged

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2015, 10:25:53 AM »

A couple more screenshots:

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2015, 06:41:00 PM »

Here's an example of how the Jetpack can open up new paths through the level.  One of my main concerns when designing around the Jetpack is to make it so that you get access to different challenges, or different ways to approach existing challenges, but you can't use the jetpack get out of having any sort of challenge.

In this alleyway, Barbarians jump out of the windows to ambush you.

However, if you have the Jetpack, you can fly from window ledge to window ledge, completely avoiding the Barbarians.  But there are soldiers waiting up in the windows to attack if you fly over, which wouldn't come into play if you stayed on the ground.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2015, 02:28:24 PM »

Added an effect where the point value of each enemy will pop out when you kill them.  Also, added a mechanic to have locked-in areas for self-contained combat encounters.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2015, 12:08:57 PM »

Screenshot Saturday

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2015, 08:11:45 AM »

Chasms

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2015, 09:32:48 AM »

The stopper mechanic has allowed us a bit more freedom in how we design encounters, since now we can keep the player from running/flying past enemies.  The main thing this means is we can freely design mini-bosses.  Ben and I had a design meeting to brainstorm potential miniboss ideas.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2015, 02:47:03 PM »

Bombers

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2015, 09:24:27 AM »

Screenshot Saturday: Missile Drone

Also, for anyone who is interested, I'm currently running a Pay What You Want sale for my previous game, Ninja Outbreak, for the day of Halloween: http://itch.io/s/2486/ninja-outbreak-halloween-sale

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2015, 10:58:40 AM »

Proximity Laser Mine

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2015, 02:40:08 PM »

And, while we're at it, here's a gif of a miniboss I put together today:

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2015, 10:40:56 AM »

Posting to follow.
Your 2D level design tutorials really helped me out, so let's see what I can learn from your 3D endeavours.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic